Author Topic: Trail Blazer  (Read 32341 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:21 pm
Looking really nice Kevin!  Damn weather isn't cooperating here either.  It's been raining for 3 weeks straight and yesterday we got hammered with hail again.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #91 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:41 pm
Very sweet looking machine!
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: May 17, 2015, 01:22:38 pm
Kevin, I'm curious as to what type of fuel do you plan on running in this motor?

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 01:32:38 pm
At the moment normal unleaded not sure of the rating, but if it nocks I will use an octane booster. I think I am slightly advanced on the timing, as it spits back when cold, but will keep it where it is until I have the carb correct. I may switch to a concentric for development as I grew up with this carb and it may save me some time. I can't use it on the road to test it properly yet, I did have a very quick potter up the road, and took it upto 50 ish and it was very smooth and comfortable, too short a ride to get a proper feel though.
I have decided I don't like the sound from the 2 into 1, so have just hit Hitchcocks to go the separate pipe route, I had to order a couple of gaskets and you know what its like, you get carried away. :-)
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: May 17, 2015, 01:37:42 pm
I was actually going to ask about the exhaust.  Is that a factory Connie exhaust?  If so, I have heard that they are less than ideal and a lot of guys go with dual exhaust.  That was one of the reasons that prompted me to build my own exhaust.  What did you not like about it?

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #95 on: May 17, 2015, 01:49:38 pm
It sounds like a cross between an early 2 stroke and an old super dream, and also it is too efficient I can here too much mechanical noise (there is no baffle to remove), I prefer a bit more bark.
Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #96 on: May 17, 2015, 04:14:10 pm
Looking at the old brochure picture for the '56 Trail Blazer on the Hitchcock's gallery, I see it would have had twin pipes and what looks like Burgess type silencers. A couple of Indian shorties for a 350 would look pretty close and probably give you a bit more blat (depending on the manufacturer), unless you had something else planned?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #97 on: May 17, 2015, 06:36:19 pm
Hi
Yes Adrian, I thought as the engine is basically a Connie that the siamesed pipe would be the one to use, but as you say originally it had separate pipes. I have ordered the pipes from Hitchcocks, and the silencers from the parts book, they do look like the Indian shorties. I will leave this pipe on for the MOT, then fit them after.
Here is a short youtube video from earlier today :
https://youtu.be/ha-RY7c6gSM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: May 17, 2015, 06:56:31 pm
:D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: May 17, 2015, 10:03:53 pm
My comments are on the MBR forum!  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #100 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:46 pm
Ironing out a few issues while rebuilding the top end with more clearance on the pushrods. The alternator and stator had made contact, and there was a crankcase venting issue. I have fitted an Electrex ignition and stator kit, (timing driven from the crankshaft, and a 70w alternator in one), and added a crank vent along with earlier breather to help reduce crankcase pressure. Here are a couple of pictures:
Here is a link for anyone interested http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-102D_-_Ignition_Alternator_Kit.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:28:11 pm by da punds »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: September 23, 2015, 04:17:52 am
I have the single-cylinder version of the Electrex waiting to go on something, though the alternator side of it only chucks out 50W - LEDs all round when I fit it to a bike, methinks!

Let us know how well it fares on ease of starting and how well it copes with the lights. Basically it's a more up to date version of the CDI type alternator that RE India fitted to the K/S 350 Machismo and AVL Thunderbird models:

A.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #102 on: November 22, 2015, 02:49:54 pm
Fitting twin carbs, I found that Concentrics will fit and let me keep the airbox.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: November 24, 2015, 12:02:04 am
Keeping the airbox is important for preserving a certain look, though it does not seem to allow for any kind of bellmouth on the carbs, let alone any filter, though salt spray rather than road dust might be the problem in your part of the world.

You could consider using the Fury-style battery mounting which was also used on some of the Indian badged twins. It still looks cool/vintage and would give you some room to tidy those threaded carb ends up:

The picture was supplied by a gentleman who had previously restored this one and sent me same details explaining how the battery was mounted.

A.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: November 10, 2017, 01:36:20 pm
Hey Kevin.  Did you ever get this build finished?  I'm getting ready to tear down my old Trailblazer and got to thinking about this project.  Would love to hear an update on your build.