Author Topic: Difference Between AVL and UCE Engines  (Read 10526 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 05:39:26 pm
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 05:42:29 pm

Enfield deserve a great deal of credit for their continued development of the basic
design and the UCE is still recognisably an Enfield and a Bullet, in my opinion
a lot closer to the original than say the new Bonneville is to the old

Jon
How so very true!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:58 pm
meilaushi, thanks for the info. You mention that your dealer is in Hubbard, OH. That is the closest one to me and the one I was planning on using. Any more info you can give me on them? Thanks!
Yessiree... Matt Lockso, and his partner, Jerry are two really nice old-timey motorcycle guys.  Jerry is the one Matt calls his "Wrench"--and that's a good title because Jerry really knows his stuff--no wham, bam, thank-ya mam work on his part--he's very careful, knows what he's doing, and is quite thorough in the work I've seen him do on my bike.
Matt is the 'salesman' and owner of the shop, and his sales pitch is like nothing you ever ran into in the normal vehicle salesman... "I like to sell 5 or 6 bikes a year, but would rather not sell one to anybody who really doesn't want one... and Royal Enfields are not for everybody... you have to decide whether it's the type of bike you really would like to have, and if so, I'll be happy to sell you one."  I.e. ABSOLUTELY NO high pressure... i.e., pressure so low it's rained almost every time I've gone over there...
And the coffee (Luzianne!) is free... or snapple in the fridge if that's your pleasure...The day I was over to get the 500 mile service, Kathy, Matt's wife showed up around lunchtime with a box full of donuts and danishes to make sure none of us went low on sugar... or starved.
Matt and Jerry have other jobs, and the shop is open weeknights from 5-8PM, except when they're away... and occasionally on Saturdays... but then by appointment only.  In any event, it's best to call them before you go to make sure they'll be there in case there is somewhere they have to go to do a delivery or for some other reason.
If you live at a distance, as do I, Matt will arrange to do the "RE in your driveway" and deliver your bike for you.  He and Kathy brought mine over on a Sunday Morning as we'd agreed the week before when I took the payment over to him (I didn't want to ride 70 miles at the initial 30mph or less breakin speed).  He dropped the bike off and we had coffee and donuts at my place before he headed back.
A warranty thing (I had an oil seep out of the head by the valves) cost me nothing but the ride over, and, because I'd already purchased head bolts and gasket... Matt gave me $20 despite the several hours spent replacing the gasket, because, as he said, "This is under warranty, and you shouldn't have spent your money on the replacement parts."
Their shop is like the old time Bike shop... and a couple of nicer people you'd go far to try to find.  Incidentally, they also do restorations... Matt has a Squariel they've restored that's to drool over, along with other bikes like BSAs etc.
Anything Matt hasn't immediately available, he will get for you, and as far as I know the charges are always what CMW provides as list price--no jacking of prices have I ever found, and Matt's gotten several things for me--chiefest being the old style exhaust, which he and Jerry installed after having to make a part or two as things supplied by the factory didn't quite fit the way he and Jerry thought they should.  So they put together the necessary alterations and it works!  They're good, and they know what they're doing. :D

BTW, where in Ohio are you?
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.