Author Topic: 0-2 sensor  (Read 10520 times)

Otto_Ing

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 06:07:19 pm
My best guess is that it is a PAV system which injects air into the exhaust port to reduce emissions. Similar systems were used on AVL and Iron Barrel models to help them pass emission control tests.

If it is a PAV, then it has no use other than emission control, and it(along with all the other related PAV system parts) can be removed without causing problems. Resulting holes must be plugged appropriately.

Verify with a dealer if that is a PAV system. It definitely looks to be one.

On the head that I have here from a US model, there is a solid boss in the casting at that location, but nothing is drilled thru it. Just a blank boss. So, apparently it has no usefulness in the US models.

Got the confirmation from the dealer. It is a PAV, thank you for the explanation. The dealer apparently gave me somewhat confusing information:

DEALER:
The Item that the Yellow arrow is pointing out to is a Pulse air Valve used to supply air to the throttle body as and when required.
This item is only in the Indian Bikes as it is not required in UK due the the atmospheric conditions. Due to our Country being so hot and Humid we have this Mechanism.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:10:02 pm by Otto_Ing »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:42 pm
Got the confirmation from the dealer. It is a PAV, thank you for the explanation. The dealer apparently gave me somewhat confusing information:

DEALER:
The Item that the Yellow arrow is pointing out to is a Pulse air Valve used to supply air to the throttle body as and when required.
This item is only in the Indian Bikes as it is not required in UK due the the atmospheric conditions. Due to our Country being so hot and Humid we have this Mechanism.

Otto,
You do not need to worry about that PAV device interfering with any part of your engine's performance, as long as it has no air leaks in any of the hoses or fittings.
It is purely extraneous to anything except emission control. Many people just remove them, along with all their corresponding plumbing, and plug all the fitting holes. That will not affect running in any way. You will not need that device for hooking up a Power Commander, and a Power Commander does not need the O2 sensor or the bung on the exhaust header for the O2 sensor, so your exhaust pipe will be fine for using a Power Commander if you decide to use that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:15:28 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !