Author Topic: Road trip essentials  (Read 2460 times)

Neeil

• Scooter
on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:52 pm
hi everyone!

My Bullet 500 and I are are making my first trip over 100 miles tomorrow, from the Jersey shore up to Worcester, Massachusetts (my grandma is turning 90 so we're having a party for her.

It's about 300 miles each way if I don't get lost or break down. If I do have any trouble along the way, what's something a new rider like myself might have forgotten to pack? I've got the tools the bike came with, a spare adjustable wrench and screwdriver, some bolts of various sizes, and plenty of dry and warm clothes. The bike is in good operating condition (or will be after I tighten up the chain before I leave!)

What am I going to get 150 miles out and then realize I forgot? I'm sure there's something you more experienced people always bring "just in case" :)
2014 Bullet 500 G5 Deluxe

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:34:24 pm
All bikes suffer from basically the same emergencies:  Flat tires; Broken cables; and things vibrating off.

I suggest you take the time to go over all the nuts and bolts on the bike before you leave to ensure everything is tight.

Are you packing spare throttle, brake, and clutch cables?  Do you know how to change them?

Have you got flat fixing tools?  Spare tube or at least good patches?

Good Luck and enjoy your ride.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:42:27 am
Probably the best thing you can take with you is a cell phone with a fully recharged battery.

Give the rear chain a shot of chain lube and remember the following thoughts.

Take your time.
 Watch out for other cars.
 Enjoy the scenery and the freedom of riding.
The trip is the goal.  Getting to the destination is the icing on the cake. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:26 am
All good advice. Just don't neglect what you need to be comfortable.

You are right on with warm clothes. Layers are best because you can adjust to meet changing weather protection needs. Don't forget some lightweight rain gear.
Some personal favorites are something to keep the neck warm, a scarf or bella clava [sp?]. Two pair of gloves. When one set gets wet, even though the rain stops, you hands will be cold in wet gloves. I wear hearing protection. The simple foam plugs work well. If your boots aren't water resistant, spray them with protectant.
And I assume you are wearing a helmet with a face shield.

relax and have a fun ride. My riding is tapering off a little from the peak years. I put about 7K on this year. About half of my peak riding year.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:26 pm
Probably the best thing you can take with you is a cell phone with a fully recharged battery.

And a AAA card.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com