Author Topic: Trail Blazer  (Read 32943 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:50 pm
I like it too.   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 12:05:40 pm
Thought I would post an update, I have been very busy with work, so I have not had much time in the workshop, and have been shopping for bits instead. I have decided to go the disc route on the front end, with the potential performance from this bike, I need to be able to stop. The cylinder heads are still at the engineers, and I hope to be able to check the clearance some time next week, this is all that is stopping me from finishing the engine, and then I can fire it up for the first time. I will video the occasion and post.
The electrics are finished, and I am very pleased with the keyless ignition, I have had the tiny magnets sewn into all my sets of gloves, so now I never need to worry about keys for this or the Bighead as I just need my gloves. Great when you are cold and wet, or trying to fish your keys out from under your waterproofs. I have ordered a sticker for the top of the tank, I found an old Indian advert from 1956 with a logo saying Trailblazer and Indian superimposed on the bottom right hand half, they will change the Indian to Gemini and use the RE constellation script. I will post a picture of this, before I hand it over to the guy who is painting the tank.
I had been unable to get the correct footrests, and my patience was eventually rewarded thanks to eBay, so these the side stand and the primary case are all off to the powder coaters. I am powder coating the primary case because it has been welded up and after I polished it, it still looked wrong.
I have this afternoon off, and the weather is not too bad, so I am going for a ride, my first of the year, I will probably take the 570 as it is the easiest to get out of the shed.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:09 pm
Pushrods should be coming in soon.

Enjoy your ride today.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #63 on: February 14, 2015, 05:00:43 pm
Hi,

I can understand the use of a disc front end if that motor lives up to what we're hoping for. ;D However just be aware that the long fork shrouds for the pre-88 and Redditch forks (which I saw in an earlier post of yours) won't fit over the later fork sliders, whether drum or C5 UCE type disc, and definitely not over the Electra type, where the mudguard mount would also foul them even if the seal housing didn't!

If you are using a set of C5/B5 type forks and want to keep the tin shrouds, use the C5/B5 shrouds and a set of '50s headlamp brackets from Hitchcock's. If you're using gaiters, you can simply chop the long shrouds about 1" below the bottom yoke pinch bolts. I know you can convert drum forks to disc, but it's not recommended as the alloy castings of the drum brake models aren't really strong enough.

Meanwhile I look forward to some pictures of how it's doing. God willing, NewProj is off for a little holiday/vacation at B.W.'s next week, which should give me plenty of garage room to get Asbo12 sorted and back in one piece.

What ignition system are you using, by the way?

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #64 on: February 14, 2015, 08:30:20 pm
Hi Adrian,
The front end is a Hitchcocks conversion, this will allow the shrouds to be kept, the ugly bit is the master cylinder, I will eventually find an aftermarket one I like.
The ignition is PowerArc, this is my preferred ignition for all my bikes, easy to program, multiple maps and rev limits, and very easy to install. On the trailblazer I have a magneto replacement body, into which I have installed the ignition, the coil tucks away nicely in the airbox, using it to provide a heatsink for the coil, (wasted spark, 1 coil, dual lead). Initially I am planning on using the Interceptor map provided and take the development from there.
I saw the picture of some engine bits at BW's, is that your new project ?

Kevin
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 01:56:29 am
Hi,

sounds like that PowerArc is what Scottie should be using instead of the Thorspark!  :o

Those aren't my parts at B.W.'s, someone else is having a 612 engine built. As I said, my stuff is being taken there next week (later this week, now).

If you're looking for a fancier master cylinder Venhill's may have something suitable in their Magura range.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 02:57:24 pm
Hi,

sounds like that PowerArc is what Scottie should be using instead of the Thorspark!  :o

Those aren't my parts at B.W.'s, someone else is having a 612 engine built. As I said, my stuff is being taken there next week (later this week, now).

If you're looking for a fancier master cylinder Venhill's may have something suitable in their Magura range.

Regards,

A.

Yep, I have buyers remorse.  Especially considering that the Power/Arc is the exact same price as the Thorspark, but is 100 times the product.  Like I mentioned, Thorspark will be recieving a not-so-nice email today informing them with my extreme disappointment in such a poor quality product.  I'm pretty sure that when I bought it that it came with "5 year warranty".  We'll see how that plays out.

Punds - How much did you pay for your set up with the replacement ignition drive housing?  Is the housing part of Power Arc too?

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 09:19:38 pm
I have used PowerArc. Did not work for me. May work for you. PM me if interested.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #68 on: February 22, 2015, 05:27:51 pm
Hi,

I can understand the use of a disc front end if that motor lives up to what we're hoping for. ;D However just be aware that the long fork shrouds for the pre-88 and Redditch forks (which I saw in an earlier post of yours) won't fit over the later fork sliders, whether drum or C5 UCE type disc, and definitely not over the Electra type, where the mudguard mount would also foul them even if the seal housing didn't!

If you are using a set of C5/B5 type forks and want to keep the tin shrouds, use the C5/B5 shrouds and a set of '50s headlamp brackets from Hitchcock's. If you're using gaiters, you can simply chop the long shrouds about 1" below the bottom yoke pinch bolts. I know you can convert drum forks to disc, but it's not recommended as the alloy castings of the drum brake models aren't really strong enough.

Meanwhile I look forward to some pictures of how it's doing. God willing, NewProj is off for a little holiday/vacation at B.W.'s next week, which should give me plenty of garage room to get Asbo12 sorted and back in one piece.

What ignition system are you using, by the way?

Regards,

A.
Sorry I missed this when you posted I have modified the originals with larger shrouds, (see Picture). To overcome the weakness of the of the castings I have made my own caliber mount brackets. These are being powder coated, will post a picture when done.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:39 pm
Pushrods have arrived. Will pick them up and ship ASAP.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #70 on: February 22, 2015, 05:33:53 pm
Thanks Tom, let me know how much I owe you.
Kevin

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: February 22, 2015, 06:59:28 pm
Thanks Tom, let me know how much I owe you.
Kevin

No charge.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:49 pm
Thanks Tom,
here is a quick scan of the tank top transfer, hope you approve.

Kevin

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:17 pm
That's awesome!  :D

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 09:14:15 pm
Thanks Scottie,
I used an advert from 1956 which had Trailblazer and Indian superimposed on the bottom right.