Author Topic: Possible bullet electra purchase, a little help plz  (Read 4829 times)

MutantsForNukes

• Scooter
I looked at a 2007 bullet electra for sale, but the owner bought it on a whim, isn't a motorcycle person and couldn't answer some of the questions.  I've searched for this info. online, but there's a lot of somewhat confusing info. out there for Royal Enfields.

I don't think I can be sure it's even a 2007, but it looks very new, and the odometer only has 100 miles on it.  She says the bike is a 350, but I thought bullet electra's were 500s.  Are there 2 different engine sizes for this model?

Also, Is there any way to tell if it is an AVL engine by looking at the engine?

Thank you.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:51 pm
The only thing I can say for sure is about the AVL. The easiest way, I think, for someone not accustomed to the AVL is on the right side of the engine behind the plate where the valves are adjusted, there is also a lever connected to a cable which is the compression release.
On the iron, the compression release is mounted in the head where a spark plug could have been, right above the valve adjusting plate.

MutantsForNukes

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:03:44 pm
Ok, the bike has a little lever on the left side grip marked decomp that is connected to a cable.  I suppose that would mean it's an AVL?  An AVL is preferable too, correct?

I have a Kawi dirtbike kick start only, and it has a decomp mechanism that you invoke by using the kick lever in a certain manner.  This lever on the enfield is essentially the same thing, it's only used when you are going to kick start it, correct?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:29 pm
No, both the iron and AVL have compression release levers. On my AVL, an '08, the lever is on the left grip assembly. You have to look on the right side of the engine as I described to see the arm I was talking about. I "think" all AVLs have the actuating lever on the left grip, but I'm not sure.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:50 pm
Where did the current owner purchase the bike, I thought that there was an Indian
market only 350 AVL but I don't think that they title it as the Electra, there was an
electric start 350 iron engine also called the Electra for the Indian market.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:37 pm
The AVL does NOT have a black cast iron jug.  It's all aluminum alloy.  Easy to detect from a distance.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:28 pm
I looked at a 2007 bullet electra for sale, but the owner bought it on a whim, isn't a motorcycle person and couldn't answer some of the questions.  I've searched for this info. online, but there's a lot of somewhat confusing info. out there for Royal Enfields.

I don't think I can be sure it's even a 2007, but it looks very new, and the odometer only has 100 miles on it.  She says the bike is a 350, but I thought bullet electra's were 500s.  Are there 2 different engine sizes for this model?

Also, Is there any way to tell if it is an AVL engine by looking at the engine?

Thank you.

The bike doesn't happen to be red, does it?
And do they own a marina?

My dealer on Long Island was trying to help with a customer who bought one...and then had second thoughts.
2007 Bullet Deluxe

MutantsForNukes

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:08 pm
The jug is definitely not black, it's the grey/silver/aluminum color.  AVL then?

Not Long Island, other side of the country.  She got it from a local dealer in Phoenix, AZ.  I don't see anything to suggest that it's not a us market bike.  switches and buttons all seem to be in the right place too. 

I would guess it's a 500. 

Nipper

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:25:59 am
Hi,
Details can be found within the engine # which is on the left hand side of the crankcase below the cylinder barrel. 1st # is production year, the 4th character is the engine capacity... eg: 5 would indicate 500 cc. .....hope that helps...

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:32:06 am
The jug is definitely not black, it's the grey/silver/aluminum color.  AVL then? 

It's a 500 AVL.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:04:47 am
Foggy,

It's not that simple on a 500 Classic AVL. The jug is black.
Go to Enfieldmotorcycles.com , click on the classic ( it is an iron ) , then click on the Bullet 500 classic, it; and AVL.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:08:00 am by PhilJ »

MutantsForNukes

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:39 am
Just saw it again, but hadn't read the engine number post yet, bummer.

It looks exactly like this model, so I'm thinking it's a 500.

http://enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/electra.html

I got the VIN off it too.  Any way to confirm it's a 500 with that?

Thanks again.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:19:46 am
oh man  know..  it's aluminum colored...its inthe states...   99% it a 499  and not an iron head

jif1025

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:12:05 pm
It is a 500 CC- I called Ton up to verify, and they remembered the sale...  She still sounds  convinced it is a 350, though...  I am betting she is confusing approx weight with engine size : )
2007 RE Bullet Electra X

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:06 pm
Just saw it again, but hadn't read the engine number post yet, bummer.

It looks exactly like this model, so I'm thinking it's a 500.

http://enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/electra.html

I got the VIN off it too.  Any way to confirm it's a 500 with that?

Thanks again.

see:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,133.0.html

You should be able to discern the two by the horsepower section in the S/N.

The 350s are around 18 HP while the 500s are around 23 HP.

Note that RE India is referencing power output in KWs for some models ( e.g., http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/Products/Machismo500/Techspec_Machismo500.asp ). This will make things confusing if they use KW in the S/N. For example: for a 500, you'd normally see 23 embedded as the 7th and 8th characters. For a 350 you'd see 18 embedded.

However, if they reference KW instead of HP (as they do in the link I provided above), then a 500, which has 17.64KW, will probably be embedded as '18' in the 7th and 8th character positions - which is the same as a 350 denoted in HP! Confused? Good, then I have been successful.

Bottom line: If the 7th and 8th characters in the S/N are 23 then its a 500.

Matt