Author Topic: chain and sprocket weirdness...  (Read 5678 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 11:44:53 am
What brand chain did you get?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 04:10:23 pm
RK O ring.def way more heavy duty than the renolds i got from hitchcocks.
amazing what a difference a new chain makes. its sooo smooth now...
the old chain was surging, rubbing, stretching. lesson learned here to take note of when a chain is stuffed and what the symptoms are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 05:10:04 pm
 this chain probably has about 15000km

Glad that fixed your problem...You did get 15 k clicks from that OEM style chain, which seems to be spot on...I replaced mine right around the 10.5 k mile mark..Some of the fellows are getting real good numbers out of those 0 ring style chains..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 06:32:44 pm
RK O ring.def way more heavy duty than the renolds i got from hitchcocks.
amazing what a difference a new chain makes. its sooo smooth now...
the old chain was surging, rubbing, stretching. lesson learned here to take note of when a chain is stuffed and what the symptoms are.

Glad it's sorted.  A quick check to see if a chain is done is just two things:
1) Are there any frozen links?
2) Grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and pull it away from the sprocket.  If it comes away far enough for you to see light between the chain and sprocket, it's done.

You can do this in two minutes on any bike.  Yes, you can try to free up the frozen links but it's on it's way out.  You can tighten it a bit more but it's on its way out.  A lame chain can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, just replace it now and don't get something cheap.

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 02:14:00 am
Glad it's sorted.  A quick check to see if a chain is done is just two things:
1) Are there any frozen links?
2) Grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and pull it away from the sprocket.  If it comes away far enough for you to see light between the chain and sprocket, it's done.

You can do this in two minutes on any bike.  Yes, you can try to free up the frozen links but it's on it's way out.  You can tighten it a bit more but it's on its way out.  A lame chain can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, just replace it now and don't get something cheap.

Scott

Thanks Scotty. I'll be sure to do that later on down the track.
Yeah tightening only worked for a few miles. This happened about 1000km from home, but due to my lack of knowledge and experience, it took a week of trial and error and forum digging here to figure it out. Lost a mirror, horn, and had a pretty uncomfortable ride home as a result. Chains easy to change. Should have taken a spare. I'm not gonna punish this bike anymore with really long rides in short time.