Author Topic: Overland 2013 bullet 500 reliability mods?  (Read 8429 times)

ironworker842

• Scooter
on: September 06, 2014, 12:00:31 am
Hi all, I plan on taking my north American market bullet 500 to south America next year. Just wondering if there are some things I should modify for more longevity. So far the plan is to upgrade valve train, take bike to bare chassis and sandblast it, re weld the factory welds for more strength then paint/ powder coat it for protection. Also doing a carb swap, swap battery terminals for some heavy on the duty ones. From what I hear the factory Chain is not very good so possibly that too. I was also thinking of redoing all of the wiring with python tape or something of that nature just to keep it more waterproof. I will be caring some spare parts like sprockets , spare NGk plugs and some other things but Im not going to carry all the replacement parts obviously. Is there any spares or mods that you guys would reccomend that I do that I haven't mentioned? And please no comments on don't do the trip on this bike or anything along those lines. I've already heard it, I'm doing it on this bike because it's the bike I love. Thanks to all replays !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:09:14 am
You won't get any nay-Sayers here.
Weve got members riding across the Middle-east to Spain and one who just finished riding his RE down to South Africa.

If you are going to reweld the frame joints, get a welder who is authorized to do aircraft quality welding and uses TIG or MIG.  A novas  with a stick welder or oxyacetylene can do more harm than good.

Do buy a good quality chain.  It might not be a bad idea to have a spare too.

Take at least 3 spare NGK BPR6ES spark plugs with you.  Check to make sure the top unscrews leaving just the threads exposed.

Don't forget to have a good multi-meter so you can analyze electrical faults.  Also include several spare fuses in the correct amperage.

From my reading I might mention your most difficult part of the trip will be getting South of Panama.  Another rider found the only way South from there is by boat.  It seems there are no roads thru to the lower Countries.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:11:59 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 08:58:48 am
Sounds like fun. I always wanted to do the Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego trip myself, but now I'm too old and have health problems.

If you mean you are converting the FI to a carb, I think that is the single most important thing you can do. Carbs can be worked on beside the road or trail, electronics and fuel pumps can't.

If you are experienced at this and know what to bring other than RE parts, great. If not, read the book Lois on the Loose, by Lois Price. She has made this trip along with several other trips through some pretty hostile conditions. You might also want to check out www.advrider.com if you are not already a member.

I would definitely get some good tires, carry enough stuff to fix several flats, and also carry a few extra spokes for both front and rear wheels. If Enfield parts are available down there, I wouldn't worry about parts that won't strand you if they fail. I had a KLR stator fail in Mexico, it took 4 days to get a replacement. Anything can go wrong. But I guess that is part of what makes it an adventure. Ride safe and definitely have fun.

Oh, and I would avoid Columbia and Venezuela. Take a boat from Panama to Ecuador
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:37:56 pm
Plenty of naysayers here - questions about how to do something answered with "don't do that".  Usually well intentioned, though.

Are you going there, and bringing your bike?  Or, are you riding your bike there?  We're assuming the latter, but I'm not quite sure.

My "heavy on the duty" battery terminals broke, too, so if you're worried about them, and you're doing wiring work anyway, I'd suggest changing not just the terminals, but your battery cables, too, for something with more flexibility:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,18593.0.html

There's a young couple who sold the farm and are on a long-term, round the world ride.  They're currently side-tracked in Croatia due to a family crisis, but they spent a lot of time in Mexico, Central America, and Northwest South America - they're taking the slow, scenic route!  Anyway, they've got a blog (well written, entertaining, great photos) which will take some time to get through, but you may find some useful information there about logistics.

Their blog site is just their entries.  They're also posting the entries on the ADV forum, where you can read the same entries, accompanied by lots of input and comments from people following along.  This is an even bigger slog, but you might find even more useful info as the huddled masses chime in.  Your trip isn't until next year, so you've got time...

Their blog:
http://www.ridedot.com/rtw/1.html

The ADV thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813572

Their blog post where they leave the US:
http://www.ridedot.com/rtw/52.html

The ADV thread where they leave the US:
Sorry, I don't know how to jump to the middle of a thread there.  It's post number 527 in the above linked ADV thread.

And just for fun, here's a link to another blog they wrote, about their travels in India on rented Bullets:

http://www.ridedot.com/india/index.html

They rented bikes from Lalli Singh, and spent two weeks in some truly horrendous weather!  They had some trying times, including the usual: road works, break-downs, food-born illness, tourist issues... and write about it with honesty and an interesting perspective.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 02:35:59 pm
Sounds like you have everything covered.  But I don't get the Venezuela comment.  Columbia, OK, I get.  But why Venezuela?  My boss goes there 2 or 3 times every year and I have heard nothing but good things about that place.  I also have a friend that walked from Venezuela all the way to Colorado over about a 7 year span, I've never heard him complain about anything bad there either.   ???

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:36 pm
As NPR would say "Ooohgo Chavez".

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:19:48 am
I recently got a Zero Gravity battery for $120. It is so small and light that you could buy two and have a spare, put them both in the battery box with room to spare. They say that with no drain it will hold a charge for over a year.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:41 am
A fun tread topic, fun to think about a trip like that.
  Nay sayer ? Do you mean is a trip to S. America possible ? It's all been done before .
Since you are a one hit wonder on this forum( they come and go like a river)I may be a nay sayer that you will do the trip. Just saying.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:46 am
......Since you are a one hit wonder on this forum........

Ouch, that stings just reading ......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 05:19:15 am
You have some completely unnecessary things listed in there.  No one has ever reported a frame/welding problem, so why mess up a perfectly good frame?  Also the new wiring is much better and will certainly be absolutely fine if you simply disconnect the side stand switch and replace the battery terminals.  Similarly there is nothing wrong with the EFI in a C5.....something in your plans seems amiss......almost sounds like you will create more problems trying to fix some things that are not a problem.  Just my humble opinion......it is your bike and your trip......anyway have fun and stay safe.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:39:58 am
You have some completely unnecessary things listed in there.  No one has ever reported a frame/welding problem, so why mess up a perfectly good frame?  Also the new wiring is much better and will certainly be absolutely fine if you simply disconnect the side stand switch and replace the battery terminals.  Similarly there is nothing wrong with the EFI in a C5.....something in your plans seems amiss......almost sounds like you will create more problems trying to fix some things that are not a problem.  Just my humble opinion......it is your bike and your trip......anyway have fun and stay safe.

I absolutely agree with you there.  Has anyone, ever, reported a frame weld failure?  Has anyone reported a failure of the EFi system?

It reminds me of the old saying: "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:29 pm

I absolutely agree with you there.  Has anyone, ever, reported a frame weld failure?  Has anyone reported a failure of the EFi system?

It reminds me of the old saying: "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."

Actually, I have read quite a few people complaining about the poor quality of the welding.  Someone on here even had a weld break, but I forget the details of that situation.  Others have had to have mounting studs and such rewelded or repaired, the rear section of the frame coming untrue.  So yes, there are definitely reported issues with the welding.  So I say to that, if you do have welds on your bike that are questionable, and you or someone you know is an EXPERIENCED welder with a good machine, then I would go over the questionable welds with some stitch welds to reinforce them.  I wouldn't go too terribly crazy, but you get the jist.

Scottie J

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 04:00:04 pm
No comment on the thread but this remark by Steve cracked me up
"If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 04:10:54 pm

+ 1  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 04:25:28 pm
Yeah, that made me laugh too.  As I am guilty of it.  "Oh!  This will be so awesome to do!"  4 hours later and a pile of parts......  "Ah crap.  Now it doesn't work at all."    ;D

ironworker842

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:01 pm
Yes it will be more of a trial and error while on the road. I'm a member on horizons unlimited a world travel site catering to motorcycles mostly. I'm sure the efi system is good but a carb is just simpler, less sensors and although I'm not that bad at working on motorcycles,if I find or need a mechanic down there I assume they will be able to work on the Carb easier than the efi setup. And there is a boat I'm booking that sails from panama to Columbia named the "steel rat". They've been doing that for motorcyclist for years and I haven't heard anything bad about them, nothing but good experiences. And yes absolutely get a good tig welder to redo the factory welds. I've been planning and thinking about this trip for years now and after a failed relationship with a girl from Montreal there really is no better time to do it. I'm young, no kids, no wife. Just saving up this winter and spring working in Alberta, so saving isn't going to be the problem. Thanks for all the comments so far ! Greatly appreciated.

ironworker842

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 06:23:59 pm
Also to comment on the frame failing. I'm sure it's a decent frame and will be more than good enough on North American roads. But after 10's of thousands of Kms on some not so well maintained roads even the bmw guys are having frame failures. The book " jupiters travels" originally got me hooked on this idea and is a good read for anyone interested in it

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:28 pm
Less is more. 

It is a simple enough machine, the EFI is robust, and they overload and abuse these things all over India.

It'll be tough enough.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 10:26:04 pm
And there is a boat I'm booking that sails from panama to Columbia named the "steel rat". They've been doing that for motorcyclist for years and I haven't heard anything bad about them, nothing but good experiences.

The Stahlratte!  Remember the ride blog I mentioned above?  Read more about the Stahlratte in this installment:

http://www.ridedot.com/rtw/87.html

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:09 pm
A majority of the frame failures that I've read about on ADV and HUBB can be directly correlated to the over loading of bikes with far too much crap in panniers and strapped all over the place then beating the bike on offroad conditions.   

Pack light. Probably don't need to carry the world on your bike to travel the world.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:48 am
I certainly haven't done anything that long. Max 3000 km over 4 days. However I didn't need anything except when hitting the roo and I still didn't bring the right socket but could easily buy one. Youll have to take the right tools but at the same time you can only take so many. It really is just a day at a time. Think of it like that and it isn't so daunting.

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:50:32 pm
30 year old Bullet - thousands of miles- lots of breakdowns, but no frame problems. Worth a read - https://www.facebook.com/#!/theanswerisalwaysyes?fref=ts

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:46 pm
Sorry - 45 year old Bullet.

Anyway, what ever you do, it'd be an amazing trip. Much better than my commute to work.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:36 pm

That's what I do. Mess a with stuff til I've wrecked it!

ironworker842

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 09:07:56 pm
Yes maybe I should leave the frame as is then and if it breaks on the road I could cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose. I am pretty stubborn on swapping the efi to carb , with my valve train upgrade from hitchcocks I will also have to purchase the re mapped computer with the valve train kit. I guess I just have a vision of something with the efi failing and not being able to do anything about it till parts come over seas which could take months. I should have more faith in the fuel system and just go with it after hearing good stuff about it from you guys. I guess that's why I joined this forum, not enough of these bikes on the road in my area to ask questions and swap info. My perspective is the more parts it takes the run a bike, the more that could go wrong ( injector, short in the computer, fuel pump etc) and yes carbs have lots of parts to them but they are all serviceable with minimum tools.

ironworker842

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:49 pm
And mattsz, I have read that couples whole trip report on horizons, pretty epic adventure eh!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:42 pm
I second not re-welding the frame.  Feel free to disassemble and inspect but if you don't find an obvious problem leave it alone.  I would upgrade to Hagon or another shock and take spares for the swingarm bushing, sprockets (and bearings), and chain with you.  The shocks would help with carrying heavy loads, the spare bushings are in case the loads wear the originals out.  The sprockets would be tough to source if you needed them so good to have them with you, even if they are heavy.  A chain you could probably get on the road if you didn't want to haul it.  I'd also put a different chain on before you leave if you're still running the stock chain.

Might be a good idea to run spare clutch and throttle cables next to the ones on there already, just seal up both ends.  Then if they fail you just need to connect them, you don't need to worry about routing things in the field.  I think this is an Iron Butt thing.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 11:26:37 pm
I second not re-welding the frame.  Feel free to disassemble and inspect but if you don't find an obvious problem leave it alone.  I would upgrade to Hagon or another shock and take spares for the swingarm bushing, sprockets (and bearings), and chain with you.  The shocks would help with carrying heavy loads, the spare bushings are in case the loads wear the originals out.  The sprockets would be tough to source if you needed them so good to have them with you, even if they are heavy.  A chain you could probably get on the road if you didn't want to haul it.  I'd also put a different chain on before you leave if you're still running the stock chain.

Might be a good idea to run spare clutch and throttle cables next to the ones on there already, just seal up both ends.  Then if they fail you just need to connect them, you don't need to worry about routing things in the field.  I think this is an Iron Butt thing.

Scott
What he said. A few spare spokes, maybe levers. You can use vice-grips as a substitute for a shift lever but clutch and brake levers can be hard to find. In fact, a set of Bark Busters could save you a lot of grief.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:21 am
Pretty sure you'd get any parts including sprockets to most places in South America pretty quick. Hitchcocks just sent me a caliper from uk to Australia . It took 5 days. Couldn't believe it.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 11:54:42 am
Relations between Colombia and Venezuela are not so good right now, not something I would want to wind up in the middle of. As far as I know, everywhere else down there is fairly safe right now, with the only other real issue being Mexico. Major crime wave going on right now with drug and immigrant smuggling. I live near the border.

I don't know about the frame or wiring. I have not owned an Enfield long enough to be that familiar with it. I did have a wiring issue, where the rear tire cut through the wires going to the tail light, brake light, and rear turn signals. Repaired it and rerouted the wires on top of the fender.

I have nothing good to say about EFI, especially on motorcycles. You can work on/clean/rejet a carb beside the road. If the fuel pump or computer fail on EFI in the middle of nowhere, you are in trouble. And unlike in the U.S., it is unlikely you will find very many mechanics in SA that know how to work on FI. They still use carbs down there.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:04 am
Hi all, I plan on taking my north American market bullet 500 to south America next year. Just wondering if there are some things I should modify for more longevity. So far the plan is to upgrade valve train, take bike to bare chassis and sandblast it, re weld the factory welds for more strength then paint/ powder coat it for protection. Also doing a carb swap, swap battery terminals for some heavy on the duty ones. From what I hear the factory Chain is not very good so possibly that too. I was also thinking of redoing all of the wiring with python tape or something of that nature just to keep it more waterproof. I will be caring some spare parts like sprockets , spare NGk plugs and some other things but Im not going to carry all the replacement parts obviously. Is there any spares or mods that you guys would reccomend that I do that I haven't mentioned? And please no comments on don't do the trip on this bike or anything along those lines. I've already heard it, I'm doing it on this bike because it's the bike I love. Thanks to all replays !

Hey mate just a thought. ive had a weak, bent, warped swing arm for a while. Hit a kangaroo plus had alot of weight on the back at different times. This has caused me no end of grief. Im just wondering if its worth changing the plastic swing arm bushes with the steel ones. Ive just done it today. Pain in the arse, but less components inside the swing arm and no plastic at all. When the swing arm is bent, its very hard to tell (for me it was!)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:15 pm
Scott
+1 to the above. I have done this for years to bulletproof, even around town. It can save you a tow fee, inconvenience, or a situation in a bad location.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 11:54:46 pm
+1 to the above. I have done this for years to bulletproof, even around town. It can save you a tow fee, inconvenience, or a situation in a bad location.

yep. those cables complete install in minutes and are light as. trying to use vice grips to compensate is pointless really. ive used my spare, and instantly bought another spare.

ironworker842

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 06:00:41 am
Yes I will definitely add levers to the packing list, I had a front break lever break and it took a long F-in time to get it in where I live in Edmonton Alberta, like a rediculously long time and enfield has a parts warehouse in the city! I also have this little idea too. Order spares that I don't want to take with me, like clutch and after market shocks etc. Package them all up ready to ship in my city, then get them sent to whatever country I'm in on a as need basis. Almost like having a mini parts warehouse in a friends garage. And thanks for all the great info guys! Its appreciated!

-Scott

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 11:00:30 am
A 2013 model - if it was used on a regular basis than any initial problem areas should have surfaced already and hopefully have been resolved. By now the bike should be "bullet" proof....