Author Topic: 2006 Electra running issues  (Read 12227 times)

Serveta

• Scooter
  • Mods,Rockers and Hooligans...
on: September 13, 2014, 11:38:11 pm
New here 1st post.. I my bike only has 1200 miles on it and it started running bad..it will start and idle fine, you can give it gas and will run fine, but while riding it, it cuts out if you get on it,almost like it's starving of gas , or while just cruising it starts to cut out. This all started after a 50 mile run and heading back home..started to act like it was going to foul a plug. So I stopped and replaced it and it continued , I limped it home..
   I really need help or ideas on this.. This is what I've done with no fixes to the way it's running.
Rebuilt carb, cleaned tank and petcock, installed another plug BR8ES, checked fuel flow from tank 70CC per minute. I'm now starting to think maybe the coil is acting up and going out..thanks

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:16:26 am
I'd start at the easy things.  Since you check tank, petcock and carb (although you didn't say if you're running stock or have you modified it) ... i'd check for the following:

1.  Are the battery terminals and associated connectors ok?  I've had battery terminal connectors break, but the shrink tubing held it in place.
2.  Is all the rubber to and from the carb still good?  Check for leaks.
3.  Is you engine breather line clear or clogged up? Any oil in the air box?

Hope this helps. A pic and more details would be handy.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:58:27 pm
What type of ignition do you have on the bike?  Is it factory?  Are you absolutely positive that you rebuilt and put the carb back together correctly?  Put the needle back in the same position that it was in?

It could be a bad coil but you'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting.  Here's a recent post about replacement coils and testing.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,20322.0.html

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:01:50 pm
Float level too high?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 07:50:32 pm
Thanks for the advise ... I've checked connections , battery , and so fourth . I don't have a air box , but I checked the vent tubes and there's no major oil in them, just residue . I have a CDI system factory install. I know the carb is rebuilt correctly, I've rebuilt endless 2-stroke carbs..I have checked the flow rate for the float yet..I even check the fuel cap to make sure it's breathing out, checked for leaks all the way around the fuel system , rubber boot , lines..
The one thing I thought was strange is the air mixture screw is only back out 3/4 of a turn ,but this is what it was set at so I put it back the same .. I know my scooter and dirt bikes are all about 2 to 3 full turns
    More details on the issue.. It starts no problem, idles great.. Even on center stand cracking the throttle it runs and sounds good.. So when I take it out in the street, 1st gear thru 3rd changing gears are good, then when I slow down it starts it's cutting / back firing..and has died when I come to a stop. Starts right back up and off I go and it starts cutting out as I give it gas, jerking as if it wants to die..
 Even at a steady speed of 25 mph it will start cutting out, like turning the key on and off..
 It starts all of this once it's warm, when cold it doesn't seem to do it as much but that's only a few minutes, I live in AZ.. So the day it started I was the 1st time I took it to 75 mph  and longest distance of 50 miles .. Mostly was cruising at 65 and not holding it steady at that speed..that's when it started cutting out for a split second, enough to feel it.
  This is my 1st Enfield and I love it.. It's modified as minus the engine itself.. The pipe, carb, air filter were done at a Enfield dealer shop . It was re jetted for pipe and carb..this is the way I bought the bike and have all the documentation ..I ve put 400 miles on with no issues at all, And now this..

Thanks again for your help and advise..

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:58 pm
Carb float rate  is 135 CC per minute ..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:07 pm
Sounds like you have a broken battery terminal or some kind of short in the wiring.  Another possibility is an internal short inside the battery, I had that happen to me once and it actually stranded me 15 miles out in the country.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:25 pm
I don't think you mentioned the spark plug cap, if it's the original metal covered item from eight years ago it won't do any harm to bin it and replace with an NGK version, unsuppressed if you are using a resistor plug, with suppressor if you're using a straight B9ES or equivalent. I had a metal covered version cause running problems with an otherwise fine Honda single, once replaced with the NGK version all was well.

While you have been through and checked the fuel system, did you also check for a blocked gas tank filler cap breather? This has let me down on the Electra before now. Vacuum caused in tank, bike stops - WHAT? open tank to check for gas, this lets the air back in, gas flows nicely, gas tank filler cap back on and ride off, same thing happens again a few miles later until you work out what's happening.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:11 am
I know the carb is rebuilt correctly, I've rebuilt endless 2-stroke carbs..

The one thing I thought was strange is the air mixture screw is only back out 3/4 of a turn ,but this is what it was set at so I put it back the same .. I know my scooter and dirt bikes are all about 2 to 3 full turns

This is my 1st Enfield and I love it.. It's modified as minus the engine itself.. The pipe, carb, air filter were done at a Enfield dealer shop . It was re jetted for pipe and carb..this is the way I bought the bike

Thanks again for your help and advise..

3/4 turn out sounds funny.

What carburetor?  BS 29? If it's a BS 29, the mixture screw is a fuel screw not an air screw.

You say it was rejetted?  By who?  Dealer? If it's a BS 29 & idling good at 3/4 turn out, the Pilot Jet is too big.

Do you know what # Pilot jet is in it?

It shouldn't run well out on the road at 3/4 turn out on the mixture screw.

Is your plug black?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:50:14 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:22:52 am
I'm not sure on carb model, UCAL mikuni, has a #115 main in it, powersports Presscott did the work on it. The plug ( BR8ES) is pretty clean, electrod is a light white, with no build up.The 400 miles I've put on it have been inner city miles mostly..
   Thank you..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:58:12 am
If the plug is white your are running too lean.  It should be a cream/tan color at good tuning.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:26 am
If it's still te stock pilot, that's a 15 I believe. 3/4 is way LEAN. It's a mixture screw, clockwise is lean, turning out, ccw, richens it up. That screw will turn out up to six. Find out what that pilot is. My 15 with opened up air box and exhaust was way weak and it was horrible. I needed a 17.5.

Also, how do you support the carb is there is no air box? That India rubber manifold cannot support the carb.

Finally, you still have the PAV?  If so, check the small tube for leaks.

Spray wd40 while it's running on rubber and see if you get an idle increase.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 03:38:18 am
I've never heard of using WD40 for checking leaks but starting fluid, carb cleaner and brake cleaner work well too.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 02:59:30 pm
I've never heard of using WD40 for checking leaks but starting fluid, carb cleaner and brake cleaner work well too.

Practically ANYthing in a spray can will change the RPMs if there's a leak. I just wouldn't suggest paint  :) ;)

(Think of a world without paint  :) )
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 04:14:20 pm
A tiny crack in my carb's manifold and an exhaust leak gave me a bog on any throttle past half way on my AVL.  The carb crack was barely visible and I didn't notice it on several inspections.  The header leak was more obvious.

The battery terminals also gave me trouble at one time, causing it to intermittently cut out.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 07:28:07 pm
I sprayed down the intake boot , with carb cleaner, checked exhaust, you can't hear a leak either .battery terminals and connectors are good . I'm not sure the age if my battery butt I'm going to replace it, metal plug cap, have coil on order,be here in a week..so I'll do it all at the same time.
  The carb intake boot holds the carb and K&N filter fine and have had no issues with it. 2-stroke bikes are set up this way, my Husqvarna has never had a issue with this set up.
  Pilot jet size I'm not sure on but will pull it and check.
   I know it's running a bit lean and will adjust it once I get it running again.read that stick setting in manual is 3 half turns. 1 1/2 turns out and will start from there.
I really appreciate everyone's help and input on this !!!

GBBet

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:19:26 pm
Are you using the stock inlet rubber manifold? Had a couple split by the small tube on top causing severe weak mixture/stalling.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:54 pm
A man that doesn't take PRIDE in his work, Doesn't take PRIDE in himself..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:30:59 pm by Serveta »

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 11:27:11 pm
Here's my carb set up..

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 12:39:45 am
It may not have anything to do with it, and I may be wrong but the carburetor shown in the picture looks like one that's built to go on a overhead cam engine.

That is, it looks like it should be installed at an angle that would direct the airflow down into an engine at about a 15-20 degree angle.

I say this based on the split line where the fuel bowl meets the body of the carburetor.

Normally, this split line will be horizontal, or parallel with the ground.

Sometimes (often?) the attitude or angle the carb is mounted at can effect the float that controls the fuel shut off needle valve.  If the carburetor is installed at a wonky angle, the float might be shutting off the fuel (or allowing too much in) at the wrong level or angle for the jets to work properly.

Now I'll sit down and keep my mouth shut while I let others say, "Arizoni, as usual, your full of it.  The carburetor is mounted like it should be."   :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 01:26:41 am
@arizoni. It looks like the normal BS29 to me with the Indian rubber inlet.

@Serverta: I would richen up the pilot circuit. I found when I was running lean, the bike just didn't like anything beyond 2 or 3 gear.

Since this just happened I'm thinking something is either leaking air or is clogged up in the pilot circuit. Do you have a fuel filter in place?  Also, if you run it with the choke on, does that make a difference in running? 

One last thought... When you had the carb apart, is it possible you damaged the diagram at all or it's not seated correctly?

This could all be wrong and it's ignition coil or something else. I like simple and start where you last worked....

Ps... It's only a matter of time before that rubber fails. Make a hanger to support the carb.

P.p.s. ... I like where you repositioned the batt!  Got any picks showing the entire bike? ::)
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:17 am
I would definitely have a look at the diaphragm.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 01:17:11 pm
It may not have anything to do with it, and I may be wrong but the carburetor shown in the picture looks like one that's built to go on a overhead cam engine.

Now I'll sit down and keep my mouth shut while I let others say, "Arizoni, as usual, your full of it.  The carburetor is mounted like it should be."   :(

It's a stock factory BS 29 as mounted on the AVLs. It's exactly the same as mine was before I saw the light. That carb is built to starve the engine & pass emissions.

I think his pilot jet is too big (whatever # it is, which he doesn't know). Whether he'll go that way is another question. 3/4 turn out on the mixture screw is all the clue you need.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:11 pm
I thought that thumbnail pic of Serveta's carb looked a little odd until I realised it was upside down, fortunately it is right side up when you open up the picture properly.

In the wise words of tooseevee:

It's a stock factory BS 29 as mounted on the AVLs. It's exactly the same as mine was before I saw the light. That carb is built to starve the engine & pass emissions.

While several happy AVL owners have got the CV carb tuned and running sweetly, I'd be tempted to upgrade to a flatslide Mikuni of some description, there's plenty of set-up information for these on this forum.

Or maybe something like this:  ;D

Best regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 07:30:03 pm
DanB, here's the only other picture of my bike I have on my phone.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 08:29:40 pm
Cool.  Thanks.  Looking very good!
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:23 am
Those tires really grip!

A.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 03:08:41 am
There Avon tyres. There good tyres.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 05:00:06 pm
Serveta,
Did you pick up that bike from a guy in Arizona?  Looks like another members bike that he was selling this Spring, except for that seat cowl.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 05:43:28 pm
I agree with arizoni it is unusual for a slanted bowl carb to be upright. But it was running fine for a while. So if it only does it when hot I'm leaning toward a electrical/ignition problem. Have you checked the spark when its hot? . See if its weak or reddish orange. You may be right about it being the coil, or a bad electrical connection getting hot from resistance build up.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 07:13:35 pm
The last test run , I checked the plug and spark, spark had a orange tint, not should blue.. And that why I ordered a coil.. Should be here any day..I'm tired if staring at my bike.. I have my Lambretta but it's not the same, and I don't like putting a lot of miles on it..found it stored away in a garage for 30 yrs with inly 161 original miles on it..

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 04:09:20 am
Yes , its my experience a red or orange spark is a weak coil, or condenser if points are being used.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 12:47:01 pm
The Electra-X has TCI ignition, though a duff coil is bad news on any bike. As with Greenie's bike and its regulator/rectifier failure, the AVL models are all a few years old, and I would expect at least some of the components not to last so well now.

Regards,

A.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 01:07:06 am
Ok, so my new coil came in the mail yesterday.. Installed it this after noon.. Runs a lot better than it did .. The spark is a solid blue,no more red/orange..

But the re's still a hiccup in it when you when you let off and then get back on it.. It jerks abit, sight bog down, then it's fine..
Any ideas ?

I did find my exhaust nuts loose when I was removing old coil, tighten  them up  too , so I went over the whole bike and didn't find any more loose but/bolts.

The very tip of my tail pipe is discolored ( light brown)what does this indicate ?

Thanks jason

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 01:54:09 am
That sounds like part of the fun of having a carburetor to me.

You can either live with it or try frinkling around with the jets and the needle settings.

If it were mine, I'd probably live with it unless it was stalling out to the point that it was dangerous to ride.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 02:04:35 am
A CV carb is slow to respond.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 09:24:34 am
Well you fixed one problem anyway. You should save your money towards a larger slide type carb & trash the CV smog carb. When you do you will see a good performance increase. BTW You have a nice looking bike. Love the alloy tank ;D

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:59 pm
This sounds like my experience.  I have an Electra X I got new in 2006.

Check the things the other guys say, then:

1.)  Check the battery connections.  Then check them again.  On a trip back from St. Louis I kept having the problems you describe.  Then, late at night, almost dark, and during frantic cell calls from my wife (never helps) I found it.  The battery is in series with __everything__ in this bike, and a bad connection kills everything.
2.)  Check the connector that connects the ignition switch to the wire harness in the headlight nacelle.    Don't just look at it.  It is made so that it can look like it is plugged in, but electrically it is not connecting.  You can get to it just by standing on the left side of the bike and looking under the handlebar.  After I found it (just by chance) I kept using electrical contact cleaner, but then ultimately changed it with connectors from an auto store.
3.)  Next, check the kickstand safety switch, to include the connector in back of the transmission up under the seat.  Don't just look or tug on it.  The problems I describe in #1 apply here, too.  The only way I found this was to jumper (and then solder) the two wires at the point _after_ the connector.
4.)  Finally, make sure the ignition cut-out switch on the handlebar is okay.  This was a real pain.  I had to use an oscilloscope and a helper (to keep rocking the switch back and forth) to find this.

Good luck.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 03:52:31 am
Are you saying it did not have this "bog" before the coil went bad? . Did you re-jet your carb for the pod filter?, is the exhaust stock or a high flow type?. Have you done any plug readings? .

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 06:40:32 pm
Yeah, I didn't have the big before, it was rejected for the pod and have a high flow exhaust. I have done any plug readings..
   If I was gonna get a new carb for it what would you recommend ? Size , model ?
    I'm gonna recheck all wiring contentions as KB8ANY recomonded and I'm not sure on the age of my battery , so I'm gonna replace it.

Thanks jason

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 06:56:29 pm
mikuni tm 32

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 07:01:25 pm
Is the tm 32 a direct bolt on ?  Do you see a big improvement over the CV carb ?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 08:35:27 pm
For the most part. Need different intake manifold, jets and throttle cables. Scroll down in this forum a bit and there's a long string on the tm32. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17648.0.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:37:12 pm by DanB »
2006 AVL Electra

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: October 11, 2014, 07:02:22 pm
Ok.. So I think I'm done.. Just took for short test ride and no bogging..Gonna finish putting her back together and time for a longer ride..
   I put new battery in her, disassemble carb completely, clean it, went thru all wiring connections..rechecked bolts, sprayed down carb, intake, exhaust areas for leaks..
    I appreciate everyone's help and input ! This has been a long road since life's busy and only staring at her not having time to work on it.. I've had the Lambretta, but it's not the same..

Thanks everyone !!!

Jason

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 08:43:16 pm
She is fixed and on the road again !! 35 mile ride and no issues at low or high speeds, throttle response back to normal !!

Thanks everyone !!!

Jason

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 09:54:46 pm
Excellent news. Nice job. It's a good feeling to get things sorted.
2006 AVL Electra