Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 245261 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #615 on: January 03, 2019, 03:00:02 am
And the approximate cost will be in the region of. . . . . . . ? ? ? ?        A new 650? ? ? ?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #616 on: January 03, 2019, 08:24:50 am
And the approximate cost will be in the region of. . . . . . . ? ? ? ?        A new 650? ? ? ?
Should be about the same as before. Roughly $3k neighborhood, or maybe a bit less.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #617 on: January 03, 2019, 05:08:17 pm
After we've received the order of 100 heads, the price will drop.

EDIT: Don't want to speculate how much.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:43:41 am by oTTo »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #618 on: January 03, 2019, 07:19:46 pm
After we've received the order of 100 heads, the price will sharply drop below 1k$.

The latest version, called Fireball 3, will soon be in the finishing stage. Next, comes installation. Finally, then, the X1 prototype will hit the road.
  After this process, the cost will be more clear. And, as Otto points out about manufacturing; as quantity goes up, the unit price goes down. Just like the Air Kit 3, as we find out how the Fireball 3 performs, you will know here. Of course you will get to see the photos and videos. If you don't have a decent sound system, get one ready.
  There's the fine sound of a big thumper. This will be something else.

Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #619 on: June 01, 2019, 10:30:46 pm
Here is something we have been experimenting with.
 8)

New hardened cam spindles, roller cam bearings, and hardened cam races. Now a full roller valve train from cams to valves.

It drastically reduces the hated valve train noise. Quieter than a KTM or modern Triumph now.
Also helps with the valve train strength which is very helpful with the high lift and valve spring force with our high performance head kit.

We will have some dyno data on all the developments forthcoming when we can.

Oooohhhhhh, that sounds like something  :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #620 on: June 02, 2019, 02:41:39 am
Oooohhhhhh, that sounds like something  :)
We can get you fixed up with that.
 :)

RedCGT

• Scooter
Reply #621 on: September 07, 2019, 03:03:12 pm
Any progress with the head project?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #622 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:21 pm
Any progress with the head project?
Yes, we are waiting for valves to arrive. Then it goes on Guaire's GT.

At that point, we will have our costs on this new version, and can take orders. I am pretty sure that it will be special order only.

On another front, it looks like we will have some intetesting bolt on vibration control devices for the GT and UCE. Maybe in a month.

RedCGT

• Scooter
Reply #623 on: September 08, 2019, 03:04:07 pm
Yes, we are waiting for valves to arrive. Then it goes on Guaire's GT.

At that point, we will have our costs on this new version, and can take orders. I am pretty sure that it will be special order only.

On another front, it looks like we will have some intetesting bolt on vibration control devices for the GT and UCE. Maybe in a month.

That's good news.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #624 on: October 27, 2019, 01:45:27 am
Latest pics of Gen 3 billet head.
Finishing up now, and will be road tested on Guaire's 535 GT.

We also have a new cam grind coming out soon.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #625 on: October 27, 2019, 11:46:01 am
I still wonder if Hitchcocks' are barking up the wrong tree with their 4 valve head. The probability of seeing bikes with both types of head going er... head to head on the same dyno must be on the very far side of remote, but I suspect at lot of us would want to see THAT video.

Bonneville salt flats next?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #626 on: October 27, 2019, 12:13:56 pm

That's nice :P

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #627 on: October 27, 2019, 02:06:37 pm
I still wonder if Hitchcocks' are barking up the wrong tree with their 4 valve head. The probability of seeing bikes with both types of head going er... head to head on the same dyno must be on the very far side of remote, but I suspect at lot of us would want to see THAT video.

Bonneville salt flats next?

A.
Are Hitchcocks still continuing with the 4-valve head? I hadn't heard anything about it for a long time.

Anyway, as I have said before on this topic, there are some very good reasons for 4-valve design, but I don't really think that a street Bullet falls into the best application category for it.
The strongest argument for a 4-valve Bullet is the larger valve curtain area at lower lifts giving very good low lift flow. Also, there is the benefit of reaching 25% of valve lift/diameter ratio earlier with the smaller valves in the 4-valve layout. Other typically hyped benefits of lighter valves and overall flow increase from greater valve curtain area are much less critical on a low revving long stroke Bullet.

Not that I am against any of that, but it needs to be argued versus the increased cost of double the valve train parts and more porting labor, which is substantial.

In my production situation, which is basically one or two at a time, I cannot benefit from any mass production economies of scale. Our billet head is expensive to produce, but if Hitchcocks could use higher volume casting methods, then they could probably save enough on the castings to cover the added valve train parts. They seem to have enough cash to do production runs of 100 cast heads, but unfortunately I do not.

From my experience with street and racing Bullets, including BW's 500 racer, the engine can only utilize a certain amount of air flow, and providing more flow capacity just reduces midrange torque unnecessarily.  Our billet head with a 2-valve layout and 34mm inlet port can flow as much as this engine can use up to the 6500rpm maximum rev limit of the Power Commander equipped GT535. You can see on Otto's latest dyno chart that horsepower was increasing all the way to the 6500rpm rev limiter. I see no crying need for more flow. Our design criteria includes attaching to the factory ancillaries such as throttle body and exhaust, etc, for installation without a massive amount of changes to the bike. If somebody wants to race, then we can make adjustments on a custom basis.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:23:50 pm by ace.cafe »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #628 on: October 27, 2019, 03:09:00 pm

Wow! Is that gorgeous or what? 8) :) :) You are indeed a credit to your art. And yes it is part art along with experience, machining, math and excellent after-market vendors.

We Royal Enfield loonies are indeed lucky to have your and the late Joe Mondello's expertise around at the right time. I'll always feel just a little guilty that I got such a deal on my '08 AVL head in 2014.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #629 on: October 27, 2019, 09:36:35 pm
Our billet head with a 2-valve layout and 34mm inlet port can flow as much as this engine can use up to the 6500rpm maximum rev limit of the Power Commander equipped GT535

I should mention at this point that I do happen to have an un-used (think it might be new) Dell'Orto PHF34 pumper CARBURETOR and suitable 60mm stud-center alloy flange which don't seem to have a home on any of the current projects.  ??? ??? ??? The flange is for a smaller bore PHF32, but there's plenty of metal on there for boring out to 34mm.

If you or Otto think this could be a fun diversion for the project let me know.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...