Author Topic: New to hack driving  (Read 6402 times)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
on: July 31, 2008, 03:14:17 am
Hi all,

I'm waiting patiently for my '06 Electra w/cozy euro hack. Have taken a sidecar class and just want to pick other's brains about what you think about driving a hack pros and cons.

The hack is for my ridgeback who is too big to ride on the tank. But if he grew thumbs, he would certainly be able to drive the rig. The legs are long enough, and he's strong enough.

thanks,
gromit and top dawg
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:21:54 pm
yah but what would happen when he saw a cat on a minibike?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:52 pm
Have taken a sidecar class and just want to pick other's brains about what you think about driving a hack pros and cons.

Pros:
Convenience, convenience, convenience. No more backpack! Just throw that stuff in the hack! Drive through MickyD's at lunch and bring it back to the office! Stop at the guard gate and show your badge without fumbling around and almost tipping over.

Carry a human and a dog!

Fun: Fly the chair in the parking lot and impress family friends and co-workers!

Cons:
Heavy and slow, slow and heavy. Before you yoke it up, drive the RE solo. Feel how nimble and, yes, fast it is! Now yoke up that anchor. All is lost. You are the turtle, not the hare. Grin and bear it!

More to wash! More to maintain, added complexity! Toe in, lean-out, is it level with the ground,  do I need ballast? Am I straining my chain, my clutch? Do I need heavier clutch springs? Should I add a brake onto the hack?

Welcome to the world of sidecars on slow motorcycles!

Matt
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:27:03 pm by Thumper »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:53:45 pm
My only sidecar experience was years ago in the dirt and it was a load of fun, but I have always heard that you should break in the bike before starting to drag a sidecar around.  Have you been to http://www.cyclesidecar.com/  ?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:01:47 am
It's fantastic. Remember it is what it is. Have fun & enjoy.  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
!
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:58 pm
I just sold my Dnepr to buy a new military with a hack set up.
I used the Dnepr like I used my pickup, I hauled 2X4's, pipes, tools, you name it! :D
I've seem "dumper bodies" on Ural rigs, so the posibilities are really endless!
I got mine, hopped on it, almost flipped when I hit a curb with the side car wheel!
Take my advice, have the dealer show you how to "ride" one before you head out onto the roads of America! Take it to a parking lot and get to know your rig!
Yes, it is a LOT slower than a bike, but it's 10000% more fun to ride!
I plan on putting knobbies on mine and that's my winter ride! Stud them up when it snows.(That's why I got the Military model, no chrome to polish, pressure wash and go!) ;D
 I'm also dropping the front sproket  1 tooth, to get more off the line torque, (that'll lower the top speed, but give me more umph so I don't have to slip the clutches)
I'd recommend changing your oil more often, (it's working harder ALL the time).
Joe
So amnt bikes, so few $$

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:34 am

I got mine, hopped on it, almost flipped when I hit a curb with the side car wheel!
Take my advice, have the dealer show you how to "ride" one before you head out onto the roads of America! Take it to a parking lot and get to know your rig!

That's the reason I took the S/TEP class. Had fun flying the hack and learned how to handle it when that happens.
TD did get to ride in one, LOVED it. just like a dog. He does really well with riding. Does not try to hop out. But I will be having him harnessed in the sidecar to be safe for both of us. Besides, I use a car harness with him in the car why take a risk with open air.

Just having a hard time waiting for my rig to arrive. Last heard the hack was still in the water sailing to newport news, then had to go to Oregon then me in WA.
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

calman28556

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:44 am
Yes, take a spin for before you solo.  Also, as one of the other guys said, take a class if one is available.  Might got to www.sidecar.com and look up Hal Kendall's book on sidecar driving.  Can download for free.

When I got my RE with hack I also had a '96 Yamaha .  Thought I'd keep both and ride the Yamaha on "off days".  Found it was sitting and dusting so I sold it.  The hack is defintely more fun.

Cal
On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 02:55:58 pm
Personally, I feel a lot safer on a sidecar unit.
Also, you can ride all year round. Snow is no problem.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 06:36:43 pm
I've read some about hack driving but never done it.  Assuming one wanted to use the hack part of the time and two wheels only the rest of the time, how difficult is it to disconnect/reconnect the rig?  And, having set said unit up, are there any adjustments made to the bike that will make it ride differently once the hack is removed?  I ask that last because I was once told that (third- or fourth-hand information, I hasten to add) a guy, having removed his hack, found his motorcycle very difficult to handle.  I believe this particular bike had a leading link (or Earles) fork unit on the front, if that makes a difference.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 01:44:53 am
I've read some about hack driving but never done it.  Assuming one wanted to use the hack part of the time and two wheels only the rest of the time, how difficult is it to disconnect/reconnect the rig?  And, having set said unit up, are there any adjustments made to the bike that will make it ride differently once the hack is removed?  I ask that last because I was once told that (third- or fourth-hand information, I hasten to add) a guy, having removed his hack, found his motorcycle very difficult to handle.  I believe this particular bike had a leading link (or Earles) fork unit on the front, if that makes a difference.

Most Urals come with a leading link front end. Trying to ride one solo is an invitation for disaster. The Troyka (noe discontinued) and the Retro have lelescopic front ends and can be ridden solo.
You should be able to disconnect the Enfield and run it solo, BUT if you have any miles on it with the hack, the tires will have squared off and it will be an interesting ride. get an extra pair of rims and tires if you are going to be swapping back and forth.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 04:25:33 am
Don't know about Urals, but /2 BMW's with Ealres forks are adjustable for either sidecar or solo use.  If you take the tub off without re-adjusting the forks, the bike will handle like crap.  Also, most older Beemers (and I think Urals) use sidecar-specific tires that have a block -or flat- tread.  Trying to turn a corner on those tires is REALLY SCARY.  It's doable -but really not worth trying.  Bernie's suggestion about 2 sets of wheels is a good one.

As far as changing back and forth- it's rarely advised.  If the tub adjustments change at all, it's quite time-consuming to get the adjustments back again.

There is much more detailed info at this site; http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/category-view.asp
Run what ya brung

exmayor

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 06:38:28 pm
Land Surveyor
We have an ,06 electra/cozy rig. I took the bike to the indy moto gp along with my ducati.  i removed the sidecar by myself in about 30 min not including the 10 min fitting the right footpeg on.  it took about the same time to re install be required my wife helping to align the sidecar.  i wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis but if you wanted to ride on two wheels only for a period of time it is worth the effort.
'06 Electra w/Rocket sidecar (Green)
'02 Ducati Monster 620 (Dark)