Author Topic: New owner here, no issues so far  (Read 11105 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 01:41:40 pm
I just thought of another possibility.

Roads are "crowned" so that they are higher in the middle. In the US we drive on the right side of the road. So, it would be natural for the bike to have a slight drift to the right on a road like that. But on a flat parking lot, it should go straight.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1thump

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 04:54:52 pm
Definitely not riding position as it doesn't happen on my other bikes, also not the crown on the road as I've tried it multiple times. Maybe I'll have to get the alignment checked.
'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:59 pm
I might point out, the torpedo that came on my G5 does weigh over 10 pounds.  Its one heavy dude!

I, for one wouldn't be surprised that it is the cause of the right hand drift.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

1thump

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:22 pm
I was looking at this exhaust as I think the stock looks too big also.

http://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/cafe-racer-motorcycle-parts/megaphone-continental-gt/

Anyone have any experience with it? Looks like a straight pipe to me

'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:35 pm
Just measure from the center point of the swing arm pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle bolt on both sides to check alignment. If those measurements are the same,... then there's trouble somewhere else. Maybe the weight of the pipe. Maybe the crown of the road, or maybe a bent frame. I'd break out a tape measure and eliminate at least one possibility within a few minutes.

Dave73

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:27 am
I was looking at this exhaust as I think the stock looks too big also.

http://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/cafe-racer-motorcycle-parts/megaphone-continental-gt/

Anyone have any experience with it? Looks like a straight pipe to me

I have that exhaust installed on my bike...  It's much lighter than stock.  And yes, it's basically a straight pipe.  It has a plate welded in towards the end of the exhaust but as far as I could tell that was the only baffling.

-Dave

2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2008 Ducati 848
1973 Ducati 350
1973 Honda CB350
1976 Honda CB550
2011 Audi S5

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:29 pm
I might point out, the torpedo that came on my G5 does weigh over 10 pounds.  Its one heavy dude!

I, for one wouldn't be surprised that it is the cause of the right hand drift.

I sometimes hang an ammo case pannier on one side of my Suzuki bobber. Doesn't make any difference and it doesn't pull to that side with all that weight and drag.  YMMV.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:16 pm
According to Keith Code in "The Twist of the Wrist", the weight won't cause it to driftspeed  when at speed. Even having a rider shift theor weight extremely to one side of a motorcyle won't adjust it's course IF the handlebars stay stationary. It's all about counter steer.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 02:31:47 am
According to Keith Code in "The Twist of the Wrist", the weight won't cause it to driftspeed  when at speed. Even having a rider shift theor weight extremely to one side of a motorcyle won't adjust it's course IF the handlebars stay stationary. It's all about counter steer.

First of all, Congrats on the new bike! Do you still have the alcoholic Fireball?

In my Harley days, I could stand on a floorboard and the bike would track straight. When I got a Ducati, I could change direction by weighting one footpeg or the other, no hands on the bar. Take that, Keith Code! What Mr. Code is trying to show with his "NO BS" bike is how effective countersteering is. It is a good lesson, but not the final word.

1thump

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 09:21:46 am
Alcoholic fireball?

Still trying to figure out what the cause of the drift is. Can other GT owners chime in, when you let go of the bars while riding, does the bike veer right?
'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 11:38:18 am
Nope. It will drift with the camber of the road, that's all. I paid special attention while I was riding the other night after reading this post.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 03:31:24 pm
Same here. Just a slight rightward drift. I guess I need to find a long stretch of road that I can see who's coming and switch to the other lane and see if it has a leftward drift...

1thump

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 03:56:37 pm
Ok because mine definetly pulls right, I have to shift my weight way left for it to track straight
'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:36 pm
First of all, Congrats on the new bike! Do you still have the alcoholic Fireball?

In my Harley days, I could stand on a floorboard and the bike would track straight. When I got a Ducati, I could change direction by weighting one footpeg or the other, no hands on the bar. Take that, Keith Code! What Mr. Code is trying to show with his "NO BS" bike is how effective countersteering is. It is a good lesson, but not the final word.
Wrong 1thump.  :)
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 05:19:28 pm

I'm sure the bars on the Ducati were in fact moving (negative steering) as you shifted weight. The point Mr Code was making was that it's not weight that changes direction. If you hold the bars straight and shift weight to one side or the other, you'll still track pretty straight. Now if you truly held the bars in a static position and the bike changed direction by shifting weight, then that would disprove his point.