Author Topic: Low Fuel Light  (Read 3895 times)

noontime

• Scooter
on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:44 pm
Ok...so my blinker indicator stopped working and shortly after the dang low fuel light went out too.  Not a big deal except I didn't realize it had gone until I was stranded on the side of the road at midnight. 
So how do you get at the dang low fuel light bulb is my question...I've got the cluster out, but can't seem to get the bulbs out without damaging the cluster. Do I pop the face place off or does it come out the backside and I just need to try harder?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:46 am
Royal Enfield is always changing things so it might help to tell us what year yours is.

That said, my 2011 uses rubber sleeves to hold the light socket in place.
Just grabbing the sleeve (not the wires) and pulling it off removes the socket giving access to the light bulbs.

My fuel level indicator died within a few months of my buying the brand new bike.
Over the years, Royal Enfield has had some problems with the sending unit dying.

The float on mine totally dissolved and I decided not to bother replacing it (even though it was covered by the new motorcycle warranty).  I never did like the damn light winking at me when there was still over 2 gallons of fuel in the tank.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:04:53 am
Usually when the sending unit dies the light stays lit all the time, so in your case it's best to check the bulb first.

Scott

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:12:32 am
Well dang >:(....mine is a 2011 as well but it doesn't look like those particular lights use the rubber sleeve.

Here are some pics.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:21 am
noontime - doesn't your second pic show the "rubber" sleeves Arizoni was talking about?

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:25 pm
Well that is what I was trying to show in that picture, one with the rubber on and one with the rubber off.  After pulling the covering down there are wires connected directly to the base of the unit...and I can't get that out of the housing.  Maybe I'm being a ding bat here and if so, how then do you remove the bulb from the housing? Thoughts?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:55:45 pm
RE calls that unit that holds the three lights the MIL unit.  So: each of the three bulbs fits into a metal housing.  Each metal housing fits into a hard plastic "socket" in the back of the MIL unit.  The "rubber" sleeves fit over those.

In your second photo, the light on the right has everything installed in place.  The light on the left has the "rubber" sleeve removed, revealing the plastic socket and the base of the metal housing which holds the bulb.  The base of the metal housing has a flared edge, kind of like the end of a bullet casing - you can see that flared edge butting against the plastic sleeve.  The metal housing pulls out of the plastic sleeve.

You could use a screw-driver under the flared edge to pry the metal housing out, moving to different sides of the housing to work it out evenly; if the MIL unit is already out of the nacelle, better to grab the flared edge with some pliers and pull it straight out, maybe apply some rotational action as you remove it if it's an exceptionally tight fit, which mine was.  I wouldn't pull on the wires.

I broke my MIL unit trying to figure it out when I changed the lights to LEDs -  check out this post:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10412.msg172433.html#msg172433

I think the newer bikes use different bulbs, so the housings may look and/or work differently...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:49 pm
As Matt has said these metal sockets with bulb inside can be gently pulled / wiggled out of the housing, by holding the edge of metal socket.

Do NOT pull wires, they are barely soldered to metal socket and break easily.

The bayonet shaped bulbs can be pushed down & twisted to take them out.

Pictures are from my 2009 G5.  Recent models may look different.     
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:43:29 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:20:21 pm
As we can see in Singhg5's pic, the '09 models have different fixtures than our 2011's.  Newer bikes are probably different as well...