Author Topic: Fuel line woes  (Read 2612 times)

medioXcore

• Scooter
on: September 05, 2014, 09:27:52 am
I was riding to my evening class tonight when a block from my house I felt something cold on my left thigh. I pulled over and saw a steady stream of fuel spraying from the fuel line, where it connects to the tank. It looks like the line just needed to be pushed back over the lip of the petcock, but I was unable to push it back. I was able to get it to stop spraying, but it's still not over the lip. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it back on snugly? I tried again after school, when the engine was warm enough to make the line more malleable, but no dice.
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:57:54 am
Refer to the following pic (screenshot) of one of singhg5's videos.

You should be able to slide the pipe quite easily up to the 'lip' only, then tighten the clip ring. It's not supposed to go past that 'lip'. Fuel spraying out the pump from the tank side means either the clip ring got loose or went missing..(in your case?), or the pipe has cracked somewhere in the vicinity of the nipple (this hasn't happened, I hope).
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:02 am
I guess that would explain why I couldn't get it over that lip.  ::)

The hose band is still there. I tightened it pretty well when I noticed the spraying fuel. Hopefully it stays. Thanks JVS!
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:17 pm
Hate it when gas gets on my skin especially on the leg ..Bet u were glad u were close to home..All that thumping sometimes has it disadvantages..I have the old gravity fed iron setup so I'm not sure if the fuel nozzle  on yours is a cheap pot metal or plastic..Not crazy about the location but the engineers/designers  must know what they are doing :o......
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:56 pm
If you can find some at the local auto parts store, the clamps that look like this are great:
http://www.supplierlist.com/product_view/wdclamps/238138/101413/304_Stainless_Fuel_Line_Clamp.htm
They don't cut into the line as much as the kind with the threads in the band.  Also a good time to check on the fuel line, the factory stuff tends to crack and check fairly early.  If you need to replace it, 5/16" high pressure fuel line is readily available at most auto shops.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:44 pm
+1 to that clamp.

With my OEM, threads-in-the-band clamp, bits of the fuel line were squeezing through each individual thread opening.  The line had a web of hairline cracks, so I replaced the line and both clamps.

The injector side was a bit of a bitch, but manageable it.  Assuming your plastic fuel pump outlet is intact, be very careful when working on or around it - it's easy to break, and expensive to fix!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:19:50 pm
+1.  If the fuel line won't come off the outlet carefully cut it off with a razor.  Don't break it or you'll need a new $300 fuel pump.

Scott

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:03:04 pm
Thanks guys. I'll look for better clamps when I go to o'reilly to pick up some exhaust wrap.  I might as we'll pick up the fuel line while I'm there.
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:21 pm
I'm not sure if the fuel nozzle  on yours is a cheap pot metal or plastic..

The nozzles are plastic and can be broken off. I doubt that they would just crack, they are quite hard and brittle. Don't ask me how I know. I did repair one, but never put it on the bike to try its longevity.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:32:44 pm
The nozzles are plastic and can be broken off.   

That's what I thought but wanted to reserve judgement.. What were they thinking...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:17:53 am
What were they thinking? Probably how many new fuel pumps they could sell. There is no reason that part has to be made out of plastic. I have little doubt it will break over time, with all that vibration, and ethanol in the gas. Hopefully mine will last until I get my carb conversion kit.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 12:26:56 am
Be careful that you buy proper EFI specific petrol hose. They have 40PSI from the pump.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 08:32:55 am
Yeah...what was Keihin thinking...putting a plastic nozzle on their fuel pump  :-X
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:12 am
It might have been ok if that nozzle had been replaceable. Still no need to make it out of plastic. I had a 1985 Goldwing LTD (fuel injected) bought used and abused, and it had several parts where rubber was bonded to metal. Of course over the years the rubber rotted, making the whole part worthless. And of course the parts were "discontinued" Used ones were also rotted. That and many years of working on automotive FI as a fleet services mechanic totally soured me on EFI, and vehicle electronics in general.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson