Author Topic: Disabling the auto-decompressor  (Read 4794 times)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:24 am

Hydraulic roller lifters, converted to solid rollers.  Adjustable push rods.

The thought of ditching those clattery hydraulic lifters appeals to me.  Could you tell us a bit more about how you converted to solid roller lifters and adjustable push rods?  Is this off-the-shelf stuff?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:32 am
Is this off-the-shelf stuff?

LOL!  Sooooooo not!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:41 am
LOL!  Sooooooo not!

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!   Too Funny.  You KNOW us!  ;) 

The thought of ditching those clattery hydraulic lifters appeals to me.  Could you tell us a bit more about how you converted to solid roller lifters and adjustable push rods?  Is this off-the-shelf stuff?

No......  Not off the shelf.    All the parts are Stock. Modified stock, or readily available.   The Rods, I must confess we did not make.... I treated myself and had them made to length. From Smith Bros. In Oregon.  Very very reasonably priced and good Chromoly Rods.  The Lifter is a simple mater of machining a aluminum slug if you will. And removing the piston, spring, disk and tossing that weak wire retainer.  Reusing the lifter cup and using a heavier snap ring , in place of the wire retainer.    I did this for consistency, not noise. As the stock hydraulics are not up to the task.... Although it does sounds about the same.   Different high dollar Hydraulics might have worked ?    But , thank you no.  I like the consistency and predictability of solid. 

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 02:47:42 am
  Am I running HIGHER then stock compression ?!  :o   Come on man, you know I am .  ;)    Combustion chamber, head work, cams , Avl piston etc ....  And I ride and E start that thing every day, weather permitting of course.  Over a year on the upgraded sprag.... Hell the weaker designed  first spag lasted three years !    No..  I'm not concerned with the spag.  Personally, I'd be more concerned about the potential problems in the top end and valve train that could arise with that de-comp design..  But that's just my personal view now. I Just don't like it .    Keep your battery charged, Your idle up, your bike well tuned....  Goes a long way to prolonging that sprag.   THESE are good sprags !   You guys ever deal with the spags on a old Honda twin ?!   Gawd!!......
the way I dealt with it saw to kick start the damn things!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 02:50:24 am
I seem to becoming cisxelydsd!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet