Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247627 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 01:38:12 am
 Just speaking at purely hypothetical concepts, the advantage of the three valve configuration seems to me to be at the higher rev range...reducing reciprocating mass  Vs flow,shrouding,clearance  ect...but this motor is limited in that region anyhow courtesy of being a long stroke with an old style piston.
 Or am I wrong? would the three valve configuration provide a torque advantage in the lower rev range.....Is it even possible to know without modeling it and crunching the numbers -(something I am incapable of by the way)....would three valves be an aesthetic crime against the Enfield Nature....Excellent project.....Looking forward to the Eta and costing! Best Regards ,Dave
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 02:28:05 am
Just speaking at purely hypothetical concepts, the advantage of the three valve configuration seems to me to be at the higher rev range...reducing reciprocating mass  Vs flow,shrouding,clearance  ect...but this motor is limited in that region anyhow courtesy of being a long stroke with an old style piston.
 Or am I wrong? would the three valve configuration provide a torque advantage in the lower rev range.....Is it even possible to know without modeling it and crunching the numbers -(something I am incapable of by the way)....would three valves be an aesthetic crime against the Enfield Nature....Excellent project.....Looking forward to the Eta and costing! Best Regards ,Dave
Your intuitions are basically correct.
The main advantages of the 3 valve arrangement would be for higher rpm improvements. The valves are lighter, allow more flow area at all lifts, allow a centralized spark plug location, and generally offer all the improvements that the higher rpms would need.
However, all is not rosy with multi-valve. The lower rpms favor the swirl of the 2 valve configuration, compared to the "tumble" motion that comes from the multi-valves. And the 3 valves' extra flow tends to be "over-valved" for the lower rpm ranges, thus flowing slower, and reducing torque potential. So, some of the stuff that makes the 3 valve arrangement better at higher rpms, is not as good at lower rpms. Variable valve timing is what gives these multi-valve engines the "crutch" to handle the lower rpms better, while offering the inherent multi-valve advantages at higher rpms.

With the limitations of the long stroke regarding rpm range, and the goal of moderate rpm limits within the capacity of the throttle body size and exhaust system size for street riding use, it is a much closer call about what way to go.
For racing, the multi-valve would be the obvious choice, and larger throttle body and tuned exhaust, longer duration cams, and beefed-up bottom end, etc, would be the way to go, but it's expensive. And in my mind it is questionable about whether that is really what people would want out of their street bike, in most cases.

The bottom line is that this GT is not a vintage race bike, there is no racing class that it could qualify for that it could be competitive in, and so the improved street machine is the category that needs to be filled. We know that there is a somewhat price-sensitive market to some degree, and so it is important to use as much of the existing ancillary equipment as possible to reduce expenditures on those parts. And we want to make it as easy as reasonably possible to install, because not every owner is an experienced engine builder.

In our case, we reckon that 6500 rpm is a reasonable rpm limit which is even higher than our previous 6000 rpm Fireball rpm ranges. We have a 34mm throttle body, which is larger than the 32mm carb that we used on those other Fireballs, and it is suitable to reach the 6500 rpm limits we envision, and it can flow as much or more air as the other Fireballs too, so we can employ that intake system that is already there, keeping costs under control.
We know that all the other Bullet owners were very pleased with the results they got from the other Fireballs, so we know that this is a sweet spot that people can appreciate, and it does the things they want on the street.
So, it becomes a matter of recognizing that we can get where people want to go with this project, while not going overboard. Certainly, we could get into more rpms and even more hp, and more exotic packages to suit that. But there is something to be said for engineering a moderate package that is very exotic in its own right, but intended to reach the goals that people want at a more affordable price. That was something that I learned from our Fireball work over the years. It's not the technology that was most important, nor the peak hp figure, but how it performed on the road. And I believe we will be on track for that with this head that we are working on now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 04:44:49 pm

The bottom line is that this GT is not a vintage race bike, there is no racing class that it could qualify for that it could be competitive in, and so the improved street machine is the category that needs to be filled.
What about the "Sound Of Singles" class in AHRMA? Their handbook states:
10.13 SOUND OF SINGLES®
10.13.1 Machine eligibility: All competition classes are intended for single-cylinder motorcycles only. All classes may be run together and scored separately as determined by the number of entries and track conditions. Classes include (section 9.8 for additional mechanical requirements):
a) Sound of Singles 1 (SOS1): Unlimited displacement single cylinder four-strokes.
b) Sound of Singles 2 (SOS2): Water-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke machines to 450cc and air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke machines to 610cc. MZ Skorpions are permitted in Supersport spec (see rule 9.8.1); otherwise, see SOS 1.
c) Sound of Singles 3: (SOS3)Two-strokes single cylinder machines up to 550cc and four-strokes single cylinder machines up to 250cc.

As you know from my emails to you, I am toying with the idea of running my GT on track. Could it be a winner? Could I be a winner is the bigger question, regardless of the machine! LOL. Looks like SOS2 might be a decent fit though. Anyone know what the competition looks like in that class?

At any rate, I'm looking for respectable power without re-engineering the entire engine. At that point, you might as well start with something else. My GT won't be a full time dedicated track bike, but I think I'd like to take it out to see what it would do. Yes, I could just do a track day somewhere, but I've always preferred real competition over just turning laps. Plus actually having raced a cafe racer adds a little validation to it, me thinks.  ;)

That being said, I am interested to see what the final price point will be on this head. If it makes me pucker too much I may just need to stick with the head work that you currently do.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 05:00:41 pm
We feel capable of reaching approximately 2hp per cubic inch in a full-out racing Bullet, and we have produced cylinder heads for the older Bullets which have that potential.
That would be about 60hp at the crank, on methanol, with 14:1 compression, and a fully strengthened bottom end capable of handling 8000 rpm at that power level.
This level of power could not be a road bike under any circumstance. Track only.

If that is enough power to be competitive in that class, then we can get into that neighborhood.
I cannot say that it will be cost effective vs buying a modern bike that may have short stroke ohc 4-valve configuration from the factory.

If you want to have a road bike that can race on the track occasionally as a fun day out, then that will be a much lower power level that can work on pump gas, and be able to idle and ride around town. We can do that too, but I wouldn't count on any race wins with it. ;)

It all depends on what you want, and what the budget is.
Nobody anymore wins races with a bike that can ride on the road, unless it's a restricted stock bike category, or something like that. It's just too different.

I suppose the competition would be things like the Yamaha SR500, and the KTM 390 water-cooled, and maybe even some old Brit singles like the Manx 500 and Matchless G50. We could do well against those with a full-out Iron Barrel Big Head racer. We haven't tried doing it with a UCE engine yet. Should be able to be done, but racing like that is costly. Kevin said that the custom EFI package that they used on the Bonneville racer was $3500 by itself, just for the external induction parts and control computer.

If you are very serious about racing a Bullet, my advice would be to buy an Iron Barrel model, and have us do our Big Head roller rocker conversion package for it, and run it on methanol, just like the kit that is used by Paul Henshaw(Bullet Whisperer) in the UK. That is one of the most competitive 500cc vintage racers in the UK, and we expect that it will be the top performer in the class in this upcoming season. We are also just finishing up a similar package for Guy Brown, one of the leading vintage Bullet racers in Australia. He plans to race it this year at the Phillip Island Classic race.
This package is already developed and ready.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:35:39 pm by ace.cafe »

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 05:51:30 pm
If you want to have a road bike that can race on the track occasionally as a fun day out, then that will be a much lower power level that can work on pump gas, and be able to idle and ride around town. We can do that too, but I wouldn't count on any race wins with it. ;)
I think this is what I'm after. I don't have illusions of being a front runner, but would like to have decent power and mix it up with somebody. As long as I'm not just turning laps a half lap behind everyone else, I'll be fine. Otherwise, I can just do a track day, which I'm not absolutely opposed to, but prefer actual race weekends. There's just a difference between the two...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:02 pm
 ;D Where and when do I send the down payment ?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: October 15, 2014, 10:41:33 pm
;D Where and when do I send the down payment ?
Please contact me by email about those particulars.
Thanks!
 ;D

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 11:51:24 pm
Done !  :D

Ace: Will the exhaust port match the stock exhaust pipe or will I need to get the wider bore pipe from DnD/Hitchcocks?

For any of those who are sitting on the fence on this one I can speak from personal experience (I have the fireball #9) the Ace stuff just works. Its carefully thought out and planned and Ace and Chumma provide unparalleled technical support. With the riding season closing for most of us in the North its a good time to begin planning mods....although this one is going to be plug and play.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 07:47:50 am
Done !  :D

Ace: Will the exhaust port match the stock exhaust pipe or will I need to get the wider bore pipe from DnD/Hitchcocks?

For any of those who are sitting on the fence on this one I can speak from personal experience (I have the fireball #9) the Ace stuff just works. Its carefully thought out and planned and Ace and Chumma provide unparalleled technical support. With the riding season closing for most of us in the North its a good time to begin planning mods....although this one is going to be plug and play.
We plan to be compatible with the standard exhaust header. But other pipes should also work with it. Hitchcock's pipe has an internal reducer which would match it with the port.

dunamis11

• Neophyte
Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 10:58:27 pm
Hello sir,  I have a gt and I am looking to get it to do the ton.  I would like to be one of the first on your list when the package is ready...I have the header and pipe, power commander, and air cleaner, but really feel the need for the fireball 535 head you are developing for the gt.  The research and info shared on this site show that you are the guy to go to for upgrades...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 11:29:42 pm
Hello sir,  I have a gt and I am looking to get it to do the ton.  I would like to be one of the first on your list when the package is ready...I have the header and pipe, power commander, and air cleaner, but really feel the need for the fireball 535 head you are developing for the gt.  The research and info shared on this site show that you are the guy to go to for upgrades...

Hello, and thank you for your interest!
I will be posting updates as the project gets further along, and we would be happy to correspond with you about any questions you may have.

Thanks!
Tom

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:52 pm
Been doing some work at the drawing board and calculator recently, and thought I'd give some insight into what I'm thinking here.

One of the big reasons for defining the displacment to the 535cc with the 87mm bore is because it permits larger valve size. I touched on this subject earlier in this thread, but I have a little time now, so I can go into the concept a little further.

Basically, when designing an engine, the first thing decided is the displacement, along with what bore and stroke it will have. That's the start. The stroke defines how high the thing can rev, by the piston speeds associated with that stroke length. The bore defines the outer limits for valve sizes, and how much flow you can get in/out the engine for making power.

So, there's a progression of sizes dictated by these things.
The displacement and stroke together define the bore size.
The bore size dictates maximum valve size. In a typical closed combustion chamber, with the term "closed" meaning that the chamber area is smaller than the overall bore area, and there is some squish area associated with it, there are some limits to available valve size. Typically, the intake valve size will be limited to about 53% of the bore diameter, or else the edges of the chamber are likely to impede the flow around certain parts of the valve, called "shrouding". This is counterproductive because even though the valve is bigger and should produce more flow area, some of that flow area gets shrouded by the combustion chamber walls or bore walls, and so not all of the flow area can be fully used. So, you could probably get as much flow from a smaller valve that is less shrouded, and more optimally flowing around all the entire valve. This is key, because an oversize valve requires an oversize throat and oversize port, and if it doesn't flow to its optimal extent, then the response of the flow is sluggish, and robs throttle response and can also reduce low rpm torque.
Next, the valve size dictates the throat diameter of the port right behind the valve.
And that throat diameter dictates some critical dimensions in the port runner, and also may influence the size of the throttle body or carb.

So, we can see now that right from the "get go", we will be able to set our entire inlet pathway to flow more, and flow better, if we use the  biggest bore size that we can fit in the engine. This is critical, because we do need to get a certain amount of flow to produce certain torque/hp amounts, and also rpm speeds.

And, as we stand the valves up more vertically for improved combustion chamber shape, we get less room for valve size because the angle is coming down closer to the actual bore diameter, and doesn't have as much angle upward toward the center which can provide more room for valve size. This is kind of a "compromise" situatiion where we want to get enough valve for flow, but still get the chamber efficiency where we would like it.

I have done some basic drawings and figures, and it looks like we could get a 1.8" inlet valve into this chamber with an 11 degree valve stem angle from vertical. It so happens that a 1.8" valve is 53% of the 87mm bore of the 535. And we might get a 1.45" exhaust valve in there too, but we might need to use a slightly wider angle on the exhaust valve, like 13 degrees or so. Or if we can get enough exhaust flow from a smaller valve, then we might not need to widen the angle there because a smaller valve might fit. This is still up in the air about which final valve sizes and angles we'll finally settle upon, but I am doing some preliminary drawing and calculating what will fit.

Since we have a set limit with the 34mm throttle body and injector housing on the GT, I am trying to get the rest of the design to work maximally with that size. The idea being to get as much as we can get out of the existing parts that people already have on the bike, to make the package more affordable, because they won't have to go out and buy a whole new bigger throttle body and injection system. And for regular UCE owners, they can get the GT piston and throttle body and injector housing as reasonably priced bolt-on parts from RE, if they want to maximize the rpm.

Now, for the exhaust valve, we typically will see closed chambers with exhaust valve diameter about 40% of bore diameter. That's a 1.37" exhaust valve, or basically 1-3/8". This is a bit smaller than the stock exhaust valve, and it requires a very good design to make the most out of that, but it should do really well for exhaust extraction and low rpm torque production. I am going to discuss this deeply with Mondello's to see how small we can make this exhaust valve without restricting the top end hp. I think that this valve will end up being between 1.375" and 1.45".  I am leaning toward 1.45", but we'll see if they make a convincing case to go smaller. If we can go smaller, we can enlarge the intake valve a little more and move it over toward the center to avoid shrouding, or we can use a more vertical valve angle, or maybe a little of both.

We are going to try to center all this around the flow capacity of a 34mm throttle body, which is around 205 cfm. We want to reach that same 205 cfm flow capacity with all  the other aspects of the inlet system, so it can make the most of what we can get in thru the stock system. For people who want to use carburetors of larger diameter, we can custom port for that alternative. The basic package is going to be designed to extract the most power possible using the stock injection parts, as a cost containment strategy.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 06:39:57 pm
Just an update for those interested.

The project schedule has slipped into February, due to Mondello's not being able to get to it this month.
They have a porting seminar to teach in the first week of Feb, so hopefully we can get started after that.

I know it's disappointing, but I have to defer to their schedule. It's just the way it is.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: January 18, 2015, 01:39:29 am
Nice!
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 01:50:04 am
Stoked to see the results, though, regardless of the wait.

I'm looking forward to making a similar mod, installing power commander, and changing exhaust...
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X