Author Topic: replaced swing arm and bushes day.  (Read 9372 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 03:11:23 am
Bad news. Lock up has reared its ugly head again. 180 pounds.

:( Man...what the hell is happening  :-\

What is that behind the 19mm brake anchor nut? That washer thing seems to be huge. It appears that the anchor nut is partially secured, or it came out that much with the force of the lock-up?

And how much was the brake rod adjuster nut tightened? Did you give about 20-25mm play in the brake pedal?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:13:16 am
Sorry to hear the brake problem is still haunting the bike.

By the way, your chain looks dryer than a popcorn fart.  Is there any lube on the chain at all?

While I'm pickin' at things, the chain also looks like it is stretched tighter than a rubber band stretched over a rain barrel.  The motorcycle appears to be up on the center stand and if it is, that chain should be sagging on both the upper and lower runs at least 1/2 inch (12.7mm). 

If the motorcycle is on the center stand you should be able to move the upper run of chain over 1 1/2 inches (total) with just finger pressure.

As JVS says, if you don't have at least 3/4 inch (19mm) of movement of the foot brake lever while the motorcycle is on the center stand, that is very likely the reason for the brake lock up.

When the motorcycle is resting on the ground with you in the saddle, the chain and the rear brake lever will both become much tighter.
The reason for this is the swing arm pivots from a point that is behind the transmission output sprocket and the brake lever pivot.
This causes the entire rear wheel and brake assembly to get further away from the engine and the brake  pedal pivot pin.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:03:42 am
Thanks guys. Chain is covered in lube and totally fine. Def too
tight.brake pedal had the right amoint of play. Loosen off now. Gonna re adjust chain etc tonight. Test it. failing that its gotta be inside hub. Either put together wrong by me or wro g part size. You know im.buying genuine re parts from hitchcocks. Alot of it are different sizes and shapes to . what im.replacing.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:41:48 am
price on parts wasn't too bad.......actually not much more than the saddle bags i bought off them. so the deal appears good now its just a matter of solving the problem.
pity you don't know some-one who used to work on old motorbikes who could help. what about those old blokes on the aussie enfield site.
some must live in your location and you might be able to get a second opinion with no cash outlay.......like st peters!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 06:16:48 pm
What is that behind the 19mm brake anchor nut? That washer thing seems to be huge. It appears that the anchor nut is partially secured, or it came out that much with the force of the lock-up?

Yeah, that looks odd.  Mine has a thin washer behind it but the studs protrudes past the nut.  Yours does not.  Is the piece on the back flush up against the swingarm?

Great pic of what I'd expect it to look like here:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/efi-classic-silencer.html
Just check the close up of the muffler and you can see the anchor nut nicely.  And that's a nice little muffler for the price :)

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 07:46:36 pm
  If you haven't already Steve, a cotter pin through the axle and castle nut.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:46 pm
Isn't there supposed to be a little arrow device that indicates if the drum is set up in the proper tension range? You can see it in the link that Ducati Scotty posted. I also haven't see the two-nut setup on the brake arm linkage like that, which I assume was done to keep it from unwinding itself. Now that the swingarm is replaced, maybe the linkage should be put back to OEM spec, to see if it works properly? Just guessing here, I am a n00b.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 12:35:04 am
price on parts wasn't too bad.......actually not much more than the saddle bags i bought off them. so the deal appears good now its just a matter of solving the problem.
pity you don't know some-one who used to work on old motorbikes who could help. what about those old blokes on the aussie enfield site.
some must live in your location and you might be able to get a second opinion with no cash outlay.......like st peters!

I do know someone to take a look and someone already has. their conclusion was that the drum(sprocket ) isnt perfectly round. I cant help but feel that in the case of this bike, theres few and possibly only RE experts that really know. The thing with this problem, is that ive had it working properly for 2 months, only for it to appear again.
THe parts from hitchcocks are great, come quickly, and arent bad value. Only thing is some hidden surprises sometimes. The new swing arm is 1cm wider so in order for it to fit you need to cut the outer of the plastic bushes - or replace like i did with the steel ones that go right inside. Very often it isnt as simple as buying the part and whacking it on. Some adjusting, modification is required! I bought some disc pads and they were so fat, that the front wheel couldnt turn. Even with the pistons fully retracted.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:30 am
Isn't there supposed to be a little arrow device that indicates if the drum is set up in the proper tension range? You can see it in the link that Ducati Scotty posted. I also haven't see the two-nut setup on the brake arm linkage like that, which I assume was done to keep it from unwinding itself. Now that the swingarm is replaced, maybe the linkage should be put back to OEM spec, to see if it works properly? Just guessing here, I am a n00b.

Yes there is supposed to be a little arrow device, however the new cam bolt bought didnt accomodate this, thus couldnt use it. Im not 100% sure, but i dont think thats really needed. I have my back wheel off enough to know the condition of the pads! and they are still good seeing as i havent really been able to use them for nearly a year!
the brake arm linkage was set up like that and working well when i bought the bike. I bought a new cam bolt, much shorter than this one but the thread was different. Some bikes seem to have the shorter cam bolt - therefore one nut only.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:31 am
  If you haven't already Steve, a cotter pin through the axle and castle nut.....

Will do...im a bloody corner cutter....i need to fix that...

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:16 am
Yeah, that looks odd.  Mine has a thin washer behind it but the studs protrudes past the nut.  Yours does not.  Is the piece on the back flush up against the swingarm?

Great pic of what I'd expect it to look like here:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/efi-classic-silencer.html
Just check the close up of the muffler and you can see the anchor nut nicely.  And that's a nice little muffler for the price :)

Scott

initially when the lock ups started, the slot on the swingarm became so wide that most washers wouldnt fit over the gap. because i had a spare big nut - you know the one that goes inside the plate between the brake plate and SA plate. I decided to use this for extra pull. Because with the old swing arm, not only did it need to be secured, but it also needed to be rotated forward because the slot was 2cm wide. ANYWAY! ive done away with that nut and replaced with a washer. loosened the chain, backed the pedal off. Rode pretty far last night after that and all seems well. I did get little minor grabs though. ive got about 30mm of toe down to be safe. Keep in mind fellas ive tried alot of things. Ive had the brake pedal so loosened off it wasnt a toe down but a heel down. Ive had the chain set right except for 1 day a few days ago. If it happens again i will take the bike to a RE expert. Theres all new parts now so wait time and expense should be alot less.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 12:53:29 am
Thanks heaps you guys for your input. it really helps alot. im going for a ride now across town(after i put a cotter pin in) and see how we go!
Bike is going very well though!

(i have no idea why my pix are coming upside down. there not like this on the computer and even when i rotate them upside down on the computer they still come upside down...)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:57:22 am by Sectorsteve »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:55 am
My mechanic has seen at least one RE drum out of round, and several for Stella scooters, another little Indian made moto.

Take the drum to a machine shop.  Even with the bearing installed they should be able to measure it.

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:16 am
My mechanic has seen at least one RE drum out of round, and several for Stella scooters, another little Indian made moto.

Take the drum to a machine shop.  Even with the bearing installed they should be able to measure it.

Scott

Mate i will. Ive got a guy keen to do it who said to bring it in. he rebuilds any old bikes. mostly british. When i went to his shop we spun the wheel around and lightly applied the brake. you can hear it connecting on sections of the rotation...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:00:20 am by Sectorsteve »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 01:03:07 am
Interesting.  If you're lucky and the center is cut to the center of the sprocket, then you might even be able to simply recut the drum and have it all centered.  Good luck :)  Again :(