Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247245 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: September 29, 2014, 07:01:16 pm
I will be meeting with Mondello's at the end of the week to discuss a new project that is aimed at the Continental GT 535 cylinder head.

The details will be decided at the meeting, so I cannot provide them right now. However, this will be a pretty ambitious project that will break some new ground for this platform, and I have some really exciting design ideas which I plan to implement into this GT project. this is definitely not going to be a "me too" project in any sense. As we usually do, Ace will be providing something that sets us apart from the crowd.

Of course, since the GT is a UCE platform variant, what we develop for the GT will also be able to work on the other UCE models, but we will be making sure that it has the capacity to work with the larger GT throttle body and the larger displacement of the GT, to take full advantage of these additional features that the factory provided in this new sports model. For use on other UCE engines, we would recommend that the 535 displacement and GT throttle body be installed for best results from this GT head project, if possible, but it would still work with normal UCE stuff too.

I will be happy to answer questions, but I may have to be vague about some things. I will be able to give more accurate answers after I get back from the meeting, and the specs are firmed up.
If anyone has suggestions about what they might like to see included, I'd be happy to hear them too. Now would be a good time to voice them.

There's going to be a little more to this than some of you might suspect. 8)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:01:55 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:23 pm
 :-X

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:06 am
You have our attention. ...
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:02:13 am
You have our attention. ...
Okay.
A little more info.
It will have the same attachment points as the factory bike has at the intake and exhaust locations, for the factory inlet and exhaust systems to bolt on to it.  It will accept the factory sensors and all such other bolt on things that it needs to have. It will most likely use the factory rocker covers. General shape should be similar, and similar finning.
Everything else in between will be different. It is a complete new cylinder head.

One of the reasons for this is that we are trying to eliminate the long waiting periods for having each customer's head modified by hand. It was taking 3 months for each job, and this was something that we wanted to improve. With the new heads, it should be available at fairly short notice, depending on how much I can stock at any given time, or short production time, so little or no wait. I think that this ready availablity is something that people will appreciate.

Also, it gives us the freedom to make a new head with a completely clean sheet of paper, other than having to have the inlet and outlet connections at the factory locations. We have freedom to design new combustion chamber, new ports, new valve angles and sizes and locations, new rocker arrangements, etc.
We plan to pack this thing full of advanced features, and it will all be in the CNC program to cut it out of a big hunk of billet aluminum.

So, there we are.
Exact details will come later, but I have outlined the idea for you.

Weren't expecting that, were we!???
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:12:25 am by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:52 am
This going to be epic.     ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:42:54 am
Very Impressive, but then again, coming from Ace we should expect impressive things.  I guess modding the stock head would have been too predictable... ;D
An all new head is a huge undertaking, so I can understand that this is not a 'quick' project by any means.  I guess it would allow you full control over combustion chamber flow and pattern, as well as compression ratio? If the CR could be bumped up without having to open the motor any more than the top end, that would be an added bonus
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:07:13 am
Very Impressive, but then again, coming from Ace we should expect impressive things.  I guess modding the stock head would have been too predictable... ;D
An all new head is a huge undertaking, so I can understand that this is not a 'quick' project by any means.  I guess it would allow you full control over combustion chamber flow and pattern, as well as compression ratio? If the CR could be bumped up without having to open the motor any more than the top end, that would be an added bonus
Actually, there will be a way to externally alter working compression in a certain way, but I will think about that a little more and see what I might come up with. That's an interesting thought.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:52 am
Okay. We will keep this vague for now.
But I need to know .
Will this mod make it faster , stronger,.. better then it was before?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:26 am
But I need to know .

This will be the equivalent to bolting on a set of Dart racing heads onto a Chevy small block.  Complete custom head design.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:30 am
Maybe this question is out of place, but this topic has raised it in my mind. How much power can the bottom end handle before custom cases and/or crank is required?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:17:23 am
But I need to know .
Yes. :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:24:19 am
Maybe this question is out of place, but this topic has raised it in my mind. How much power can the bottom end handle before custom cases and/or crank is required?
The ultimate upper limits of the UCE bottom end have not been reached so far, so it is somewhat unknown at which power level or rpm level will cause some failure of the stock parts. The things which have been done so far by others, such as the recent Bonneville record run, indicate it should handle what we plan for it as a street machine.
With the stock throttle body and the available exhaust systems in place, it is unlikely that the power or rpm level will reach anything destructive to this bottom end.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:53 am
This going to be epic.     ::)

You got that right Scottie !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:56 am
Okay.
A little more info.
It will have the same attachment points as the factory bike has at the intake and exhaust locations, for the factory inlet and exhaust systems to bolt on to it.  It will accept the factory sensors and all such other bolt on things that it needs to have. It will most likely use the factory rocker covers. General shape should be similar, and similar finning.
Everything else in between will be different. It is a complete new cylinder head.

One of the reasons for this is that we are trying to eliminate the long waiting periods for having each customer's head modified by hand. It was taking 3 months for each job, and this was something that we wanted to improve. With the new heads, it should be available at fairly short notice, depending on how much I can stock at any given time, or short production time, so little or no wait. I think that this ready availablity is something that people will appreciate.

Also, it gives us the freedom to make a new head with a completely clean sheet of paper, other than having to have the inlet and outlet connections at the factory locations. We have freedom to design new combustion chamber, new ports, new valve angles and sizes and locations, new rocker arrangements, etc.
We plan to pack this thing full of advanced features, and it will all be in the CNC program to cut it out of a big hunk of billet aluminum.

So, there we are.
Exact details will come later, but I have outlined the idea for you.

Weren't expecting that, were we!???
 ;D

Now that the cat is out of the bag....Can the B5 throttle body be bored out to match the GT throttle body?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 05:06:46 am
Now that the cat is out of the bag....Can the B5 throttle body be bored out to match the GT throttle body?
I don't know what might be involved with that. We have never tried.
Given that it is only a millimeter difference, I doubt it would be worth the trouble. It would only affect the very top rpms. It would be like the difference between a 33mm and a 34mm carb.
I'd bet it would be a lot cheaper to buy the throttle body from RE, than to pay hundreds of dollars to modify one.