Author Topic: Trail Blazer  (Read 32320 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 12:59:36 pm
I just read on another blog that the US ECTA(East Coast Timing Association) LSR Speed Record Holder in 650 N/A pushrod, with his 650 Triumph twin, has dyno'd his bike at 60 hp at the engine(crank hp). This is a pure race bike, trailered to the track.
He has run somewhere around 122 mph in the flying mile on that bike, and holds the record.

Just FYI.

While the Trailblazer is about 42cc more than that, I think this engine will do better than 60 engine hp, even on a street bike.

As a side note, I showed him pics of our roller rockers for this application, and he wished they had that for his Triumph. I told him we could do his heads, but he wasn't willing to spend any money.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:03:21 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 03:55:52 pm
Thanks Ace, this is inspiring stuff and puts the pressure on me to produce a build that delivers.
I am very busy at the moment but manage to sneak a couple of hours in the workshop today, so here is a progress shot.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 11:00:07 pm
Like the belt drive clutch, though perhaps a genuine Lucas RM21 alternator might give you better output than the Indian version!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 10:17:23 pm
Custom pushrods ordered!
 :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 11:43:15 pm
Sweet!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:45 am
Dapunds,
At one point you had mentioned that you were considering a carb-to-EFI conversion. Did you finally get around to that project?

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 09:40:01 am
Dapunds,
At one point you had mentioned that you were considering a carb-to-EFI conversion. Did you finally get around to that project?
Hi so far I have only played around in the workshop with the kit, I have had the bike running but have not had sufficient time to de-bug all the issues. Now I am thinking of using the kit on one of the Trailblazer engines, the main reason being that the units seem to work better with more than one cylinder.
The Fireball now runs very well with the Mikuni, and I seem to have dialled out most of the issues, so I don't want to change something that is working.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 04:06:42 pm
The custom made adjustable pushrods for the ACE Fireball RE Twin Heads with roller rockers.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:41 pm
They look great, its almost a shame to hide them away inside the engine.    :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 05:12:12 pm
Sexy!  Jealous!   ;)

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 05:40:53 pm
Like the belt drive clutch, though perhaps a genuine Lucas RM21 alternator might give you better output than the Indian version!

A.

I have gone for the Wassall alternator, it claims to be about 120 watt, which will be plenty. I am planning on running fog/driving lights, the ignition will draw very little power, (PowerArc), so there will be plenty of power for everything.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 11:57:57 pm
With some of the weather you're getting up there some fog lights might be a good idea.

I have just ordered an LED H4 headlamp bulb which draws 1.66 amps, equating to about 20W power consumption, on full beam, but is rated as a 55/60W bulb in terms of actual light emitted. Too good to be true? Well they're a lot dearer than normal H4 as well as bulkier (no good for the casquette headlamp with the speedometer in the shell), but I'll see how I get on with it and report back if it lives up to expectations. They do LED bulbs in other fittings too, perhaps suitable for your fog/driving lights.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php

Regards,

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 02:07:51 am
Report back time. The "bulb" arrived Saturday morning and was eagerly unpacked.  As per the mfr's warnings it is quite bulky with a chunky heat sink (?!) at the back with a little black box wired in to a remote H4 male spade connector. It also has a metal end cap on the LED side.

My first thought was "that's never going to fit", but it does go into the Lucas (style) 7" headlamp shell on the Electra-X OK and everything screws back on. Does it work? Oh yes, a very bright blue-ish white light compared to the dirty yellow glimmer of the pilot bulb. I managed a quick after-dark test ride and after only one oncoming driver flashed me while I was riding on dipped beam (had to stop and point the lamp a bit further down), I think I can chalk up a success, provided the thing has a reasonably long life. For the money it cost, it better had!

Regards,

A.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 02:24:36 am
Not to hijack this thread but you should post a new thread with pics of the light beam.  I've been interested in those myself.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 05:11:00 pm
Not sure if my now rather antique digital camera is up to it, I shall give it a go and see if there's anything usable I can post. Unusually for LED this lamp works with positive and negative earth wiring systems. They are expensive (compared to normal H4s) as well as bulky, and that's just with UK taxes and shipping. If I can get some decent pictures up, you can decide if it's worth the money or not!

A.