Author Topic: Neutral indi light useless as tits on a bull in sunlight  (Read 5447 times)

erob123

• Bulleteer
Like I said it don't do me no good. I have to keep letting the clutch out to know if I'm in neutral.  I'm gettin better at gettin in to neutral at the lights and stops.  But damn click, klunk, click, klunk, in and out.
Oh, whats the switch just below kill switch on right handle and above e-start switch?  I click it and don't do nothing.  Owner's maual don't even mention.  From the symbols it seems to on/off/lights/parking light switch.  Huh? did I say parking?
Anybody got suggest for pannier latches?  Houston has got some bumpy roads, or aleast I find the worst bumps.  hit a bump latch comes undone and next bump top flys up.  I was thinking little plastic key chain latches.  Of course you see everywhere untill you need one.
The real old timers really love tocome up and talk about my military.  With everybody, its "What year is it?".  Love it.  Thanks, Eric

geoffbaker

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:48:59 pm
replace neutral light (and other lights) with 6led lamps (BA9/BA7).. plenty of light from those.

panniers? try some cheap mini carabiners.

Yep, the mil gets a great response.

Cant help with switches, my military is 2000 kickstart. Don't have that switch.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:35 pm
I replaced mine with a blue superbrite led, add a 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in line.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:18:25 pm
That is a light switch.  Since the headlight is hardwired to come on when the bike starts it doesn't function.  There is a easy way to make it work by removing a jumper wire in the headlight circut.  That information is posted somewhere on here but don't know where.  Maybe you will run into it as you read the back posts or someone will help you out if you are interested to activating the switch.

Oh, whats the switch just below kill switch on right handle and above e-start switch?  I click it and don't do nothing.  Owner's maual don't even mention.  From the symbols it seems to on/off/lights/parking light switch.  Huh? did I say parking?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:15:31 pm
Guys thanks!  The search did the job no back reading required I use it all the time when somebody mentions previous post.  Took a couple of minutes to find.  Went back to post even had pics.  Love this forum.

1)  Remove headlight from bike.

2)  Locate wire harness I am pointing at in before photo.

3)  unplug said harness which has white connectors from red and green connectors.

4)  Plug red and green connectors together without the small jumper left in my hand as show in after photo.

5)  Replace headlight and you now have a functional headlight switch and headlights you can turn on and off.

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:18 pm
I have no neutral light. Neutral finds easyly. I can see the other lights only in close night  ;D
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES
-------------------------------

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:00 am
Guys thanks!  The search did the job no back reading required I use it all the time when somebody mentions previous post.  Took a couple of minutes to find.  Went back to post even had pics.  Love this forum.
1)  Remove headlight from bike.
2)  Locate wire harness I am pointing at in before photo.
3)  unplug said harness which has white connectors from red and green connectors.
4)  Plug red and green connectors together without the small jumper left in my hand as show in after photo.
5)  Replace headlight and you now have a functional headlight switch and headlights you can turn on and off.

Hey it's even easier than above.
      *** try this...
trace the wires out of the switch to under the Right side of headlamp...
turn handle bars to left...
gently pull wires out the bottom till you get to a square connector and unplug...
draw out another 3 or 4 inches to the next connector and unplug...
throw short pigtail over your shoulder and reconnect 2 remaining connectors...
tuck wires back up into headlamp area...
Now you have a working head light and park light switch when the motor is running.
                   - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:52 am
I used Baird's method!  Great to be able to start the bike with all the lights off!
Fir Na Dli

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:35:17 am
You know I wish the 5 speed had the neutral finder that the older 4 speed bikes I think that would be nice to have.  As I agree the neutral light on any bike seems near useless if the transmission wants to be clunky going into neutral.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:44:46 pm
Its a killer to put a wrench or even a screw driver to something brand new.  But I got over that mountain. It was too easy thanks to all, unscrew, unplug, plug, screw.  Next fixing to change out indi lite bulbs to leds.   Eric

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:41:53 pm
geoff,
Do you have a breakdown of which lights you put where?  Also, you said 6led Ba9, I can only seem to find either wide angle or 4 led "superbright" bulbs?  I would verymuch like to convert to LED's!  After one of my co-workers got rear ended while stopped at an intersection on his BMW last week I am also considering changing the brake light to the panel of LED's that "flicker or strobe" when the brake is applied. 
Fir Na Dli

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:49:34 pm
Haven't done anything yet, still have to locate leds.  That was geoffbaker that said something about BA9.   I was going to Fry Elect to see what the've got.  I going to try BA9/BA7 first then go to 150watt w/resisitor next.  Haven't opened up speedo to beable to get to see what connects.  Not good at electricity it bites.  I have a elec wiz here at work that can give me some clues also.  will let you know.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:51 pm
You know I wish the 5 speed had the neutral finder that the older 4 speed bikes I think that would be nice to have.  As I agree the neutral light on any bike seems near useless if the transmission wants to be clunky going into neutral.

The 4 speed neutral finder caused more problems with any bike it was utilized - feel lucky just learning the drill to find neutral on it's own.

Mechanical neutral finder transmission problems usually didn't even allow limp back to home.  Stuck on the side of the road with a locked up transmission.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

DireWolf

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 07:08:41 pm
My neutral light crapped out.  I don't miss it.

Don't depend on it or trust it, anyway.  It'll lie to you.  Or catch a glare & you'll let go of the clutch & see if your Bullett can wheelie.

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:38 am
My neutral light crapped out.  I don't miss it.

Don't depend on it or trust it, anyway.  It'll lie to you.  Or catch a glare & you'll let go of the clutch & see if your Bullett can wheelie.

I removed the wire from the back of the trans and taped it up in the loom.  On less thing to get ripped off by a passing stick.  Figger if I can't find neutral, looking down at the instrument cluster probably won't be too helpful.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

geoffbaker

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 10:48:11 pm
geoff,
Do you have a breakdown of which lights you put where?  Also, you said 6led Ba9, I can only seem to find either wide angle or 4 led "superbright" bulbs?  I would verymuch like to convert to LED's!  After one of my co-workers got rear ended while stopped at an intersection on his BMW last week I am also considering changing the brake light to the panel of LED's that "flicker or strobe" when the brake is applied. 

sqf, do a search on the forum for LED. You'll find extensive threads where I discuss the bulb arrays I made and which I used. I also bought a "light bar" for the rear to increase visibility, from www.customdynamics.com. You'll need to switch to a digital flasher unit as well. You can get everything from www.superbrightleds.com

Let me know if you need more info.