Author Topic: Bullet Turn Signals  (Read 6967 times)

Ahiman Rezon

• Scooter
  • 2000 Bullet
on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:33 am
I've been wanting to get the beehive tail light and bullet turn signals.  I feel the factory lighting detracts from the look of the bike, but I want to maintain visability in traffic.  My question is, "Are they bright enough?"  The fact that they are not DOT approved is really what bothers me.  Can I get some opinions?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:33:44 am
the back end of my Electra is buTT uGLy..  I've  been thinking about the smaller turn signals and do away with that chuck of metal in the back that holds the license plate..  and hides the whole back end of the bike..  looking at catalogs..  seen some things here that might work..  faLL projects..  heat index today was 107 in Kentucky... need smaller stoplight but brighter

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:54 am
Ahiman

The attached picture shows the tiny turn signal assemblies that I installed on my bullet.  The rub was that it was necessary to change the flasher because the original bulbs [in the original big turnsignals] were only 5 watt.  The tiny turnsignals shown are 21 watt, so the stock flasher will not work.  Easy enough to fix, just go to an auto parts store and ask for a flasher that sences load.  They are used on autos when a trailer is being towed, with it's added lights, upset the stock system.  As for DOT approved.  Are you worried that they may break down your door in the middle of the night?  I'm not, and in any case the way to get smacked is for an idiot to make a left turn in front of you.  The size of your amber lights ain't gonna make any difference in your safety.   I rarely use turn signals when riding a motorcycle, just hand signals.  As I have bikes that don't require turnsignals I don't use them on bikes that are of later vintage and the law says they must be equipped with them.       
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:56 am
the back end of my Electra is buTT uGLy..  I've  been thinking about the smaller turn signals and do away with that chuck of metal in the back that holds the license plate..  and hides the whole back end of the bike..  looking at catalogs..  seen some things here that might work..  faLL projects..  heat index today was 107 in Kentucky... need smaller stoplight but brighter

scotty
The picture shows what I did to the tail light assembly on my Bullet.  To get the plastic lens from pointing up in the air the base that attaches to the fender had a big wedge chopped out of it so that the angle of the lens was depressed closer to horizontal.  Also the bigger than necessary "chunk of metal" that holds the license plate had a strip about two inches wide cut out of it.  It was also welded back together and repainted with a rattle can.  Took a little sanding and some body putty, but ya can't see the rework.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:25 am
I used the "Hella" type barend turn signals from Domi Racer. They are a little pricey but look great and are very bright. I had to swap out the flasher unit for one a little more sensitive because the stock unit could not detect draw from my single bulb in the circuit.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:22:35 pm

Ahiman Rezon

• Scooter
  • 2000 Bullet
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:21:49 pm
Thanks for the responses.  I was concerned about DOT just for my state inspection.
I've heard some shops are anal about modifications.

Adam Gamradt

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:26 pm
Can you post a part number or name of those NAPA signals?

My tail light housing fell off and I'm replacing it with a Tombstone.  I haven't figured out what to use for rear signals, but those are pretty sweet.

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:00:02 pm
Napa # for amber is  LIT 1001AD
Red is LIT 1001D

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:25:24 pm
I used the "Hella" type barend turn signals from Domi Racer. They are a little pricey but look great and are very bright. I had to swap out the flasher unit for one a little more sensitive because the stock unit could not detect draw from my single bulb in the circuit.

-Jesse
Those are neat!  Where did you get the flasher unit?
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:05:06 am
Meilaushi,

The flasher unit is simply an automotive one I picked up at a chain outlet. It's metal cased, cylindrical and I held it in place in the stock position with a piece of bicycle tubing.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Adam Gamradt

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:19:15 pm
I got the Tombstone installed, apart from a slight gap between the fender and light, everything went swell.  I figure I'll fill the gap with some liquid gasket.  I didn't want to over tighten the tombstone, since I'm not sure if it was pulling on plastic or metal inside the housing.  I certainly didn't want to break my new light on the first mod of my new bike.

Question for the board.  I went with the bullet shaped chrome turn signals, but have nothing to mount them too.  Any recommendations on mounting them?  A friend suggested clamp on style swing arms, but I'm new to this, and am not quite sure how to proceed.  I guess fabricating something custom is not out of the question, but if there's a solution available, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks much!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:49:28 am
Don't worry about DOT approval. A lot of smaller manufacturers don't have the funds to go through the DOT certification process so sell the item as "not DOT approved". They are just fine.
I doubt an inspection station would be too picky with a motorcycle.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:33 pm
Meilaushi,

The flasher unit is simply an automotive one I picked up at a chain outlet. It's metal cased, cylindrical and I held it in place in the stock position with a piece of bicycle tubing.

-Jesse

Thanks, Jess!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:15 am
I used these from NAPA

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(cwjw213ouacordmromc5mlyc))/Detail.aspx?A=GRO45022_0006497982&An=25063+59999+2999999+109999

I have amber in front and red in back. I also liked the price.
mounted same napa lights to bags with a ground wire to fender mount screw.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500