Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247714 times)

Otto_Ing

Reply #195 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:15 pm
Tom have you looked into investment casting for the heads ?

If you 3D print the positives in casting wax you would completely eliminate the necessity of a master mold and its expense.

hmmm, might be expensive...

http://www.wisconsinprecision.com/rapid-prototypes.php
http://www.investcastinc.com/prototype-casting-process/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:27:00 pm by Otto_Ing »

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #196 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:32 pm
I am working on it!...I could have put more units in the first run, if I had the orders....It's not like we are Lockheed-Martin over here, or anything like that. It is just me and Chumma, running things out of our very flat wallets, trying to produce the most advanced products ever made for RE engines, on our own.

I want to do business with you for the same reason I bought from the dealer I bought from. I just want see success with such a unique product (which it is in our age).

I have 2 options for upgrading. 1 is a higher compression piston, which is just that. Bumps it to 9.5:1. 2 is your head. And I like the idea of increased performance through efficiency.

It's just a matter of money...I'm saving...secretly (wedding is sort of going to get in the way).
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #197 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:40 pm
once we have some data available it might be worth to give a try one of those crowdfunding scheems for the required tooling to bring the cost down.
...i too want to see success.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?term=motorcycle&category_id=0&woe_id=0&sort=magic
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:50:10 pm by Otto_Ing »

Otto_Ing

Reply #198 on: August 02, 2015, 09:43:08 pm
I want to do business with you for the same reason I bought from the dealer I bought from. I just want see success with such a unique product (which it is in our age).

I have 2 options for upgrading. 1 is a higher compression piston, which is just that. Bumps it to 9.5:1. 2 is your head. And I like the idea of increased performance through efficiency.

It's just a matter of money...I'm saving...secretly (wedding is sort of going to get in the way).

Increased compression allone won't bring you very far. With this head you have:
- Increased Compression
- Increased Valve Lift
- Bigger Size Valves
- Better Valve arrangement
- Better combustion chamber
- Ideal Porting for a good flow
- Better Lubrication and Cooling of the Head
- Material is better
- Something i forgot?

This would be never achievable with the classic tuning aproach of improving the stock components piece by piece.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #199 on: August 02, 2015, 10:12:20 pm
All those things I realize, I just condensed it down to increased efficiency.

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #200 on: August 03, 2015, 12:46:03 pm
Thanks guys! I do appreciate your interest and support.
I am doing as much as I can to move forward with the project at present.

I will keep people apprised as progress occurs.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #201 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:55 pm
Will it be required/recommended to match port the intake manifold? 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #202 on: August 27, 2015, 10:03:50 pm
Will it be required/recommended to match port the intake manifold?
No, it should be a very close match as machined. But if you want to match it perfectly by hand with a die grinder or file, it should not need much work.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #203 on: August 27, 2015, 11:01:32 pm
Any updates on production?

Just curious.

How much difference would there be to have the stock head modded?  I know the valve angles help get more in and out of the engine and that the higher ratio rockers are based on the valve angles and work together.

But in street terms, how much would I be leaving on the table?  How much of what you've designed into this head could possibly transfer over?

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #204 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:19 pm
Any updates on production?

Just curious.

How much difference would there be to have the stock head modded?  I know the valve angles help get more in and out of the engine and that the higher ratio rockers are based on the valve angles and work together.

But in street terms, how much would I be leaving on the table?  How much of what you've designed into this head could possibly transfer over?
We have done a few jobs on the stock head.  They come out pretty well, given the limitations. We can do just a little, or a lot, on a custom basis.

The way it works out is that the closer it gets to the features of the billet heads, the closer it gets to the cost. In the end, it  can't get all the way there, but it still costs a lot for a high end job. There is a lot of welding and hand work that adds up.

When the mods started costing over half of what the billet heads would cost, and still lacked lift, needing cams or custom rockers,  it really started making sense to make the whole new head and all the design improvements.

But,  we can still do the stock head work at a variety of lower price points,  depending on desire and budget.  Starting at a pretty low cost for a basic performance port and valve job.

The thing is, that these heads need lift. That is expensive to do whether you buy cams or custom rockers. But,  ya  gotta have it, or the flow just isn't there.

We can port it with the stock  valves still in it, and get about 190 cfm intake flow, which is pretty good, especially for the money.  But it needs over .400 " lift to do that, and needs cams that will  lift that much or more. With stock cams and rockers it only flows a few percent more than stock. So you would absolutely have to buy cams to get anything worthwhile from it. With the billet head, you don't need to buy cams, so that offsets around $300 of the cost right there.

So, for people on a budget, we can do a lot for a little  money. But if you  really want a better chamber and the best ports and the max lift at the valves, it makes sense to go all the way to the billet. It goes beyond what can be done with the stock head in a lot of ways. I realize that it is a lot of money,  but it is a whole new head, and not a  modded stock head.

We are working with the new shop, and are hoping for production to begin sometime  in September.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:10:25 am by ace.cafe »

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #205 on: August 28, 2015, 12:31:40 am
It all makes sense and I'm not really looking to cheap
Out if (more like when...I've never had a bike that has grabbed my Moto soul like this bike has.  Hell, I'm about to have one off [$$$$$$] carbon bits made that'll really do nothing other than give me a look NO ONE else has...) I do the mods.

I'm just going to the "what if" process of what to do should you not go to production (which it sounds as if it will).

The price doesn't even scare me, but if it comes in for the same or less with production and you're still making money, then we both profit.

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #206 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:27 pm
When I say "production ", I mean that I will be making them to order. I do not have the means, nor the demand,  to produce quantities of scale for shelf inventory.  Unless things radically change in the Enfield market,  this stuff will always be made a few at a time,  or one at a time.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #207 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:06 pm
"hoping for production to begin sometime  in September."
  My recovery for riding again is around the middle of October. September shouldn't be a slow down for me anyway. Looking ahead here!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #208 on: September 22, 2015, 04:46:15 pm
Any news?

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #209 on: September 22, 2015, 05:25:49 pm
Any news?
Yes,  I reported on the Ace forum that fixtures for holding the heads on the CNC machine are being made, and should be arriving this week.  The program has been converted to the latest version,  and tooling is ordered.
When all this is at the shop, which should be probably by next week,  we will be ready to start making heads. We will be ready to accept orders. Since some parts(valves, rockers, guides, seats, head gasket, studs) are special order,  they may take a few weeks to arrive. We can then assemble the parts into the heads and do set-ups when they arrive. Delivery will be ASAP after all the parts are there.

This is all based on what we expect right now. Hopefully,  there won't be any further delays.