Author Topic: tanks  (Read 5697 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: September 16, 2014, 05:04:04 pm
searching for a good cafe style tank anyone have an extra id like to save myself the 1000USD hitchcocks wants for one of theirs

Serveta

• Scooter
  • Mods,Rockers and Hooligans...
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:30:33 am
To save cash, I'd go to a salvage yard for a tank. Just figure how you want to bolt it up, measure your main tube, hieght , length and were you want your seat and tank to meet.you could even do a cardboard cut out of your height and length to match up to tanks till you find one you like.. I like the old BMW,Norton.and the Hodaka tanks.. If you want shiny , maybe a old Hodaka ( 60/ 70's) thank would be the way the go . The tank has a endent for the hodaka emblem, but you could always made a round R.E. Decal to fit in it. To bolt a tank up you have a few options the stock Nfield circle up front are thru holes on the frame, straight bolt thru the frame is a option, in the rear above carb are mounts , I made L brackets there for my tank and they are pretty well hidden still..you your imagiation for your design.. Another tank for shiny ness is a old husqvarna tank, just woould have to stripe the paint off, their all chrome under paint, a 1978 tank from a 390OR would be a good choice if it fits the tube length, their a bit longer and narrow. Remember you can always put rubber down on your tube to change the angle of the tank too.. Both the husqvarna and hodaka tanks have long tanks up front so you could do thru from bolt on the stock mounts.
  I have the cafe kit on mine, and the tank gets warm( AZ Sun), and always have to polish it.. For 1300 I'm not doing a do over..I already replaced the solo seat and made the Airtech seat, set up for dual riders. I Had to add to the seat pan and do a bunch of glass work but it came out good..it's perfect set up for my wife and I .. Keeps her close and she can't slide off the back still.. LoL
  Sorry for rambling.. Hope you find the tank you desire, there's plenty out there pretty cheap..

Jason

P.S. Here is a picture of my  one L bracket at the back of the tank, the rubber him met I got at autozone and knocked the brass sleeve out of it to give the tank some padding..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:38:11 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Serveta

• Scooter
  • Mods,Rockers and Hooligans...
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:38:53 am
I like the knee cut out on those, mines a bit less and you're right on the price..

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:50:46 am
Im scared theyre to sub par id hate to shell out 300 and ave the tank not be symmetrical but ive been looking at those same ones for a while

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:14 am
I been looking as well at those tanks.  I want to dress the bike up differently, and was thinking about keeping the tank raw initially (polished to a point) w/ a custom bench seat and see what i thought...  8)

if one of us do it, be sure to share!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:34:42 am by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:18:31 am
Honestly, if I had been paid out another $250 on my insurance claim I would have ordered the primered tank.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 01:57:19 pm
Armando - Posted some stuff on your FB. Check when you have time.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:21 pm
The mounting tabs look awfully thin to me.
Note to some. These tanks aren't suitable for EFI bikes!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:13 pm
I did wonder about mentioning these tanks on ebay. While I have had a good chrome deluxe tank for one of mine from India, you would probably do best to get a cafe racer tank in raw steel, not so much for the look, rather so that you can get it tested for leaks and if needed repaired more easily, as well as any rectifying any small problems with (e.g.) mounting holes not quite lining up or other minor repairs. Remember if you get a cheaper one you can afford to spend a few $$$ making sure it is sound and fits easily, before letting your local custom paint shop loose on it. Obviously in case of anything majorly wrong, you can still send it back for a refund.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:11:33 pm
Although not a proper cafe tank, this alloy trials tank with the right cafe seat would do the job pretty good. Priced right too.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/trials-polished-alloy-tank.html

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 02:34:42 am
Amazingly they do a good job on the Indian tanks as far as fit and looks go  but everyone I've gotten leak.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:40:56 am
Both Hitchcock and I have tried for years to get a decent alloy tank from India. It has never happened and it never will. It you do happen to find one somewhere line it would be a first.
I would steer away from chrome tanks from India unless...... you are OK with wavy chrome. It comes from the polishing process. Sometimes it is not too bad, other times....
The trials tank comes from the UK. They were about $300 when I first started selling them 16 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:06:32 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 08:48:46 am
where are the tanks on nfeild gear made? like the continental or cafe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 04:08:08 pm
If you give me some links (feeling lazy this Saturday (want to get to my Ham Radio shack and make room for a new radio  ;D) I will tell you where they are made. In general price will tell the story
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com