Author Topic: Pull to the right on braking  (Read 3859 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
on: September 23, 2014, 06:43:15 pm
Howdy all! Yet another post on what is undoubtedly a "mystery" only to a n00b like myself....

When braking (front brake only), my bike pulls decidedly to the right. Every time. Thoughts? Front wheel mis-aligned? Right spring softer than the left? Sucked to the right by demons?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:47:14 pm
Howdy all! Yet another post on what is undoubtedly a "mystery" only to a n00b like myself....

When braking (front brake only), my bike pulls decidedly to the right. Every time. Thoughts? Front wheel mis-aligned? Right spring softer than the left? Sucked to the right by demons?

Maybe uneven pressure being applied from the brake pads.  The outer pad may be hanging up and the inner pad is doing most of the work causing it to pull.........
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:53:58 pm
Hmmm....I can check that, thanks! It doesn't vibrate at all, though. I'm not sure I understand the physics of that scenario (well, honestly, physics generally, actually). Why would that cause the pull?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:58:17 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:57:35 pm
Have you adjusted the chain recently?  Check that the front and rear wheels are properly aligned to each other.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/02/21/ask-kevin-whats-the-best-way-to-check-motorcycle-wheel-alignment/

Scott

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:59:33 pm
I have, but it has always been same notch on both sides. No pull on rear braking only. Wouldn't we expect pull on braking either front or rear? Also, the pull is instantaneous as soon as the front dives.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:02 pm
Check your spokes and make sure they're tight. The brake pressure on one side can pull your rim off center if they aren't. Not unusual for wire wheels!
Also check your forks and make sure everything tight there. have you changed or removed your front fender? Check the triple clamp and axle bolts.
As for the grip of the brake pads, the disk moves to equalize the pressure on both sides of the disk. That isn't a problem.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:12:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:03 pm
I have, but it has always been same notch on both sides. No pull on rear braking only. Wouldn't we expect pull on braking either front or rear? Also, the pull is instantaneous as soon as the front dives.

Still worth checking the alignment, it only takes a few minutes and a piece of string.

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:57 pm
"Also, the pull is instantaneous as soon as the front dives."
+1 on the checking the spokes and the forks rather than the brakes.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:20:51 pm
re. wheel alignment: do we align the rear wheel to the front wheel, or align the rear wheel so the sprockets line up?  I've been told that both of them are the "correct" thing to do...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:55 pm
re. wheel alignment: do we align the rear wheel to the front wheel, or align the rear wheel so the sprockets line up?  I've been told that both of them are the "correct" thing to do...

If your frame is straight they should be the same ;)

Pick one, align, then check the other.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:05:19 pm
For proper handling the wheels need to line up. For chain and sprocket life the chain needs to line up. However, there is no right or wrong. If they don't both line up, you have a definite wrong. Something is bent of the bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 01:15:13 am
One reason I did not think alignment was the likely culprit was that the pull foes not occur with engine or rear braking alone. Only when the front brake is engaged.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:24 am
Your brakes are the most powerful force in your bike.  Even on a sport bike, you can stop from any speed in less time and distance than it takes to accelerate to that speed, and while the back wheel gets thrust and braking the front wheel only gets braking.  Check the spokes and alignment.  Both quick and easy to do. B

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 03:20:28 am
Spokes all feel similarly tight, will check alignment.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:39 pm
     You should certainly check all the mechanical stuff mentioned, plus tire pressure. But... It may be your braking technique. I've had a few customers in  the past that had the same problem with different bikes. They would sub-consciously pull their arm back while actuating the brake lever.
     It is similar to learning to shoot. It takes practice to separate trigger finger movement from full hand movement, so accuracy suffers. Opperating motorcycle controls requires that same kind of separation. Besides the braking issue you noted, I have had customers whose bike pulled top the right when they accellerated: They pulled with their right arm while twisting the throttle. Or they pull to the left when pulling in the clutch. Even your seating position can be a factor. Because the Enfield is so light and responsive it can be sensitive to rider input.
     So this may be a mechanical issue, but if you can't pinpoint the cause it may be worthwhile to look into control use technique.