Author Topic: Rear axle question  (Read 6965 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
on: September 18, 2014, 02:54:23 pm
So, my rear axle assembly has the snail tensioner cam, the metal hub spacer, a metal ring with a rubber flange that (I believe) is a dust seal for the non-drive side of the hub, and the castle nut and pin. Should there be any other washers? I think the hub spacer was compressing the rubber gasket it sits against on the non-drive side of the hub, and so the castle nut tightened well past the pin holes in the axle. Is this normal?

Non-drive side rubber gasket:

Hub spacer and dust seal:

Also, you can see some wear on the non-taper side of the hub spacer, which was against the dropout in the swingarm. Should there be a washer between the two?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:37:37 pm
Hitchcock's website has parts diagrams and schematics for the various models.  The one linked to below is for the G5 rear wheel.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/3453/Rear_Wheel

It shows the parts and the order they are installed. I wouldn't think there would be any difference between the G5 and other UCE engined models as regards the wheel assembly (other than diameter), but you can check the other models' schematics as well.

Cheers,

Blair

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:43:12 pm
Lemming - I don't know if this will help you with anything or not... I hope some more experienced guys chime in.

Attached is a pic of my wheel, installed.  You can see the axle end, snail adjuster, swing arm plate, black spacer, and small "silver" spacer, which has a flange (and which isn't shown in my B5 parts diagram at all).  Those two metal spacers are the only parts that come off when I remove the wheel - the black rubber seal stays in the hub, and I have never seen the larger, thin ring you show in your second pic.

In your first pic, the rubber seal on the hub looks rather chowdered up - I wonder, is it damaged, and that metal ring in the second pic is part of that seal?

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:01:19 pm
The metal ring I show is odd. It looks like the dust seal for a bearing, and has what looks like a bearing code stamped on it. But it doesn't seem to fit the rubber gasket on the hub at all. Looks like you have some sort of metal washer between your hub spacer and the rubber gasket on your hub, is that true? This, I think, is what I am missing.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:27:31 pm
When I tighten the castle nut, it does not get "tight", but the wheel will cease to move if I continue tightening. Is that okay? It wont work itself out of the dropout or slide forward and affect chain tension, etc?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:46:29 pm
No, it is not good! There's some spacer missing in there that should keep the bearings from locking up.
There is a spacer inside the wheel that keeps the wheel bearings the right distance apart. It looks like there's one in there, but it's hard to tell in the pic. I don't have an Enfield wheel here any more so I can't look at mine, but there is some definitely amiss in yours.
Sorry I couldn't give you more help, but it's not a fault of the snails.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:54:31 pm
The hitchcocks diagram doesn't give a good depiction of the non drive side of the hub, so I can't tell what exactly is missing.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:51:35 pm
The picture shows what it looks like. It is hard metal, not rubber. Easy to lose it when taking out the wheel.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:54:33 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:42 pm
The picture shows what it looks like. It is hard metal, not rubber. Easy to lose it when taking out the wheel.

That's the flanged spacer I was talking about - it's really just plain unfinished metal on my bike, but I called it "silver" to help distinguish the color from the bigger black spacer in my pic.  The "some sort of metal washer between your hub spacer and the rubber gasket" you see is that spacer's wider flange; the narrower portion fits into the hub.

That Hitchcocks diagram is the same one I have from my B5 parts book - that spacer isn't shown in either of them...

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:38:40 pm
Yes! That's what I need.... Crap. How am I going to order that?!? PMing Kevin.......

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 11:49:16 pm
You should get & install a new seal too. Hitchcocks sells the big spacer & the small one your missing in chrome. Im sure you can get them from Enfield too .They look exactly like the ones in my 07 Iron barrel. Here is the link to the part at Enfield its .75 cents. http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/chrome-spacer-small.html

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:52:40 pm
Stick your finger into the hole till its in the bearing inner race & turn it to see if it turns free and isn't rough, if it is rough or hard to turn replace it too.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 01:39:21 am
Shipping is $16?!? Gonna have to call, there has to be a better shipping cost than that.

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:35 am
The hitchcocks diagram doesn't give a good depiction of the non drive side of the hub, so I can't tell what exactly is missing.

No help with a part number but the owners manual does show and mention the spacer & collar.  See attached:
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 02:24:23 pm
Thanks, all for the help in identifying what I was missing! Turns out, it was buried in the bottom of my saddlebag from when I put the axle parts in there during it's unplanned overnight by the river. All is back in place, and working as it ought. I need to get a new rubber dust seal for that side bearing, but it's back on the road.