Author Topic: Any model preference or are they all fab  (Read 604 times)

Ian T

• Scooter
on: November 28, 2023, 02:44:10 pm
Hi everyone

Well took delivery of me new Classic 350 today and mighty fine it looks to.

So now I can get me one of these lovely GT’s as all my other bikes have gone so I will be a Royal Enfield household going forward.

I have been looking hard and although there appears a few for sale they do all seem in rather good nick with little mileage on them.

As I originally wanted a winter project I dismissed these and looked at getting a UCE 500 and altering it a bit and also these would be older so more tinkering over the winter for me.

But now I realise that no matter what now that I have the 350 I will have very similar bikes.

So mind made up a 535 it is and if I have to get a much better condition one that I first wanted then that’s fine.

My question is after all that rambling is are there any better years than others I note they were only  made for a few years but was just wondering if there were any in year developments or not or are they all just fab.

Cheers

Ian

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 04:34:46 pm
If you want to modify it or at least you want to have a more simple bike, avoid Euro4 models (2017+).

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:50:27 pm
If you want to modify it or at least you want to have a more simple bike, avoid Euro4 models (2017+).
Those should be relatively rare, since RE discontinued the model in India in January of 2018, and was announcing suspension of the model in Europe a few months later.
https://indianautosblog.com/royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-discontinue-p308032

Here in the USA, it is rare to see any offered for sale with model dates later than 2016.  I recall seeing these being offered for sale online as NEW, (leftover stock), as recently as early 2020, but I think the demand generated by supply chain disruption from the pandemic found homes for all of those.

If these ads are factual, it appears that a dealer in the UK has managed to hold onto some new ones, and is offering them for prices well over what they went for back when they were top of RE's line: 
https://www.theparking-motorcycle.com/used-motorcycles/royal-enfield-continental-gt-535.html

Ian T

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 08:24:43 pm
Cheers that’s very helpful and interesting to know.
Yes I want simple and have no intention of modifying except for a lighter silencer as I believe the original is exceptionally heavy.
Unless of course I learn differently on here.

Cheers

Ian

Ian T

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 08:28:45 pm

If these ads are factual, it appears that a dealer in the UK has managed to hold onto some new ones, and is offering them for prices well over what they went for back when they were top of RE's line: 
https://www.theparking-motorcycle.com/used-motorcycles/royal-enfield-continental-gt-535.html
Thanks for the info. Alas those ads are all scams some plum keeps littering eBay with them. If you look it’s the same bike just different sellers.
This used to happen on the Moto Guzzi site when I had one. Such a shame as there is over 60 listed right now so makes it annoying to wade through them.

Anyhow thanks for the tip.
Cheers

Ian

Ian T

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 12:12:39 pm
Exciting

Going to look at a 2016 this evening.

Getting closer

Cheers

Ian

Tyler Griffin

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 05:27:53 pm
The Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 was produced from 2013 to 2018 without significant changes in design or major improvements year over year. Each year generally maintained the same features and performance, making them all generally good options. Therefore, there aren't specific "better" years for the Continental GT 535; they're generally consistent in quality throughout their production span.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 05:58:12 pm
There are big differences between Euro 3 (2013-2016) and Euro 4 (2017-2018) models  ;)

Not the same ECU and ECU connector, ODB connector, cabling, intake air temp sensor, air pump on the head in the exhaust port, ABS...

Versions may vary if in India, Europe or USA.

In the UK or mainland Europe we have Euro 3 and Euro 4 versions (I have one. MY 2017 and highly modified).