Author Topic: Done With Group Rides  (Read 2025 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 29, 2014, 03:03:44 pm
I think after yesterdays events, I am done with large group rides.  There were about 200 bikes in in the Denver DGR ride yesterday, and not ONE single person offered to help me.  We left our meet up place, Crema Coffeehouse, at about 10 am.  While on the way to Red Rocks Amphitheater for the first stop, I started to develop a bad misfire.  It seemed like the ignition was cutting on and off, as if there was bad connection somewhere.  I pulled over to diagnose the problem, but was pretty limited as to what I could do because I didn't bring any tools with as I didn't think I would need them.  At least a dozen or more different people had stopped where I was to use the porta potties there.  I had informed all of them that I was having trouble, had no tools and had no phone reception.  NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON offered to lend tools, offer to notify the group leaders that I was stranded, or even offer me a pillion ride back into town so I could call a tow truck.  At least 30 or 40 more people just rode right past me.  After about 15 minutes after seeing the last rider pass by as I'm sitting there by myself on the side of the road with an undiagnosed misfire, I decided to try and limp back towards the highway in hopes of getting some phone reception to call for help.  As I pull out of the parking lot my clutch cable snaps and now I'm completely screwed.

Totally bummed and freaking out on what the hell I was going to do, I pull out my pipe to smoke a bowl to try and gather my thoughts.  All of a sudden, I see my friend Fran coming around the bend 20 or 30 minutes behind everyone else.  Turns out he had left his ignition on and killed his battery at Crema, 2 blocks after he got it started his master link fell off of the chain, replaced it, 2 blocks after that he ran out of gas.  If it wasn't for Fran having the trouble he did at the beginning of the ride, I would have ended having to walk about 3-5 miles just to get phone reception to call for a tow truck.  Not to mention I have never been on ANY of the roads before that we took to get there.  I was completely clueless as to where I was.  But being the great friend that Fran is, he helped me limp the bike a few miles away to a gas station that I didn't even know existed.  He then rode his bike about 60 miles back home to Castle Rock, which isn't even in the Denver Metro, jumped in his truck and drove ALL THE WAY BACK to get me and the bike and got us home on the complete opposite side of the Denver Metro.  This was his offering and suggestion to do this, I had told him if I could get the bike somewhere where the tow truck could find me that would be good enough.  But he tells me "No bro.  I'm not going to just leave you here.  Besides I already have the ramps and straps loaded in the truck, I just need to swap vehicles."  Thank God there are still a few good people left in this world.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I will be participating in the DGR ride anymore, or any other large group rides for that matter.  In fact, I don't think I will ever ride with any people I don't actually know, again.  Even as reckless teenagers, we NEVER left ANYONE on the trail.  EVER.  The simple fact that so many people rode right past me with no concern for my well being and safety really pisses me off.  But on the other hand, I am extremely thankful that Fran came rolling down the road when he did.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:38:50 pm
Oh brother, u got to be kidding me..I bet that was a empty feeling seeing people ride by and not want to get involved or ruin their day helping you .....Looks like you have a good mate in Fran who didn't didn't blink a eye to help his brother in need....Glad u made it back safe and u might want to take Fran out to Dinner or something...Besides the broken cable, have u figured why you sputtered out yet? GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:54:43 pm
 :( so sad a group of distinquished gentlemen acted  so badly. Personally I always stop for any rider that looks stranded on the side of the road. A big thumbs up for your friend Fran.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:40 pm
Oh brother, u got to be kidding me..I bet that was a empty feeling seeing people ride by and not want to get involved or ruin their day helping you .....Looks like you have a good mate in Fran who didn't didn't blink a eye to help his brother in need....Glad u made it back safe and u might want to take Fran out to Dinner or something...Besides the broken cable, have u figured why you sputtered out yet? GM

I actually posted on Fran's Facebook page that I'd like to take him out for lunch sometime to show my appreciation of his help.  And yes, it was quite the empty feeling.  Especially considering that a huge majority of the people on the ride are members of the Motorcycle Kids: Denver Facebook page, of which I am an administrator for and most everyone in that group knows my bike.  And the few people that did stop for the restroom pretty much told me "Ah, that sucks" and rode away.  I will be posting on the group page today about how disappointed I am with everyone that rode right by.  I'm just trying to figure out how to be civil about it and not come off as a jackass.  I guess people just see life differently as individuals.  I for one don't even have to be riding my bike to stop and help a fellow rider.  If I see a rider broke down, ESPECIALLY if they are riding solo, I almost always stop to see if there is anything I can do to help, whether they need to use my phone or tools or need a ride back into town for parts, or even just to make sure that they have help on the way.  It's just the right, humanly, thing to do.

As far as the misfire, I'm not really sure yet, as I was so pissed when I got home yesterday I just parked the bike and started drinking beer. I suspect that the problem is a faulty fuse holder, the one that came with the E.I. is just a tube fuse holder with the little C crimps the hold the end of the fuse and then has a plastic cover that goes around the fuse and has a metal clip that holds the cover on.  I went to make an adjustment at another buddy's house that I met up with before the big meet and noticed that cover was gone.  I checked it when waiting for Fran to return and noticed that the terminals were a little loose on the fuse ends.  Being that the miss got worse as the RPMs/vibrations increased I think it is safe to say that the miss is either that bad fuse holder or the coil crapping out.  I plan on putting a blade fuse in replacement of the tubed fuse holder and will also test the resistance of the coil today.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:16 pm
It's a different world today, than when we grew up.
Glad Fran found you.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:59 pm
Man, sounds like it wasn't your day! sorry to hear about your misfortunes! At least until Fran showed up.
I have to go along with your feelings about big group rides. I went on one back in the early '80s and it just wasn't much fun. The Norton club has big turnouts for rides around here, but everyone just kinda breaks off into small groups and go at their separate time. You usually don't see that many other people until they all get back to the starting location. Everyone just rides at their groups pace, some dragging knees, some just dawdling. But they're also not on busy streets, mostly up in the twisties.
I did make it up to the meetup spot for the DMR here. There were over 300 bikes up there,and I decided early that I wasn't gong on actual ride. Then the riders meeting convinced me as they were talking about the 300 riders staying in a clump and filling Sunset Blvd with bikes clogging up the whole road. "If a lane is empty, fill it up," was the word. It was about 30 miles of city streets they wanted to clog up. I don't like those "Harley" rides. I went home. Thought about going to the Crest or something, but I wasn't really dressed for it.
Sometimes I'll stop for a guy parked on the road, but usually I'm late to meet some people, and I don't have any tools on my bike. I used to stop more often on my RE, at least it had a tool kit. If his phone won't work where he is, mine won't either. I don't have a seat to give him a ride any place, so I would be of very limited help!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:35:12 pm
Scotty,

Seems like you and Fran were both cursed yesterday.  I've been stranded before also, so I know how it feels.  Don't forget, you've got my number too.

I wouldn't make excuses for the members of the DGR ride (A few of my friends rode it yesterday also), but except for the number of folks who stopped and didn't offer to help, I think it was mostly the herd mentality of such a big ride.  All anyone thinks of is to keep up with the group.  The ride organizers should have been savvy enough to arrange for a sweep crew to follow the ride route.  That's a pretty basic component.  Not the best organization I guess.

Glad you eventually made it home.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:59 pm
Thanks Dan, I will remember that.  :)

Weird thing is that there were SUPPOSED to be sweepers, but I never saw one.  I posted something on facebook about how I was upset with the situation, and one person was like "Oh. Where were you?  I stopped for a couple of other riders and there were sweeper cars too."  I don't know.  I guess the important thing is that I did make it home safely.  But honestly, had Fran not been stranded from the get go at the meet up spot, I would've been in a much deeper pile of shit than I already was.  It could've been worse for sure, and I think someone was looking out for me yesterday.  Still gets under my skin that so many other people neglected to do anything at all.  Like I said, no one even offered to make a simple call or make an effort to send an alleged sweeper my way.  Nothing!  Just rider after rider basically telling me "sucks to be you."

Then to top it off, I dropped my cell phone in the toilet first thing this morning.  Went to 2 different Sprint stores and they wouldn't do anything to work with me to get me a new phone.  When they asked if there was anything else they could help me with, I said "Yeah.  You can tell me where the nearest Verizon store is."  She informed me there was one right across the street, so I left and went there.  Funny thing is, I ended up spending less money to get a new phone and contract than if I had payed off my bill with Sprint and bought a new phone thru them.  Well, at least now I have a new phone that will take better quality videos and pics and not crash in the middle of important phone calls.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:29:08 pm
Sorry to hear about that "mess" .
We live in a plug and play world . I bet that most of the riders were blown away by seeing your old school bike And hearing foreign terms such as " miss fire" ,  "bad points" ect.
Sounds like most of the riders were posers and wusses .
I don't like riding in large groups because novice rides can zig or zag with no warning and smash into another rider.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:21:59 am
Sorry to hear about your troubles...but glad you had someone there to help.
It sounds like those other riders were only well dressed, not 'distinguished'.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:17:14 am
Nor gentlemen  :'( .that's too bad,Scotty. It sucks being stranded like that. A few broke down on our ride, especially a Ducati 450 scrambler that needed a push start often, plenty of helpers there. We stopped and helped a young guy get his Honda cb400 cafe going again. Just a battery cable coming off. The guys on your ride would probs stop any other day but got caught up in the herd mentality on the day.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 12:19:01 pm
Sorry to hear. It must've been one of those days..

Very unlucky and surprising, considering the context of the situation. Friends like Fran need to be kept close. Don't give up on group rides though  :-\
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:17 pm
When they asked if there was anything else they could help me with, I said "Yeah.  You can tell me where the nearest Verizon store is."  She informed me there was one right across the street, so I left and went there.

HOC:  That my friend, was possibly the best decision u made that day..GM 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again