Author Topic: Possible to change stock Inder shock to the C5 rear shock or a Hagon shock?  (Read 2893 times)

enfielddan

• Scooter
I have a 2012 C5 with an Inder sidecar.  Is it possible to change the stock shock on the Inder sidecar to the C5 rear shock?  Has anyone done so and what are the advantages and disadvantages?  If it is possible then the sidecar would better match the bike, and it seems the rear bike shock is more robust and has the ability to be adjustable (as compared to the stock Inder sidecar shock).  I'll also ask the RE mechanic when I bring it in for its next service.  Or maybe a Hagon shock would fit?  Also would a change to a different sidecar shock alter the geometry where it would have to be re-aligned. Thanks in advance.

Danny
2012 Burgundy/White C5 with matching Inder sidecar
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:28:53 am by enfielddan »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
As long as the eye-to-eye length is the same as the original shock on the side car it should not alter the geometry.  Other than that I don't know enough about rigs to really say one way or the other, but I would assume that having 3 shocks of the same brand and model would provide the best overall handling.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
The best sidecar shock would be completely different from the motorcycle shock. Ideally it will have very little compression damping and lots of rebound damping. Spring rate depends on the side car loads being carried.

waldopic

• Scooter
Hello Enfield Dan,
Do you have any photos of your sidecar mounting to the RE?  I am rigging up am Inder to a 2012 military c5.  Especially interested in the hardware used to attach the rig and where the attach on the cycle.
Thanks,
Waldo

enfielddan

• Scooter
Waldo,

I posted the sidecar mounting pictures in the sidecar topic called "Changing Countershaft Sprocket for a sidecar?"  If you need more or specific pictures, please inform me.

Danny
2012 C5 with Inder sidecar

enfielddan

• Scooter
Motomataya,

Which sidecar shock would you then recommend if I usually have my dog that weighs about 70 pounds in the sidecar?  I might also have one passenger weighting up to 130 pounds, and also the dog and passenger together.  If I do not have the dog or passenger, I would put in a 60 pounds bag of sand.

And it is better to keep the Inder stock sidecar shock versus changing it out for a stock C5 motorcycle shock (even if that C5 motorcycle shock is adjustable)?

Thanks,
Danny
2012 C5 with Inder sidecar

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
If I really wanted the best one I would call Works Performance and have one made to my needs. I always just leave the stock one on. Sidecars of this style are rally cool but performance is never going to be a real goal. If you have $30,000 you can build a serious outfit. Get the geometry set right and have fun with your dog.