Author Topic: Gear Recommendation/Review  (Read 2323 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: September 06, 2014, 03:57:14 pm
Alright fellow bulleteers, have a question for ya.  Has anyone tried either of the blacked out silencers from Nfield gear and can report on them?  Either the megaphone or sports silencer?  I'm looking to possibly upgrade my stock as it has begun to discolour near the back wheel.  I'm not looking for a huge power boost, but would like a nice sound and something that might be compatible with the new PC V being offered.

As a side note, a review on the new canvas front fork bag:  I really like it and it has thus far withstood nearly 1000 miles without incident.  It isn't terribly waterproof if that is a concern, but it fits on very nicely to the front.  Well worth the money, especially for all youse with a military style C5
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:33:18 pm
As a side note, a review on the new canvas front fork bag:  I really like it and it has thus far withstood nearly 1000 miles without incident.  It isn't terribly waterproof if that is a concern, but it fits on very nicely to the front.  Well worth the money, especially for all youse with a military style C5

Do you have a pic or two you could post?  I looked at one of those at a dealer, and I couldn't figure out how it might attach!

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:24 pm
I don't at the moment, but I'm sure I can rustle something up. 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:51:38 pm
Nfield gear has a photo, but it's head-on and doesn't show the mounting...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:44:57 pm
Alright fellow bulleteers, have a question for ya.  Has anyone tried either of the blacked out silencers from Nfield gear and can report on them?  Either the megaphone or sports silencer?  I'm looking to possibly upgrade my stock as it has begun to discolour near the back wheel.  I'm not looking for a huge power boost, but would like a nice sound and something that might be compatible with the new PC V being offered.

From an opinionated old crabby guy who frequently disagrees...
Look at mufflers on Ebay, my much loved NOS 1960's British made upturned Cocktail Shaker was purchased there for under $80. NO NEED TO SPEND A FORTUNE. I have noticed no end of OVERPRICED gear out there. You only need shop around for a better deal - do your homework on what you want to accomplish & what's needed to do it.
  I never liked Fork Bags, they usually tend to wear the finish off something. I do like bolt on tin toolboxes, as they stay put. You can find one in a bike graveyard, paint & modify to fit.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:28:33 am
I have a black Emgo reverse cone being delivered tomorrow. I picked it up on amazon for around $60, plus shipping. I've heard good things about them. High on Octane, and a few others, have Emgo mufflers and recommended them. I should be putting it on Tuesday. I'll update shortly after on how it is. I'm not expecting much in gains, just sound and aesthetics.
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:33:19 am
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:53:49 pm
Let me say that all of our exhausts our complete bolt on solutions.  This means we (I) source or have made the proper brackets, adapters, clamps and heat shields.  We only use the highest quality parts when we do this (most are actually made in the USA) and that does not come to us without a price.

Can you find stuff cheaper? Yes, but will it be cheaper once you have to buy all the parts to put it on?  Maybe, but it's not going to be by much if any. Plus if your really thrifty, you can always just wait until we have a deal of some sort and save a couple of bucks that way.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:32 pm
Ok, as far as the mounting for the fork bag, it really is fairly self-explanatory once you get it (even I can do it).  It mounts just under the headlight and the straps wrap all the way around the little piece just under that (where it says Royal Enfield).  I don't have a way to get pictures right now, but trust me you'll get it once you see it. 

As far as aftermarket solutions, I prefer to go with our host for several reasons over E-bay.  1: I know what I'm getting, 2: I know they fit (I'm not in a position to modify anything myself.)  3: I want to support the network that continues to bring us our nifty bikes.  So, while I know that I could source something cheaper I think I'll stick with either an Nfield system or possibly D&D system.  I like em both!

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:46 pm
I plan to go with the EFI pipe, as it is the only one I can find that I like the looks of. I love the old Triumph style "peashooter" pipes. Never cared much for megaphones. Of course style is a very subjective thing.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:59:31 pm
I plan to go with the EFI pipe, as it is the only one I can find that I like the looks of. I love the old Triumph style "peashooter" pipes. Never cared much for megaphones. Of course style is a very subjective thing.

I am working on a possible value priced alternative to the EFI pipe as we speak.  I should hopefully have it up on the site with pricing this week.

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:29 pm
Does the kit include the heat shield shown in the pic.?
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:00 pm
Yep, comes with everything you need.  The stock heat shield mounting point on the header is ugly so we consider the heat shield to be a need and include it.