Author Topic: Even Canada is laughing at us ....  (Read 6972 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
on: September 30, 2014, 01:46:06 am

Subject: Even Canada is laughing at us ....

Canadian's Version of “David Letterman’s Top 10”…
        Just makes you want to shake your head in disbelief.
        This is Canada 's “Top Ten List of America 's Stupidity”.
        Of course we look like idiots... because we are.

Number 10) 
        Only in America ... could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 per plate campaign fund-raising event.

Number 9) 
        Only in America ... could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General and roughly 20% of the federal workforce is black while only 14% of the population is black. 40+% of all federal entitlements goes to black Americans - 3X the rate that go to whites, 5X the rate that go to Hispanics!

Number 8
        Only in America ... could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

Number 7)
        Only in America ... can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be
        harmed by the backlash.

Number 6) 
        Only in America ... would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of
        thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American      citizens (probably should be number one).

Number 5) 
        Only in America ... could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

Number 4) 
        Only in America ... could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

Number 3) 
        Only in America ... could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. Oil Company ( Marathon    Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

Number 2) 
        Only in America ... could the government collect more tax dollars from the  people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7 Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

And Number 1)
        Only in America ... could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

Makes ya Damn Proud, don't it??
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:48 am
...and, sadly, anyone who points these things out gets called a racist
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:12:40 pm
You don't have to have spidey-sense to know this list doesn't come from Canada.  I do not believe for a second those are Canada's biggest criticisms of the US. 

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:47:23 pm
Correct Boggy.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:43:14 am
I was thinking the same thing.  Sounds like something some crooked politician came up with.  I have a hard time believing that the 1 or 2% of the wealthy pay for 86% of total taxes paid in this country.  Where the hell did that figure even come from?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:45:47 am
Take a look.
http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/top10-percent-income-earners

Now, this just shows the Federal taxes and the numbers reflect the 2011 taxes paid.  Taxes for the wealthy haven't gone down in the years between 2011 and 2013.  In fact, they've gone up a bit.
Most States also base their taxation on the  amount the person earns during the year and the top wage earners pay the top percentage.

Then, add to this the fact that wealthy people buy more expensive things and with these taxed (usually) at a fixed "sales tax" rate they pay a higher amount of tax in this area.

Usually, their homes are very expensive so their property taxes are also greater.

I'm not anywhere close to the big money makers in my income so I don't have a dog in this fight but I wouldn't object to bringing in a half million bucks/year even though the taxes would be high. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:15 am
Ah, yes, the Heritage Foundation...  ::)

I'm not anywhere close to the big money makers in my income so I don't have a dog in this fight but I wouldn't object to bringing in a half million bucks/year even though the taxes would be high. :)

Arizoni, I'm always amazed at the number of guys I work with who refuse to work overtime because they're convinced that they're "only working for Uncle Sam".  Even if they enter a higher tax bracket because of the extra earnings, they are still bringing home more money.  Anything to avoid paying taxes...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:25:47 pm
That statement is still flawed, but frankly I don't give a crap either.  The fact is until our government is run by honest people and NOT crooked money hungry blatant lying asshole politicians, the general public will only see the world thru blinders and the "truth" will be told to you by news agencies who are in cahoots and paid off by the very same crooked politicians.  I can't wait for my kids to grow up so I moved the hell out of this country.  America is a joke and the whole world is laughing at us.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:38 pm
I know lots of Canadians.  They are laughing at us, but it's nothing to do with the above list...

Scotty - in all seriousness: where would you go?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:42:27 pm
You know, I haven't really decided.  But I fancy the idea of just getting the hell out of here and start traveling the world on a Ural hack.  Like just pack a bunch of clothes, tools and camping gear and leave.  Maybe even keep a journal about what each country I am visiting thinks of the USA, interview different locals on their views, partake and share in the experiences of their own cultures, come back to the US 10-20 years later and write a book called "America: The World Is Laughing At Us".

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 04:24:15 pm

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 04:53:35 pm
Don't know if Canada is laughing or not but I know how to wipe those smiles  off those young  faces... :(  GM

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Oh Magoo you done it again

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:08 pm
Those figures on the taxes can also be verified by various government agencies....
I dont understand why its "greedy" for people who want to keep what they earn, but its perfectly ok for someone who lives off taxpayer programs to want to take more of the rich's money.
                    '12 C5 military -sold

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:31:31 pm
If you worked hard and earned your money, cool.  I was referring to the politicians that get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to lie to people of this country.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 05:39:50 am
If you worked hard and earned your money, cool.  I was referring to the politicians that get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to lie to people of this country.
Yeah, screw them.  I'm all for term limits and NO pensions for politicians. 
                    '12 C5 military -sold