Author Topic: fuel light comes on now stays on ?  (Read 1424 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 20, 2014, 05:02:00 am
Does it mean anything? Fuel light now perm on after filling tank?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:32:21 am
According to the wiring diagram I have, power goes from the ignition switch to the fuel sensor.  The sensor switch is open if the fuel level is high enough.  If the fuel level drops, the switch closes sending the power to the low fuel light which is grounded.

This leads me to believe that either the float is stuck in the "low fuel" position, it isn't floating for whatever reason, or the switch is, for reasons only known to it, is stuck in the always on position.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:41:56 am
if the problem persists - just write down your speedo reading with a marker pen and fill every 300 klm

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 06:15:16 am
Floats have failed before, and then the light will usually stay on.  If you want to drain the tank it's easy to remove the float and see if it's working by putting it in some gas and seeing if it floats.  You can also connect it and move the float by hand and see if the light goes on and off.  You'll see what's wrong.  Regardless, you'll probably need a new float switch or (more inexpensively) a Sharpie marker to write down your mileage on the handlebar ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:09:50 am
Those floats have a tendency to fail for a variety of reason, but this crap they call gas in the US, with the corn squeezins in it, seems to eat up the floats. They aren't terribly expensive, about $25.00, and I don't think they're covered under warranty. I think that tends to vary a bit between dealers as the warranty presumably doesn't cover electrical bits. I think I had to pay for one.
Oh, yeah, be careful when tightening these things up. The hex is not attached to the threads and as you keep turning the hex and you think it hasn't bottomed out yet, the threads can rip off the hex and keep going up into the tank, then you gotta leaky tank!
When the oring just starts to squish on the hex and the bottom of the tank, stop turning the wrench!
Bare
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:16:19 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:45:05 am
Wrench?  I think I hand tightens mine, at least most of the way.   As Bare says, take is easy b

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:06:48 am
thanks guys. got the muffler properly back on today. installed the stock mirrors that are def temporary, they are really bad. i think the fuel light might be behaving again...the machine was protesting. saying "get me home, im a homebody not a hobo, and i dont like doing 120kph for hours!"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:26:28 am by Sectorsteve »

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:28 pm
I don't suppose they put corn liquor in gas down in OZ. When mine fails, and it will, I'm going to remove it and not replace it. The melted plastic will likely mix with the gas/alcohol mixture, and plug up the FI system. I'm surprised they even have a fuel gauge. Seems like the kind of person who would typically ride an Enfield would know how to do it the right way.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:11:22 pm
What a PIA...Is the corn liquor eating up all these floats...A good pic of the suspect  item would sure be a eye opener...A 5 % increase in ethanol additive may just be the nail in the coffin..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:11 pm
The US won't be going up to 15% any time soon.  They tried to do that a few months ago.  Of course the moto and RV lobbies pushed back hard for whatever that is worth, but even Detroit said no way. Most new cars would have problems and almost all older cars would have serious issues.  So they backed down and I don't think it will happen again any time soon.

FWIW, lots of motos, boats, and other recreational vehicles have problems with ethanol fuel.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:04 pm
Hell...HIC..I even have trome souble with ethanol ...HIC...fuel! :o
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com