Author Topic: Heading out for the last trip of the year  (Read 2152 times)

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:48 am
Howdy All,

I'm all packed up and ready to hit the road tomorrow morning.  Heading down to Sipapu, New Mexico tomorrow morning for a small BMW rally down there.  Of course, my BMW is staying in the garage and I am riding the Enfield down.  Showing up on a Beemer would just be boring.

Not expecting any problems.  I've got about 4,100 trouble free miles on the bike so far.  Son't see any reason for that to change.  The trip is just shy of 400 miles each way, and it goes through some very nice Colorado landscape.  A few dirt roads are thrown in for good measure

The rally's held a really small family owned ski area about 40 miles southeast of Taos, NM.  Always had good food, beer, and music in years past.  I expect it'll be about the same this year.  I'm looking forward to some good New Mexican food.

I'll follow-up with some more posts if anything interesting happens.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:11:54 am
We'd love to hear all about your trip, and remember, without pictures, it didn't happen. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:54:13 am
It sounds like you have a great time every year you go there Dan.  I'm sure this year will be the same.   :)    Are you taking Rampart Range Rd down to Woodland Park?  That is a great road.   :D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 01:24:53 am
<div>I finally had an opportunity to go through my snapshots from my trip down to Sipapu last weekend. &nbsp;A few are worth sharing.</div><div><br></div><div>There was fine riding weather throughout the 4 day trip. &nbsp;An excellent little rally down in New Mexico. &nbsp;The Enfield garnered a good amount of interest at the rally. &nbsp;It was just a hair under 1,000 miles for the whole trip.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Maintaining 55-60 mph while loaded down was not a problem except for one long (75+ miles) of slowly climbing, ruler straight road from Ft. Garland, Colorado to Taos, New Mexico. &nbsp;There was a head wind the entire way and holding 60 mph was just to much. &nbsp;I backed off to 50-55 mph.</div><div><br></div><div>I found a good camp site next to the ski area's main lift</div><div></div><div><br></div><div>There were a little over 300 rally attendees. &nbsp;Great live music (Blue Grass and Classic Rock). &nbsp;The ski area had suffered a fire in the lodge building just a week prior to the rally. &nbsp;Luckily, they adjusted quickly to the circumstances and really there was no affect on the rally at all. &nbsp;There was lots of camping space in two camping areas at the base of the main ski runs.</div><div><br></div><div>A couple of views looking down main slope towards lodge and camping area</div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>On Saturday I rode a loop of about 125 miles that runs down through some really old villages and the Picuris Pueblo (Native Reservation) down to Santa Cruz Lake via some really cool tiny villages. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>These villages have adobe homes built right up to the edge of the narrow winding roadway through the villages. &nbsp;It conjures mental images of riding in Mexico, not New Mexico.</div><div><br></div><div>My riding brought me down through Las Trampas, which was founded in 1751. &nbsp;In Las Trampas is San Jose the Gracia church, which was built in 1760 and in continuous use since then.</div><div><br></div><div>In case you want to visit.</div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>Close-up of the heavy, carved front doors of the church</div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>On the loop back to the rally site, I spied an old log water pflume off the side of the road. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>It was carrying water from one side of the arroyo to the other and into a culvert that ran under the road. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>I don't know where the water winds up, but I think it's pretty rare these days to come across a working wooden pflume like that.</div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>The following day I rode up from Sipapu to Red River, NM. &nbsp;Such a complete opposite ride to the day before. &nbsp;Friday's ride was through rolling arid arroyos and fairly barren landscape. &nbsp;Saturday's ride through alpine forest and meadow.</div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div>The excellent N.M. road 434 running from Mora up to Angel Fire is a must-ride road for any motorcyclist visiting this area. &nbsp;It's opens up with a pass by a humongous alpaca &amp; llama ranch with literally hundreds of the wooly beasts roaming the pastures at road side. &nbsp;I learned later from another rider that they have free tours also. &nbsp;This road narrows down to one lane of climbing, twisting, dipping roadway as it reaches the upper end of the valley. &nbsp;A spectacular road.</div><div><br></div><div>Passing the Angel Fire ski area I rode all the way to Red River, a tiny town that serves the eponymous ski area at its flank. &nbsp;I picked out a good looking roadside restaurant and randomly walked up to one of the outside tables where sat two other obvious motorcycle rider. &nbsp;As only motorcyclists seem to do, I introduced myself and we spent the better part of the next hour swapping riding stories. &nbsp;Have you ever done that when you were touring in your car? &nbsp;I enjoyed a big, fat burrito, a cold beer, and good conversation.</div><div><br></div><div>It was another beautiful ride back toward Sipapu. &nbsp;Instead of back-tracking, I followed the canyon back down toward Taos. &nbsp;I avoided the congested old town section by using a by-pass road, and then continued on up the alpine valley back to Sipapu.</div><div><br></div><div>How many superlatives can I repeat about riding? &nbsp;Sunday's ride home was great. &nbsp;I basically back-tracked the same route I rode southward on Thursday. &nbsp;Up to La Veta Pass and following National Forest dirt roads back up towards Westcliffe, Colorado where I made the day's only fuel stop (Gotta love that consistent 75 mpg).</div><div><br></div><div>Except for the first 80 miles, it was non-stop twisties, canyons, river runs, and sweepers all the way back home. &nbsp;I coasted up the driveway about 4:00pm, a little sore, but grinning widely</div><div><br></div><div>Cheers,</div><div><br></div><div>Dan K.</div>

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:01:08 pm
Hell of a ride. Makes me want to go there!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com