Author Topic: Hiccups?  (Read 2930 times)

Magoo

• Bulleteer
on: October 04, 2014, 05:43:41 am
Forgive my non mechanical terminology here.
My 2013 C5 (just shy of 18000km on the odo) has started to cut out or jolt a little while riding.
No particular moments but the frequency has picked up of late. Sometimes when accelerating, others when cruising at 100kmh.
Just a quick little hiccup here and there and misses a beat. Sometimes 4-5 times, sometimes just once.
Fuel issue? Missing a spark?

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:45:18 am
Check your connections to your battery

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:55:54 am
Bingo.
Negative terminal almost snapped through and hanging on by a thread.
Thanks!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:00:06 am
noreaster
good call as i too had thought plug or negative battery lead. i have had them break in 2k or less so magoo -you have had a very good run if this is the first fix ;)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:15:30 am
Guys, what is the normal fix for this?

Mine broke when I removed the battery for the first time.  I drilled the remaining tab and reconnected it.  Is there a better solution?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:52 am
Somewhere in one of the threads here someone mentioned getting some of the crimp on terminal end adapters they picked up at an auto parts store.
Knock on wood (as I tap on my own head) I've made it to 3k on my C5 with no issues like that. Yesterday while my bike was at the dealers getting its 3K service I asked them to replace the OEM battery with a maintenance free one. They didn't mention having to fix the connectors. My dealer also set my bike up with the battery tender wire when it was first delivered to me, so maybe they just replaced them out of the crate. Not sure as I haven't had any need to take any of that apart.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 02:01:43 pm
Any auto parts store sells wiring terminals.  Just cut the old one off of the wire and take it in to match it up.  I think Ducati Scotty and Mattz actually replaced the main battery cables in the harness with some better quality more flexible wires and made them a little bit longer than stock to take some of the tension off of the terminal itself.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,18593.0.html
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 04:58:01 pm
People here seem to like to use NAPA connectors, part #784572.  Ducatti Scotty posted this pic:

As you say, Scottie - my OEM terminal broke; I shortened the wire cutting off the dead lead and then used one of the above.  It broke, too.  My battery cable is getting shorter!  That's when I decided to go to bigger gauge, but more flexible, cable and re-lead to take the strain off.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:43:20 pm
Magoo: there have been reports that a dodgy ignition switch can cause this intermittent cutting out.  It is a known issue (albeit not especially common) on our bikes.

Give it a wiggle as you are going along and see if you can make it misfire on demand.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:26:54 pm
This type of battery connection or something like it might be helpful for this type of problem.

http://www.remybattery.com/Fusion-Solder-Connectors-C1459.aspx
Oh Magoo you done it again

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 04:54:26 pm
We do have destructive vibration...

I wonder if those elbow connectors would ease the fitting?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 05:09:19 pm
Probably..Not expensive but you'll need a heat gun (not a soldering iron)  to get it hot enough to do the trick..A small amount of solder on the cable before inserting into the connector should make the union el perfecto..GM

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:30 am
6 gauge 1/4 lugs from NAPA for negative battery cable

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:24 am
Here is the info, from Ducati Scotty...the search function works great! ;-/

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,18593.0/all.html

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 02:35:19 pm
Gypsyjon: Great link and Duc has provided enough details to get the job done the way it should be..One of the first thing I did was replaced the battery connector ends and used a dremel to clean up all the main chassis ground points..I haven't experienced the cable snapping at a stress point due to vibration yet but I wouldn't be surprise if it did as I did notice it a bit under gauge..It's been 6 years and so far held together...GM