Author Topic: uff, what is going on here (noise, rear wheel)  (Read 3942 times)

alladinko

• Bulleteer
on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:13 pm
something new
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2014 Royal Enfield Classic Military
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:00:47 pm
Unfortunately my computer will not play your file. Can you post it on Youtube? A noise from the rear wheel could have several causes. The wheel or chain could be rubbing on something, it could be a wheel bearing, or it could be the brake. If you are running it in gear on the centerstand, there will be some jerkiness in the rotation of the wheel, causing the chain to whip around. This happens because the rear wheel is speeding up and slowing down with the engine pulses. It won't do that under load.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

alladinko

• Bulleteer
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:57:25 pm
Is that the original chain?  To me it sounds a) loose, b) most likely kinked, c) maybe misaligned.

The rubbing sound is what mine sounded like as it neared its life end. Check the play on it.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:36:21 pm
so it's not just me. looks like kinked links, plates pointing in different directions.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:36:54 pm
it sounds exactly what i just had. a new chain totally fixed it. if that chains old or the OEM chain. change it now!

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:55 pm
oem chain, just returned from 1600 mile trip and :( i have to admit i didn't take the best care of it. this i heard when i finally wanted to lube it again (after long time) and i guess to late. i don't think the chain is loose. but i will check the rear wheel alignment too.  i guess just to be sure i get me a new chain. and - that means better not to ride it at all until fixed? but thanks for this quick diagnosis guys!
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:02:35 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/rk-xsoz1-x-ring-high-performance-chain.html

good choice? overkill?

Sectorsteve, what chain did you get to replace the oem
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:35 pm
I seriously wouldn't bother with alignment etc if you're on the stock chain. I went through all this recently. You can't fix a stuffed chain. I kept tightening , it kept loosening etc...I got a RK chain. It's solid. Paid 170 au. Probably be about 120 there. It's a no ring chain. You need 530 pitch. 102 links. Most chains aren't the right length. I got the shop to shorten mine. I use the old chain to pull through the new chain then connect the links and throw the old chain out. Get that stock chain off before it eats your sprocket if it hasn't already. Have a good look at the rear sprocket teeth. You may need a new one.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:30 pm
That chain looks good btw.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 12:01:59 am
oem chain, just returned from 1600 mile trip and :( i have to admit i didn't take the best care of it. this i heard when i finally wanted to lube it again (after long time) and i guess to late. i don't think the chain is loose. but i will check the rear wheel alignment too.  i guess just to be sure i get me a new chain. and - that means better not to ride it at all until fixed? but thanks for this quick diagnosis guys!

were you the fella who drove around in a loop, montreal, new york etc?
i too was just on a long trip, about the same miles. 700 mile from home i noticed an annoying chain noise and when i looked down when the gears engaged the chain was moving side to side. i thought something was wrong with the front sprocket. i even pulled the engine cover off to look. all was normal. on my way home i was adjusting the chain alot, but it would only be good for about a few miles, then the noise appeared again.  the stuffed chain caused vibrations, which broke my bar end mirror bolt(still stuck in bike) shook my horn off(found hanging off) shook my muffler off(had to "borrow" some wire of a fence roadside to put back on 700 miles from home. needless to say, chain maintenance is a pretty important thing as it can lead to other problems!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 12:34:50 am
Replace the chain before you ride much more.  If you don't it will damage the sprockets, then you need those too.  Please take a look at the teeth on the rear that you can see, see if they're already wearing too much.  Hopefully you got it early.

Scott

alladinko

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 04:20:13 am
will get a new chain. old one goes. i read here not he forum how it can destroy sprocket and how the bad/destroyed teeth look like. I'm pretty good there, I think I got it in time before anything worse happened. thanks steve and scotty.

and steve - i did that canada trip, yes. but you know what - that's why one of the first informations i wrote there about the trip was the year of my bike. 2014. because i see here lot of different experiences with the same machines but different years. so steve - what year is yours. i think i remember you (if it was you) who lost the muffler as you mention it here now as well plus the other stuff.  none of that happened on my bike. i read these stories, i always copied and pasted into a word document all the bad things that happened and always wrote a note when somebody solved the issue - i had the falling off mufflers, loosening and loosing of bolts, nuts, tool box covers flying off etc. and as i said - the only thing - little bit loosened tank on both front fork and the seat connection. tightened it half turn on both and done. i was doing 60, 70 for long periods as well, when i was tired and i COULD say the bike is dealing very nicely with it. if i compare it to the break in period - the handlebars wanted to break my hands off at 50mph. i was scared of that speed. i'm so glad its past. and the chain - i think 2-3 months after purchase it got loose. it was just hanging. i adjusted it two clicks to get it tightened and had no issues with it. but what i was afraid was not having the wheel straight. i was trying some string techniques i found on web, measure it somehow (forgot) but... i didn't find some way i TRUST to KNOW that the wheel is good. so right now the rear wheel is centered 'visually' (let's call it that) and the question is - if that wasn't the problem. little bit misaligned wheel for a longer time. will look into it. friend offered to check it out for me, we'll see how a triumph guy handles enfield :)
1976 Kawasaki KZ 750
1977 Honda CB 550 SS

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:35:10 pm
Definitely a chain noise. I have close to 3500 miles on my 2013, which has a non 0-ring chain. I lube it every 300 miles (sometimes more often) with BelRay "Super Clean" chain lube. I adjusted it once, at around 600 miles, it has not needed adjustment since. I never ride above 60 mph, but I do like to "run up through the gears" once I got it broken in and the shifting improved. I just love the sound. It will be interesting to see how long the chain lasts.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 09:35:50 pm
It's never too early to dump the stock chain. They are junk!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 12:19:41 am
It's never too early to dump the stock chain. They are junk!
Bare

i learned that the hard way!
The new chain has made my bike like a new bike. its really really awesome to ride...again!
the other thing about my chain when it got severely stuffed recently while away, is that to get the alignment right, the snail cams were 7 notches apart. the norm on my bike is 2. stuffed chain is a big no no.
I think i got more vibrations because i was doing more speed. 120kph for long periods, because i was desperate to get home in a day. Of course it didnt happen as i had to keep stopping to pick parts of the bike up!

and btw alladinko, the pix are great! its just beautiful to ride these things in country like that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:25:40 am by Sectorsteve »