Author Topic: Electronic Tachometers  (Read 30555 times)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
on: September 26, 2014, 09:14:53 am
I've seen pics posted here of add on electronic tachs. Where are you getting them?. All I can find is ones for twins & multi cyls. I saw one that was small aprox 2" someone installed in the ing switch hole in the cowl. Who makes that one? .

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:18 am
Hi Motor,

Check out his link - http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/meters.asp

they seem to have quite a few varieties of meter. I personally have not dealt with them but they seem to ship globally and maybe of help to you.

I bought off my digital meter ( a company called PhiTesla Radon) couple of year ago off ebay for USD 150 and is pretty good considering the information it put up. Attached a pic for reference (The blue display is my handiwork after I didn't seal it properly while fitting and got water inside at a pressure wash) Original comes with a white display with high contrast black characters.

It gives me :
1. Speed (miles or Kmph)
2. Rpm
3. Battery Voltage (Volts)
4. Hours/Fuel Level
5. Engine Temperature
6. Trip Meter
7. ( Odometer ) can be accessed using single function button.

Its pretty accurate and runs of a magnetic pickup of the wheel and comes with all wiring & diagram. It's the most useful speedo i invested in especially if you have done performance stuff tot he bike. All parameters can be programmed using a single key and calibrated to accuracy.

If you can get over the modern Transformers/digital calculator look   :)

Regards,
T
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:18:10 am by TejK »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:14:18 am
If you fit a Boyer, or other ignition with a "wasted spark" design, it has 2 sparks, so you can use a tach made for a twin.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:52:39 am
I have a Tiny Tach-Hour meter clone I bought for a modified mini bike, but it is for a wasted spark type ignition too like used on small engines that are crank triggered . So when I used it for a test run I had to double the reading on my breaker point bullet. They are pretty cheap, no wiring except the sensor wire you wrap around the spark plug wire. So if you have a Boyer ignition I guess you could use one of those accurately too. But not too stylish..lol :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:26:06 am
Koso sells many kinds of tachometers and multi-functional speedometers that display RPMs, temperatures, trip miles etc.

I have tachometer with engine temperature sensor mounted on the handlebar of my G5 and another Forum member GHG has multi-functional meter on his motorcycle - he removed the original OEM speedometer and fitted the new one in the nacelle in its place.

GHG describes his speedo/tach in this thread 'New Speedo Question' -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,19887.0/all.html

A short video of my tachometer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P2MvJK9Ens&index=4&list=UUOh4rORdLrrqjVZUsorI0hKA

Link to their website -

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/motorcycle_met/   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:35:05 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 04:48:10 am
Thanks Singhg5, they do have a lot of gauges including a nice small tach that will work, except it goes to 15,000 rpm. The 8000 rpm Harley tach will work too, because its adjustable -programmable . But its a big tach.  :o What I'm trying to find is one about the size of our amp meter or a lil bigger in a 0- 8000 rpm range. I know they exist because someone posted a pic of one in the ignition switch hole, on here or at Ace's site. But no info on brand or source :(.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:17:12 am
Like Ace said, my guess is you're seeing someone who has a standard 1 7/8" cheapo electronic mini tach being used with a wasted spark ignition.  I've seen them between $30-100.

https://www.denniskirk.com/1-7-8-in-electronic-mini-tachometer.p408089.prd/408088.sku?_requestid=4701663#ratings

This ad mentions a single-fire ignition adapter intended for use on a twin with such an ignition.  Not sure how that would work with a single with points or wasted spark respectively and have to head to work, so no time to try and wrap my head around it...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:56 am
A tach intended for a single fire twin will work on a wasted spark single. They both have 2 sparks per cycle. That will work with our bikes that have a Boyer electronic ignition.

Chumma has  VDO that can work with our singles with eithr the points or electronic wasted spark.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:51:48 pm
Ok... after looking around for quite a while I found the "pic" I was talking about, it was at Ace's site. Here are the pics. Upon close examination I got the mfg off the face, MMB . Its a German company. They do sell online if you can read German :o. You can click on English but only some of it is in English. They are 48mm, aprox 1 7/8", come in different colors and 0-6000 or 0-8000 rpm. 85 euros = about 107$ US + shipping. They are resettable for single cyl points or elect or multi cyls. The mounting cup for external mount or the U bracket for flush mount (like pic) is extra. They also have retro faces too. https://www.mmb-messtechnik.de/index.php/de/onlineshop/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/26
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:42:41 am by motorman2whel »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:11 pm
Full Dash Pic. I don't know where he moved his ignition switch to. ? Apparently his Bullet is sooo fast it broke the speedo needle off ! :D One thing that made this searching harder is "Tachometer" in German is "Speedometer" in English !. Drehzahlmesser is tachometer :(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:07:28 am by motorman2whel »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:47:23 am
Other 48mm Tachs available. Plus these styles are avail in other colors too. & other bezels ie chrome, black. They look very Cool  8)  ;D.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:58:43 am by motorman2whel »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:48:02 am
more retro 48mm . oops forgot pic !

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:49:43 am
Other retro 48mm. BTW the retros cost a bit more

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:12 am
What kind of bike is that tacho on? A Fast & Classy Bike ;D  this is from MMB's site.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 04:19:38 am
Let me ask the question that has been on my mind for years. Why would someone want a tach for one of these bikes? My feeling is that it is so obvious when to shift or when you are revving the engine too high that if don't hear and feel it, you might be best off with an automatic. You don't need a programmed air shifter like on the drag strip.....I am not being sarcastic nor casting any judgements, I really am curious.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:03 am
With a stock IB Bullet You don't need one. Mine is not stock anymore, but its not fully built yet either. So I have to be careful not to over stress the stock bottom end. This winter I hope to do the Ace/Carrillo rod & crank work. Then it can rev beyond 6000. Once you got to know the feel of the modified engines rpm's I guess you wouldn't need it. I'm sure some just want one because its cool looking 8). On a new Enfield you have a electronic rev limiter so why did they put a tach on the Conti GT ?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:03:46 am by motorman2whel »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:30 pm
Let me ask the question that has been on my mind for years. Why would someone want a tach for one of these bikes? My feeling is that it is so obvious when to shift or when you are revving the engine too high that if don't hear and feel it, you might be best off with an automatic. You don't need a programmed air shifter like on the drag strip.....I am not being sarcastic nor casting any judgements, I really am curious.
I have a few reasons.

New riders often do not know the "feel" and it is easy to exceed redline in the low gears. The standard speedometers are inaccurate, and cannot be relied on for knowing when to shift.

Modified bikes feel different and have different power curves, and some can exceed the safe limits of certain stock parts and assemblies. A tach can help people limit their rpms . I often prescribe certain rpm limits for different build stages, depending upon what stock parts might remain in use, if the owner is modifying a little bit at a time. And even for a fully modified engine, there are limits that might not be intuitive to the rider.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 03:48:44 pm
Asked and answered
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 10:33:58 pm
IMO, for most, it's a neat toy.  Something to make the motorcycle look more like a racy machine.

I'd venture to guess that even with a tach mounted on a RE, it is looked at fewer than one time per ride and that is most likely when the bike is first started.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:21 pm
Really, much the same could be said about all the instrumentation.

We cpould say that we don't need a speedo because we know about how fast we are going. Or we don't need a fuel gauge because we know about when we are getting low. Or we don't need hi-beam indicator or directional indicator lamps. Or whatever. None of these things are necessay. You could just blindly guess at everything.

At some point, some riders want to know these things to help them operate the bike and know some critical information.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:09 pm
Your probably right Arizoni but as Ace says it's a good accessory to have. The one on my truck I watch all the time, makes a big difference in gas mileage.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 03:14:17 pm
I have to say my tacho, is an essential tuning aide. I live on a pretty remote island, and there is no easy access to a Dyno, to do development work, (12 hour sea crossing followed by a 300 mile drive). There is a very long straight steep climb, that is about 4 miles long, I will hit this as fast as I can in 4th gear (5 speed box), and hold the throttle against the stop, I know I am making progress with the max RPM reached. My best rpm reading is a shade under 7000, when I plug the computer into the ignition to look at the data, I actually hit 6940. I don't use the speedo as it has no memory to asses the performance, and I couldn't talk about that as we have a 60 MPH limit ;-) .
 I am very close to the point where I need to move into 5th as the motor is virtually at its peak.
Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 03:37:56 pm
Kevin,
Is this with the 34mm carb?
7000 uphill is very strong!

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 03:45:32 pm
Yes 34mm, Ace Canister, no back plate on the Super Trapp, Ignition is pretty advanced, I have to switch curves once underway. I can't remember what jet I have in at the moment but is only a little off from your recommendation.
Primary 34/70
18t front

Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 04:15:43 pm
Yes 34mm, Ace Canister, no back plate on the Super Trapp, Ignition is pretty advanced, I have to switch curves once underway. I can't remember what jet I have in at the moment but is only a little off from your recommendation.
Primary 34/70
18t front

Kevin

Kevin,
I estimate that to be over 100mph in 4th gear! Uphill!
Sounds like this stuff is really working for ya! 8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:57:50 pm by ace.cafe »

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 04:22:06 pm
Just over the ton indicated, (18" wheel), and flat on the tank, and no wind or small tail wind.
Kevin

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 04:30:33 pm
Just over the ton indicated, (18" wheel), and flat on the tank, and no wind or small tail wind.
Kevin

You are officially the first Fireball owner to break the Ton in 4th gear!
Congrats!
 ;D ;D 8)

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 04:34:08 pm
Thanks Tom,
It is a bit artificial though, normally you wouldn't hold a bike in a lower gear, and keep it there for miles on end, and also very anti-social with no backplate on the exhaust.
Kevin

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 04:44:44 pm
I thought i would add, my other Bullet will hit about 85 up the same hill on a good day.
Hitchcocks long stroke crank, forged 6.5:1 piston (no spacer under barrel), Magnum cams, and a 19 tooth sprocket. 570cc
Kevin
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:47:12 pm by da punds »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 06:26:17 pm
I have to say my tacho, is an essential tuning aide. I live on a pretty remote island, and there is no easy access to a Dyno, to do development work, (12 hour sea crossing followed by a 300 mile drive). There is a very long straight steep climb, that is about 4 miles long, I will hit this as fast as I can in 4th gear (5 speed box), and hold the throttle against the stop, I know I am making progress with the max RPM reached. My best rpm reading is a shade under 7000, when I plug the computer into the ignition to look at the data, I actually hit 6940. I don't use the speedo as it has no memory to asses the performance, and I couldn't talk about that as we have a 60 MPH limit ;-) .
 I am very close to the point where I need to move into 5th as the motor is virtually at its peak.
Kevin
Just in case anyone out there is wondering, Kevin's bike is  a 535 ACE Super Fireball, with the Hi-Lift Roller Rocker Big Head, and Ace piston and cams.
This is really setting the pace for Bullet street performance builds, and Kevin was the first one to get one with the roller rocker set-up.

When you break The Ton, and you're not even in top gear yet, that's really moving along on a Bullet!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 10:42:27 pm
Wow..I can only imagine the flying by the seat of your pants flat on the tank..
kevin: Did u  modify the frame in any way and did u upgrade the suspension ? 
Oh Magoo you done it again

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 04:09:23 am
Did you do the Rollie Free riding position?  ;D . Something tells me that Bonneville wouldn't let someone do that now !. Not PC. You would be a longgggg red streak on the salt if you fell off. :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:13:01 am by motorman2whel »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 01:51:02 pm
Did you do the Rollie Free riding position?  ;D . Something tells me that Bonneville wouldn't let someone do that now !. Not PC. You would be a longgggg red streak on the salt if you fell off. :(

As far as I know they are still doing that at Bonneville, just not many people choose to do it these days.

Kevin, do you have a sound clip or video of the SuperTrapp on your Bullet?  SuperTrapps are my all time favorite exhaust!  I had one on my 650 Nighthawk that I custom tuned by using 5 diffuser plates with 2 small washers on the bolts between each plate.  Lost a little low end, but she barked like Kujo and would scream at WOT.  I've always been curious what a Bullet would sound like with one bolted on, especially a performance Bullet.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 05:41:36 pm
Oh, really?  Got a surprise for you, then, Scotty.  :D

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:10 pm
OK, I finally got one of those MMB mini tachs. Its great & very responsive it doesn't lag behind going up or down. I was going to take a pic of the back so you could see the two small dip switches that let you easily adjust it for different engines & ignitions. But I forgot :-[ . The tach is a 48mm, the ignition switch hole in the nacelle is 46mm after knocking out the pressed in chrome piece the switch is in, so it just takes a bit of grinding to fit . To my surprise the stock Ing switch fits fine without the chrome piece in the headlight nacelle off to the side, plenty of clearance between it & the headlight. So no rewiring needed. PS: I have a throttle lock cruze control, locked to a slightly higher rpm while its warming up, that's why its showing higher than a normal idle.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:58:19 pm by motorman2whel »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:32 pm
Looks very good!
I like to see a tach on the dash. I consider it to be a requirement.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:31 am
Yes, Me too. Thank You. That's why when I saw this small one....I had to have one ..lol . NField gear MAY carry these in the future as the German Co that makes them is looking for a US distributor,  I gave EFG a sales contact at MMB..... we'll see if it happens or not hopefully it will, buying from a non English website is a pain. Although once contacted by email the sales rep was great to deal with.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:23:29 am by motorman2whel »

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:54 am
Motorman, that is a good looking set-up you've got there!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 05:05:51 am
Motorman, that is a good looking set-up you've got there!
Thank You :). The biggest pain was getting a retro look speedo that worked right without buying a 400$ electronic Smiths. Went thru 2 India made speedos that would start the needle bouncing when they got hot. I ended up using a retro face from a India made speedo and installing it on the stock speedo, more pain,  I broke 2 lenses trying to get it crimped back together. But its all good now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:13:46 am by motorman2whel »

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 06:14:17 pm
Considering that the Fireball mentioned revved to 6940 RPM, I suppose the bottom end with carrillo rod and NTN bearings will hold out without any problem?

I like to rev hard too, and wonder if I can redline it in 4th gear without worrying about the bottom end. I havent dared go beyond 5300 or so in 4th. I think If I do shift late at close to 5800 RPM I'll surely break the ton.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 07:39:36 pm
Considering that the Fireball mentioned revved to 6940 RPM, I suppose the bottom end with carrillo rod and NTN bearings will hold out without any problem?

I like to rev hard too, and wonder if I can redline it in 4th gear without worrying about the bottom end. I havent dared go beyond 5300 or so in 4th. I think If I do shift late at close to 5800 RPM I'll surely break the ton.

I use an Alpha bearings crank, sold by Hitchcocks. I have used these cranks in a couple of engines now, and have never had one fail, even when totally abusing them. I am sure Ace can put your mind at rest with the Carrillo rod and NTN bearings, this too is a quality setup.

Kevin

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 09:44:20 pm
The cranks Chumma builds hold up well to revving.
The Carrillo rod will never break.
Alpha bearings hold up well, and they eventually have their limits, but they will take plenty of hard use.
The FAG or NTN mains hold up very well too, and if the crank is assembled and trued well, which Chumma does very well, then it is as good as it gets.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:38 pm
The cranks Chumma builds hold up well to revving.
The Carrillo rod will never break.
Alpha bearings hold up well, and they eventually have their limits, but they will take plenty of hard use.
The FAG or NTN mains hold up very well too, and if the crank is assembled and trued well, which Chumma does very well, then it is as good as it gets.
I've been revving a Chumma built crank to hell and back for the last 25,000 miles.
Solid as a rock.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:54 pm
So after mocking things up, my huge VDO tach pod just looks idiotic.  Original concept was a big tach facing the rider with a mini speedo tucked away, primarily for the odometer.  (Bike has triple trees, not a casquette)

Now I'm gonna use the mini speedo neatly mounted on the tree, and try to keep it simple and uncluttered.  And I will mount one of these $30 stick-on digital tachs.  Self-powered by a lithium battery good for 35,000 hours or somesuch, with a sensor lead that wraps around the spark plug wire.  Stick-on with velcro or double-face tape, or screw it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-72-A00-Silver-Digital/dp/B00AR2R090/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415828253&sr=8-2&keywords=trail+tech+tachometer

Doesn't look vintage or anything, but it's easy to throw on and use for break-in and tuning, and remove once I'm familiar with the engine's performance.  And put back on if I ever need it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:28 pm
Check the display refresh rate on that unit.
The ones that I have seen are very slow to refresh, and when it says 5000, you might already be at 7000 rpm, but the tach hasn't refreshed the display. From what I have seen of those little tachs, they are okay for a steady state engine like a lawn mower, but not too good for a fast revving motorcycle.
A good working tach that looks a little too big might be a preferable option.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 10:45:22 pm
Interesting; they advertise them for motorcycle use.  That's bad business if it doesn't work well in the application they're selling it for.  I will research.

EDIT:  uh, yeah.  Ace=right, again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSGF2Bltwk

That's waaaay lagging.  Video is annoying, but gives an idea later on of how badly the tach responds, even though the user seems OK with it. /EDIT

I'll get a smaller 1 7/8 electronic motorcycle tach if required; it'll mount up easily unlike the big VDO I bought.  Part of what worries me about it is the way it mounts; I'm unsure if I can secure it very well against the rough-road beatings I'll give the bike.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:05:35 pm by AgentX »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 12:44:29 am
Interesting; they advertise them for motorcycle use.  That's bad business if it doesn't work well in the application they're selling it for.  I will research.

EDIT:  uh, yeah.  Ace=right, again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSGF2Bltwk

That's waaaay lagging.  Video is annoying, but gives an idea later on of how badly the tach responds, even though the user seems OK with it. /EDIT

I'll get a smaller 1 7/8 electronic motorcycle tach if required; it'll mount up easily unlike the big VDO I bought.  Part of what worries me about it is the way it mounts; I'm unsure if I can secure it very well against the rough-road beatings I'll give the bike.
  Agent X Did you see this post pic ? . Its from the MMB site. It looks like a pretty thick bracket & a rubber or plastic cap to protect the wiring & dip switches from weather.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 12:58:20 am
Whatever you do DON'T waste your money on the cheap Chinese tachs on Ebay.  I bought one thinking "It's only $12.  What the hell."  It worked great at idle, and then as soon as I went for a ride it vibrated so badly I couldn't even read it and the needle just bounced around to where ever it wanted.  After a 30 minute ride and shutting the bike down, the needle didn't even rest at 0 anymore, but instead rested at 1500.  Just a heads up for anyone thinking about these tachs.  I'm sure they work great for a Jap bike, but the Enfield's vibrations are just too much for the wimpy mounting bracket to handle.  I was bummed out, it actually looked half way descent on there.  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4bYuPjeq8&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #48 on: January 17, 2015, 04:12:25 pm
OK, I finally got one of those MMB mini tachs. Its great & very responsive it doesn't lag behind going up or down. I was going to take a pic of the back so you could see the two small dip switches that let you easily adjust it for different engines & ignitions. But I forgot :-[ . The tach is a 48mm, the ignition switch hole in the nacelle is 46mm after knocking out the pressed in chrome piece the switch is in, so it just takes a bit of grinding to fit . To my surprise the stock Ing switch fits fine without the chrome piece in the headlight nacelle off to the side, plenty of clearance between it & the headlight. So no rewiring needed. PS: I have a throttle lock cruze control, locked to a slightly higher rpm while its warming up, that's why its showing higher than a normal idle.
Motorman, I like what you did with your tach. I'm looking into doing the same. The space on my bike seems a bit tight though. I'd like to ask you a few questions. I gather the case is 48 mm but, What is the overall bezel (trim ring) diameter? Did you have any problem with the U bracket holding inside the nacelle? I have been in correspondence with the manufacturer but the language barrier makes it difficult . Any input would be appreciated. Sol G
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 06:28:35 am
OK, just checking myself here...

This tach adapter is meant to adapt a tach for a stock Harley to an aftermarket single-fire ignition.  My assumption is therefore, that it doubles the signal input fed into it.

https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/243/index.html

I currently have a tach which needs 2 pulses per rev (4-cyl car tach) but my bike (single-cyl wasted-spark) only gives 1 pulse per rev, showing half the actual engine revs.

Would this adapter work to make my tach read properly?  (Guessing both coil leads go to my single coil, for my application...)  Thanks!

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 04:15:22 am
OK, just checking myself here...

This tach adapter is meant to adapt a tach for a stock Harley to an aftermarket single-fire ignition.  My assumption is therefore, that it doubles the signal input fed into it.

https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/243/index.html

I currently have a tach which needs 2 pulses per rev (4-cyl car tach) but my bike (single-cyl wasted-spark) only gives 1 pulse per rev, showing half the actual engine revs.

Would this adapter work to make my tach read properly?  (Guessing both coil leads go to my single coil, for my application...)  Thanks!
  I looked into one of these type adapters before I found the MMB tach, from what I have read in the ad descriptions I think it should work for you, in theory. As it doubles the signals. But I'm not sure if it can turn 2 signals into 4, as in if it can work that fast, double the load ?. Sorry no idea on the wiring. If you cant find a way to make yours work MMB does make large tachs too , I think they are the size of our stock speedos. Good Luck
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:37:04 am by motorman2whel »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 09:35:39 am
With a wasted spark single, you can use any tach for a single fire twin like a Harley or Jap twin. Should not be hard to find.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:55 pm
In my case (or the new project's, when it's done) I'm guilty of doing it for show. I'm sorry, but the lure of the shiny Mk1 Export Interceptor-style twin clock alloy top yoke was too much to resist, and once you have bought one the appropriate instrumentation has to be sourced! Two speedometers or a speedometer and an 80mm ammeter would just look silly...  ;D

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:00 pm
With a wasted spark single, you can use any tach for a single fire twin like a Harley or Jap twin. Should not be hard to find.

The adapter I showed turns a tach for a dual-fire twin into one for a single-fire twin, so I guess it will work...the Harley tachs I could find all said they were for dual-fire.

However, I went the direction I really wanted and got a Koso TnT, which looks like it will mount up very neatly and be just the size I was seeking.  It is programmable for any number of pulses/cylinders.  What gave me pause was a requirement for constant 12v power in addition to switched, as I am running a small antigravity battery.  4ah isn't a lot of juice in reserve and the batteries are sensitive to draining below 10v.  But Koso tech support said they would walk me through a way to ensure the tach defaults to the number of cylinders I want even if I am just running switched power; I don't need or want any other programmable functions.  The unit doesn't set the cyl count with dip switches; it uses a select button, so I was worried it would dump my settings and default to the wrong one every time I fired up.

We will see how it looks.  I like the fact that it is an integrated unit with a mounting bracket, designed for external use on a bike, and not rigged up in an automotive mounting cup. http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/tachometer/tnt-01r-tachometer-8000-rpm-for-metric-motorcycles-bf-bc/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:45:52 pm by AgentX »

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: February 15, 2015, 08:52:28 pm
Try Dime City they have lots of vintage stuff!  http://www.dimecitycycles.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mini+tach&x=0&y=0

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: February 15, 2015, 09:51:27 pm

However, I went the direction I really wanted and got a Koso TnT, which looks like it will mount up very neatly and be just the size I was seeking.  It is programmable for any number of pulses/cylinders.  What gave me pause was a requirement for constant 12v power in addition to switched, as I am running a small antigravity battery.  4ah isn't a lot of juice in reserve and the batteries are sensitive to draining below 10v.  But Koso tech support said they would walk me through a way to ensure the tach defaults to the number of cylinders I want even if I am just running switched power; I don't need or want any other programmable functions.  The unit doesn't set the cyl count with dip switches; it uses a select button, so I was worried it would dump my settings and default to the wrong one every time I fired up.

We will see how it looks.  I like the fact that it is an integrated unit with a mounting bracket, designed for external use on a bike, and not rigged up in an automotive mounting cup. http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/tachometer/tnt-01r-tachometer-8000-rpm-for-metric-motorcycles-bf-bc/

Koso makes a pretty good gauge.  And I think you will find you'll be happy with the other features like the tripometer , volt meter and etc. Very happy with mine.  Page 58.........

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/catalog/koso_2015_gauges.pdf
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 10:03:39 pm
Wow, that is one sexy cafe racer on page 59!   ;)  How much is that unit GHG?  I really like that a lot.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:56 pm

Koso makes a pretty good gauge.  And I think you will find you'll be happy with the other features like the tripometer , volt meter and etc. Very happy with mine.  Page 58.........

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/catalog/koso_2015_gauges.pdf

Nice pics in the official catalog!  In the photo credit, they called you "Mr"... 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 10:38:53 pm
Wow, that is one sexy cafe racer on page 59!   ;)  How much is that unit GHG?  I really like that a lot.

I think I paid $240 Scottie ?   Give 'em a call and ask for Malanie.   Excellent people there.

Nice pics in the official catalog!  In the photo credit, they called you "Mr"... 

Yeah ?    You believe that Matt !?     The nerve of them.........

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 06:01:12 pm

Koso makes a pretty good gauge.  And I think you will find you'll be happy with the other features like the tripometer , volt meter and etc.

The one I showed is just a tach, no other doodads, although it has memory or something and a few other features.  There's a shift-light version too.  I'm sure I'll like it, assuming Pierre at tech support was correct and it can be run without constant 12v power.

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 05:03:05 pm
I am looking for a more accurate speedometer for my bike and am very interested in the Koso that GHG installed. Will it work with my 2005 Iron Barrel? I only have seen GHG install it on his UCE, has anyone installed one in an Ion Barrel?
 I had been looking at the Smiths PUCA but I like that this has all the lights and both the speedo and Tach.

Thanks,
Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: May 03, 2015, 02:13:05 am
I made some decisions and followed GHG and got a Koso TnT speedo.  So far I love it. Just a few minor issues I am working through with Pierre at Koso with the Tach jumping around. Here it is, oh I also replaced my ammeter with one for the Machismo and a new stem clock so it all matches:

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: May 03, 2015, 08:17:54 am
Crazy coincidence.  I finally mounted the tach-only 8k TNT on my bike yesterday...it was delayed in a shipping error that made it take like 2 months to arrive, and then the bike needed some other higher-priority work done first. 

I don't have a nacelle, so it's mounted on a bracket to the top triple tree.  It also comes with a handlebar clamp.  VERY neat-looking installation, especially compared to what was there before. 

I have been on the phone with Pierre quite a bit, too, for two things:  One, the install calls for one non-switched power hookup in addition to the switch.  My bike has a tiny 4AH battery, and I was worried about draining it, and I didn't need any advanced features, so I wanted to set it up without the constant power source.  Since rev count is set electronically, not via dip switches, I was worried I'd drop the settings when power switched off.  With my unit, turns out this isn't the case.

I also had needle jumping with mine when I tested it out.  I'm running a Boyer Micro-Digital (wasted spark) and Pierre thought I could use the filter accessory.  However, I think the jumping turns out to have been a bad test lead...it runs pretty nicely now.  We'll see if the filter changes anything.

I probably should have looked at an electronic speedo option but just didn't want an LCD screen on my Fred Flintstone bike...

Here's the old VDO setup (wrong tach for the job, my mistake...for a 4-cyl car) which needed a lot of wiring to run the dual light bulbs and was rigged into a pod setup:

Here's the Koso; MUCH cleaner install and built to be weather-sealed:

(I should have some better pics in a little while; will also video the action.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:37:58 am by AgentX »

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #63 on: May 03, 2015, 01:54:56 pm
I am running the Boyer MK4 ignition. I bet the wiring is similar for my tach and yours. How do you have you tach wired?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: May 03, 2015, 02:00:14 pm
I keep going back and forth about installing my Koso DB-01R.  It's a mini digital speedo, tach combo designed for trail bikes.  I originally installed my old '83 Gs550ESD, that I recovered from the guy I traded it to.  It was completely submerged in water for almost 2 months, from 2 years ago when we got all the flooding here in Colorado.  But somehow, the Koso fired right up when I hooked it up to a battery, so I guess it really is water proof.  It's a nice compact all-in-one unit that I payed about $175 for new.  And I still have everything to hook it back up, maybe I can make a bracket and install it on the old handlebar mount.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: May 03, 2015, 02:20:39 pm
Maybe your bracket design can include a vintage style covering or shroud that can disguise it enough to not look so modern.

Or else, maybe you can just dip it in the skull stuff, and have it covered in skulls!
 ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: May 03, 2015, 02:39:03 pm
Maybe your bracket design can include a vintage style covering or shroud that can disguise it enough to not look so modern.

Or else, maybe you can just dip it in the skull stuff, and have it covered in skulls!
 ;D

I like the way you think.  Thanks Ace!  :D  I feel like tomorrow morning I am going to have a skullometer.  ;D

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48:14 pm
I am running the Boyer MK4 ignition. I bet the wiring is similar for my tach and yours. How do you have you tach wired?

I have four leads, one for ground, one for switched power, one (intended) for constant power, and one for tach input.  I have the switched and constant power wired to switched power.  Tach input is off the negative coil terminal, and the tach is set to read the negative pulse.  Rev count is set to "1" on the dial, which corresponds to one pulse per rev to match the wasted spark.

I don't need the filter, but will see if it changes anything since Koso is sending it.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 05:53:47 am
I made some decisions and followed GHG and got a Koso TnT speedo.  So far I love it. Just a few minor issues I am working through with Pierre at Koso with the Tach jumping around. Here it is, oh I also replaced my ammeter with one for the Machismo and a new stem clock so it all matches:

Looks great Damon !  Love the white faced version. ;)

And ... Ummmmmmm ?   If I'm not mistaken ?   This bike looks familiar !?....

http://www.nfieldgear.com/koso-tnt-digital-combination-speedometer-tachometer-for-bullets/

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 10:13:01 am
I hope they asked you for permission to use your pic, GHG!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 05:00:57 pm
That is a familiar looking bike, wow GHG, I'm assuming the royalties must be pretty good  ;)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 02:23:16 am
I hope they asked you for permission to use your pic, GHG!

Yes, Koso did .

That is a familiar looking bike, wow GHG, I'm assuming the royalties must be pretty good  ;)

:o   Pffffff.... Maybe a deal on another gauge at least ! ::) ;D 

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #72 on: May 10, 2015, 03:22:36 am
Ah...I didn't mean from "Koso"
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Nixie

• Scooter
Reply #73 on: June 08, 2015, 10:31:03 pm
I just recieved one so the German MMB tach,  very tidy unit, routed a couple of mm from the ignition key slot and it fits great, looks like it belongs there!

I just need a bit of help with wiring it. I have 12v power, lighting, ect, but there are two impulse wires, a green and a grey, do they go directly to the coil terminals or just one of them? The instructions are in German and very small print at that! I found a video for fitting to UCE but not iron barrel. I have electronic wasted spark ignition btw. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Chris

*EDIT* I found a pdf of the instructions in English,  I only need to use one impulse wire, not both, will presume the positive one for now. I suppose this attaches direct to the + side of the coil?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:34:52 pm by Nixie »

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #74 on: June 11, 2015, 02:35:40 pm
I just recieved one so the German MMB tach,  very tidy unit, routed a couple of mm from the ignition key slot and it fits great, looks like it belongs there!

I just need a bit of help with wiring it. I have 12v power, lighting, ect, but there are two impulse wires, a green and a grey, do they go directly to the coil terminals or just one of them? The instructions are in German and very small print at that! I found a video for fitting to UCE but not iron barrel. I have electronic wasted spark ignition btw. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Chris

*EDIT* I found a pdf of the instructions in English,  I only need to use one impulse wire, not both, will presume the positive one for now. I suppose this attaches direct to the + side of the coil?
If you have electronic ignition, one of those wires go to the tach trigger wire coming from the ignition module.
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Nixie

• Scooter
Reply #75 on: June 11, 2015, 03:46:13 pm
Thanks,
My EI has just 3 wires, I'll take a look and see what they are.

Chris

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: August 26, 2015, 12:11:44 pm
So--Koso TNT tach update.  I never really had it set properly before I had to get some work done on the head, and now that the bike is back together, a few observations:

-It will indeed hold the settings without need for constant power.  Even after a few months without power, it retained the cylinder number and wave form settings.  Maybe constant power is for use with the top-RPM memory feature or something, which I've not used.

-It was only responding when set to positive pulse but with the RPM lead coming off the negative terminal, and was jumpy and obviously not reading accurately.  (Reading way higher than actual RPM).  Pierre from tech support sent me a different rev counter lead, which is supposed to attach to either the positive lead to the coil or to the HT lead to the plug.  I tried it this morning in a test run using alligator clips and electrical tape--reads even and accurate when set up off the HT wire.  Didn't read at all off of the power or the electronic ignition lead to the positive terminal. Would have preferred to set it up off the wires to the coil rather than the plug wire, but since it'll work, I have few complaints.  The way I have my harness built makes it a rather easy component to add to the mix.

-I have it mounted on a bracket to the top triple tree on my bike (taken off an Enfield Thunderbird model), not using a standard casquette, but it comes with a bar mount, too.  It's big and awkward, though.  Would work fine on most bikes if centered between the sides of an open handlebar clamp arrangement, but with the casquette that's not possible, and it would block the speedo view.  One of the smaller units might be better for handlebar mounting.

So once I have it all set up, looks like I'll be sound as a pound.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:15:15 pm by AgentX »

arindamcc

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: June 27, 2016, 06:27:50 pm

Chris

Fit the Tacho wire to the Ignition coil -ve terminal.