Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247650 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 09:43:56 pm
Update!

The programming phase for the Ace GT Billet Head has begun!
I will bring more updates as it progresses. I will be going over there again on Friday.
I expect that I will be able to show some screen shots of the CAD rendering by then, or maybe even before.

Start saving your pennies. Once the CAD is done, we are ordering the billets and the special tooling, and making heads! Won't be long now.
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:50 pm
Hello again
Several years ago now on the UCE thread I posted a tongue in cheek message about "Announcing 40 hp UCE"  .  Basically at that time I wanted to explore ACE's thoughts about the potential for doing to the UCE what he has done with the iron barrel Fireball.  And, in my recollection , he was not initially overly enthused but waxed to the idea as the responses came in .   
Looks like that day is here (well, almost)   .......and, if I understand from the tid bits in this thread , even more than  I had dreamed of .
A couple of questions:
1) It may be already discussed in the thread or elsewhere, but if so I didn't see it:  Will the new 535 head work with the exisition OEM EFI , or does it need a replacement or add on like Power Commander ?
2) Can the new 535 head be bolted onto a 500 UCE?  Or is it diplacement specific :  If so, can an aftermarket 535 be applied to 500 UCEs to take advantage of this?
3) I am guessing the vibrations will be the same as the 535 (since the big  reciprocating mass elements won't really change) , though riding it may be different as it may prefer to "live" in a different rev range in daily use becuase of enhanced torque  ......Would that be approximately correct?
4) Can you tip your hand on a power estimate for this new 535 format ?
5) "Tractable , roadworthy , useable power band " if I recall were some initial objectives for the project:  How do you think this would translate to real world riding?  Easier upgrades?  Better passing power?   More comfortable highway cruising speed with a little left? 

All very exciting.   Thank you , Nigel Ogston

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 12:59:55 pm
Since the RE line seems to have been aimed at the market in India where mileage is paramount, but recent developments have broadened their niche to world-wide dimensions where higher performance is sought, I wonder if RE would have any interest in producing your head design (with royalties, of course) as the standard head on production GTs, and/or as a factory-approved modification for existing bikes.  What might the effect on emissions be with it? 
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 02:04:48 pm
Hello again
Several years ago now on the UCE thread I posted a tongue in cheek message about "Announcing 40 hp UCE"  .  Basically at that time I wanted to explore ACE's thoughts about the potential for doing to the UCE what he has done with the iron barrel Fireball.  And, in my recollection , he was not initially overly enthused but waxed to the idea as the responses came in .   
Looks like that day is here (well, almost)   .......and, if I understand from the tid bits in this thread , even more than  I had dreamed of .
A couple of questions:
1) It may be already discussed in the thread or elsewhere, but if so I didn't see it:  Will the new 535 head work with the exisition OEM EFI , or does it need a replacement or add on like Power Commander ?
2) Can the new 535 head be bolted onto a 500 UCE?  Or is it diplacement specific :  If so, can an aftermarket 535 be applied to 500 UCEs to take advantage of this?
3) I am guessing the vibrations will be the same as the 535 (since the big  reciprocating mass elements won't really change) , though riding it may be different as it may prefer to "live" in a different rev range in daily use becuase of enhanced torque  ......Would that be approximately correct?
4) Can you tip your hand on a power estimate for this new 535 format ?
5) "Tractable , roadworthy , useable power band " if I recall were some initial objectives for the project:  How do you think this would translate to real world riding?  Easier upgrades?  Better passing power?   More comfortable highway cruising speed with a little left? 

All very exciting.   Thank you , Nigel Ogston
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for your patience!

Regarding the questions, I'll try to give the most accurate info that I can, with the caveat that things are not finalized yet, and I can revise my statements as the CAD becomes final.

1) The existing EFI parts will all bolt right on as they are now, but the programming will most likely need to be altered with a Power Commander or similar product. I say "most likely" because it will flow more air than a stock head, and this would likely need more fuel. However, in our previous products, we have seen that our heads require little or no more fuel than the stock versions of the carbureted models. This is because the efficiency of our heads in atomization of the fuel, and the improved combustion efficiency, was able to make use of the previously wasted fuel that the stock bike under-utilized. Whether this will still be the case with the fuel injection, must be evaluated. My gut feeling is that some changes with a Power Commander will probably be necessary. We will find out when the heads are on bikes, and see how they work.
Additionally, the stock ECU has a rev limiter which would be nice to get out of the way, so we can access the higher rpm limits that we have in mind. We expect rpm limits around 6000-6500, and that will need a Power Commander or the like.

2) The 535 GT head can physically bolt on to the 500. However, we are using all the room we have for the bigger valve sizes that are permitted by the larger bore. This means that on the smaller bore, the valves will be shrouded by the closer proximity of the smaller bore, and thus will flow less air in that environment than with the larger bore. Actually, only the inlet valve will be shrouded to any significant extent. There is a "fix" for this, if a person wanted the big valves on the small bore.  The top of the cylinder barrel may be fly-cut or cut with a significant chamfer at the location where the inlet valve is closest to the cylinder liner, right at that edge of the barrel. This is sometimes called "notching" or "relieving" the barrel. We can perform that machining operation on barrels if requested. The effect of this mod provides a little extra room around that edge of the valve for flow to get out, by removing the restriction in that portion of the barrel. It will add a couple of cc's to the chamber volume, and slightly lower the compression ratio, but probably not noticeable.
The other possibility would be to use a slightly smaller set of valves in the head with the 500 bore. I have discussed this option with Mondello's, and it may be possible too.
One of the reasons for this is that the valve angle is steeper by about 8 degrees, and so the valves move more directly downward than before.

3) The vibrations will most likely remain unchanged, unless bottom end work is performed.  It is possible that the added hp will cause the bike to labor less at the higher speeds, and that might help some.  All the Fireballs do seem to be much more relaxed at speed than the standard Bullets. But if the bike currently vibrates badly at some rpm range, I would probably expect it to still do that because we are not doing anything to modify the bottom end parts that would be causing it. But, modifying the bottom end is an option for owners who wish to do so.

4)Regarding power, the available rev range will be higher, but the torque curve is going to still be real fat and wide. The power increase will be everywhere in the rpm range. You will still be able to ride at whatever rpm you want, and have more power. This will include better acceleration, passing, top speed, cruising, everything. It should be able to do everything the other Fireballs can do. The one question mark is that the stock cams are pretty short duration, and so I don't know exactly how high the rpm limit will be until we try it out. The much higher valve lift can go a long way to helping increase the rpm range, but at some point the duration will fall short. I don't know exactly what rpm that is going to occur yet, but I think it will be around that 6000-6500 rpm range we target. We'll have to see how far those stock cams can take us with our added valve lift and breathing improvements. I do have another option for custom cams that has opened up recently, which may offer more rpm range for those desiring it. I really think that for most users, the stock cams with our head will give all the power and rpms they realistically will use, unless racing.
We also can offer smaller rocker ratios as options, if other cams from other makers might be desired, but I cannot guarantee compatibility with other makers cams. I could offer opinions based on the specs of the cams that might be considered.
I think 40 hp is plausible, but that will not be the rear wheel figure. Rear wheel peak hp realistically will probably be in the 33-34 hp range, as a guesstimate. But peak hp at 6000 rpm is much less important in the real world than the power curve in the normal riding range. Peak hp is a big buzz word, and it is mostly driven by high rpms. This engine is going to be rpm limited to 6000-6500 rpm, and that is going to hold down the peak hp number. But peak hp at high rpm really isn't the story with these engines, although it gets the attention in print. The torque is going to get a huge bump from these high ratio roller rockers, larger valves, and higher compression with a fast burn squish chamber. That's where people are really going to feel it in the real world. This is what will impress with pulling up a hill, riding with a passenger on the pillion, passing cars on the highway, accelerating from any rpm, cruising at higher speeds with authority, and generally feeling very powerful. Because the power will be increased all thru the range, and not just at the top. Most people do not ride at the very peak top of the power range, unless at the track. We have learned from all our past experience with road bikes that the wide power range is what people really want.

A few tidbits of info on the current status of the CAD rendering is showing the valve angle made more vertical, changing from a measured 27.5 degrees(stock) to 20 degrees(ACE). The roller rockers will be individual shaft type, with 1.7:1 ratio, giving about .500" max lift at the valve(inlet), and about .470"(exhaust). Valve sizes at this point in time appear to be 1.8" inlet, and 1.6" exhaust. Flow is probably going to peak around 200 cfm, but that remains to be tested. All inlet and exhaust and other bolt-on things are located exactly the same place as before, so all stock equipment will go right on where they normally are now. Compression will be increased to between 9.5:1 - 10:1 with a smaller chamber that has a new efficient shape with squish and dual plug capability.

Hope that helps.
Tom
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:15:42 pm by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:11 pm
Since the RE line seems to have been aimed at the market in India where mileage is paramount, but recent developments have broadened their niche to world-wide dimensions where higher performance is sought, I wonder if RE would have any interest in producing your head design (with royalties, of course) as the standard head on production GTs, and/or as a factory-approved modification for existing bikes.  What might the effect on emissions be with it?

Hi Uncle Billy.

Well, hope springs eternal, but as of this time we have never seen any interest from RE Chennai in anything that we have ever done, or really anything that anybody else has done. The one lone thing that they used was Fritz Egli's 535cc piston and barrel, and his hi-cap oil pumps, in the limited production factory Lightning 535 in the 1990s.

To be honest, I am not even sure that RE knows that Ace exists. I have never heard anything from them.There are still a lot of RE owners out there that have never heard of Ace. I sometimes get emails from folks who just found out about us, even now.

Regarding your question about emissions, I suspect our head would pass. It will have more efficient and modern design than the OEM UCE head. All our designs have been quite "clean" for their types.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:53:52 pm by ace.cafe »

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 10:59:27 pm
ACE I frequent a lot of classic brit bike facebook pages and forums and everytime an enfield comes up theres always someone saying how slow they are and how they have no potential.  Thats where I jump in and tell them about ACE Performance group and some are even impressed. I would love if every single brit lover and RE owner knew you guys, maybe prices would drop a tad ;).

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:15 am
Replying to "ACE's  response to my post:
Thanks again , Tom , for your very thorough response.   Your posts are always very instructive and authoritative .  I have learned a lot .  From the beginning of my enquiry about this project my interest was as much as anything to stimulate conversation on the Forum and to promote the possibility of aftermarket improvements  for the UCE generation engines "done right"  (like the Fireball) , and to ask the questions I think other readers may want to know.   There are a lot of silent readers out there.    Job done.    I love that RE is making these bikes and look forward someday to bolting one of your heads on one .  (First I would still have to get one !-----soon---) but it sounds like there is a line up of customers ahead of me and that's great.   Congratulations on the imminent fruition of your work and planning, and , on behalf of everyone who loves these machines, thanks for your tireless work.   Nigel

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:14 pm
Preliminary tool path diagrams.
Obviously not complete, but represents the current stage of programming progress.

Attachments:
1) Top
2) Base
3) Fins
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:57:33 pm by ace.cafe »

Otto_Ing

Reply #68 on: March 13, 2015, 05:56:57 pm
Machined out of a solid block. Do you expect the volume to be so low that a cast is not an option? It will be looking beautiful, i am saving the pennies. Any price estimates?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: March 13, 2015, 06:29:27 pm
Notice on the view of the top, the stud holes and gasket outline implies the use of OEM rocker covers.
This is cost control, and also trying to not re-style the whole appearance of the engine. The head will look a little different than stock as it is, so we are trying to keep the styling as consistent with the OEM bike as possible.

Machined out of a solid block. Do you expect the volume to be so low that a cast is not an option? It will be looking beautiful, i am saving the pennies. Any price estimates?
At this time, billet will be the manufacturing method. It gives the most consistent performance results with no core shift or port variations.

Price will be announced on our Yahoo group forum. I try not to discuss our pricing on here, because it is not our site and we defer to politeness by not doing that.
I can say that it will be a high end item, similar to our other roller rocker heads for the other models.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:39:32 pm by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: March 13, 2015, 11:38:45 pm
A CAD basic block diagram with the locations and orientations of the parts and layout. The shapes are generic block shapes and do not indicate the actual shapes of the parts involved.

The ports are just generic representations, and are not the actual port shapes, but the locations are accurate. The combustion chamber and ports will be done by hand, and tested on the flow bench and optimized/finalized, and then those areas will be scanned and digitized and added to the final cutting program.

However, the positions and angles and orientations of these parts is accurate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:46:11 pm by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: March 16, 2015, 02:20:25 pm
3 aluminum billets have been ordered for development finalization.
Roller rockers have been ordered.
Valves and guides have been ordered.
Valve springs and hardware are our normal Ace fare, and are in stock.

Should be about a week for these items to come in. Then the preliminary metal cutting process will begin.
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:23:30 pm by ace.cafe »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: March 16, 2015, 03:34:38 pm
3 aluminum billets have been ordered for development finalization.
Roller rockers have been ordered.
Valves and guides have been ordered.
Valve springs and hardware are our normal Ace fare, and are in stock.

Should be about a week for these items to come in. Then the preliminary metal cutting process will begin.
 ;D

Exciting times ahead !

So, here are the some scenarios:

1. GT head on the GT (535 cc, 34 mm throttle body, stock dished piston)
2. GT head on the GT (535 cc, 34 mm throttle  body, flat top piston)
3. GT head on the UCE 500 ( 500 cc, 32 mm throttle body, stock dished piston)
4. GT head (smaller intake valve) on the UCE 500 [500 cc, 32 mm throttle body, flat top(AVL)/dished piston]

There are several more depending on if you can source the GT throttle body and piston.

Here is the question:

What would be the power difference (estimated percentage) between the full on (GT with flat top piston) and the UCE 500 with stock dished piston and 32 mm throttle body.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: March 16, 2015, 04:35:07 pm
I would guess about 2hp for the bigger bore, and maybe another 1hp for the higher compression, if the fuel quality will allow any higher compression. We are pushing the compression pretty much all the way to begin with, using the dished piston. It will have to be seen how much compression this thing can handle with typical US premium pump gas. I can't make a statement of certainty about that before the head is running on the engine. It has to be seen in action.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:37:59 pm by ace.cafe »

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #74 on: March 17, 2015, 07:58:43 pm
Brilliant news!

There must be a God!