Author Topic: Trail Blazer  (Read 32312 times)

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
  • One of Britain's most northerly Bullet fans
on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:00 am
I have just started my next project a 58/59 trail blazer, I hope to build it using the Ace Roller rocker top end.
I am sure my plans will evolve, but really excited, the build is a blank canvas, as the only bits I have so far are crankcases and a frame.
Kevin

56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:21 pm
Is this one of the ones that Hitchcocks brought back from the U.S.?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:07:55 pm
No this is from Denmark, don't know how it ended up there.
56 Trailblazer Gemini, Super Fireball BigHead, 59 Clipper 570, 39 Model CO + others(BMW, GasGas, Yamaha, Suzuki (rare GSXR-750R)), Mk1a Interceptor project.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:25:04 pm
Looted by chronologically-challenged Vikings?  ;D

Sounds like fun though, keep us posted.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:23 pm
I have just started my next project a 58/59 trail blazer, I hope to build it using the Ace Roller rocker top end.
I am sure my plans will evolve, but really excited, the build is a blank canvas, as the only bits I have so far are crankcases and a frame.
Kevin
Kevin,
Are you going to use the Big Head with our roller rockers on it, or do you plan to use our conversion of the regular Bullet head for the roller rockers?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:22:43 pm
Kevin,
Are you going to use the Big Head with our roller rockers on it, or do you plan to use our conversion of the regular Bullet head for the roller rockers?

Ace - The trailblazer is a 700 twin.  I assume he's interested in what you are doing to my heads.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:10:42 pm
Ace - The trailblazer is a 700 twin.  I assume he's interested in what you are doing to my heads.
Doh!
That's right.
Brain fart!
 :o

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:24:40 pm
Some updated pictures.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:27:08 pm
Looking good!
Those new heads are gonna be great on it!

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:43 pm
Thanks, still long way to go.

Kevin

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:58:31 pm
Kevin, the bike looks great so far!  I'm glad that the heads are going to a good home.  Make sure you replace the factory rods with something stronger.  I was going to have steel H-beam rods made, but being that you're in the UK, the Hitchcock rods will probably work fine.  Ironic how the heads are going on the same model bike as they were originally intended.  :)

Not sure where you are going with your build, but it looks like you may have a BTH ignition on there so I assume you are not worried about staying stock/original.  If so, get rid of the fork shrouds.  They rattle really bad and mark the fork tubes.  The headlight ears also sheared off on my mine during a ride leaving my headlight hanging by the wires.  I now have the light mounted with billet mounts.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 07:30:51 pm
Hi Scottie,
Thanks, I was planning on using Hitcocks rods, and after talking to BW about pistons will use the Wiseco T110 pistons.
The look is evolving based on what comes up on eBay, the shrouds initially will be hiding some seen better days forks, eventually may go disc brake like I have on the Bighead. Ignition will be PowerArc, as I have the programming kit, and it works really well on my other Bullets. Primary and clutch will be Bob Newbie, as I don't have a primary or clutch yet. Before I sent the shrouds off for powder coating, I spot welded some 16swg Zintec plates on the inside to strengthen them, so hopefully my light won't fall off.
The pictures show my trailblazer crank cases, but will build the bike with my later Constellation motor and crank, as the lubrication system and crank are much improved.
I am looking forward to see what difference the heads will make, as a friend has an Interceptor mark 1, and it will provide an interesting comparison.
Things may change, but this is my plan at the moment.
Kevin

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:38 pm
Those heads can take cams with lift up to .350", and the Interceptor R cams would be perfect.
You'll need more compression than a standard bike, because the rockers will make the cams seem longer than normal. Just like your Big Head Bullet needed the compression bump to see the best from it.

That bike should probably see at least 10 hp more than any Interceptor can make, in street trim. The heads can support 80hp at 8200 rpm with a pair of 32mm carbs, in full race trim.

da punds

• Fireball 25
  • Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:03 pm
Thanks Ace,
BW thinks I should be around the 10:1 mark with these pistons. Initially I shall use the Constellation cams which lift 0.344. I am planning on using 2 x 32mm TM Mikuni's, at least the choke will be accessible on one of them.
An extra 10 HP is good, the Constellation put out 52HP as standard, thats 20% extra .. WOW !
Kevin

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 08:53:58 pm
Thanks Ace,
BW thinks I should be around the 10:1 mark with these pistons. Initially I shall use the Constellation cams which lift 0.344. I am planning on using 2 x 32mm TM Mikuni's, at least the choke will be accessible on one of them.
An extra 10 HP is good, the Constellation put out 52HP as standard, thats 20% extra .. WOW !
Kevin

Since these heads are suitable for racing, the higher you rev the engine, the more hp it will make, up to about 8200 rpm where I would expect the max hp point to be.  But it would sustain even higher than 8200 rpm for a shift point, like maybe 8500 rpm. It just comes down to how high you want to rev the street bike for sake of reliability, and not blowing up the bottom end.
Those roller rockers were custom made for us by one of the leading rocker manufacturers for NASCAR racing cars. Very top shelf rockers!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:59:44 pm by ace.cafe »