Author Topic: Oil "Plugs" Help  (Read 2282 times)

Turkeyrider

• Scooter
on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:51 am
My new Electra is a 2006 model, never bought, that I found at Velocity Motorcycles in Richmond Virginia.  It had 280 miles put on it by dealer folks before they sold it to me.

They had changed fluids during the 280 miles.  Now, at about 500 miles, my ride is due for first oil change away from dealer.  The printed version of the Electra Service Manual has low resolution B&W photos with apparently no photo showing the underside of the engine.

For the oil change it says "Drain oil from oil tank and sump."  A look at the underside reveals what looks like three plugs, one of which is obviously either the tank or the sump.

Question: Which of the other two is the other oil drain plug?  While we are at it, what does the third plug or bolt do?  Experience is the best teacher but I would rather ask before I dive in.

Question (#2):  Manual says after oil change "Tighten [both of] the oil drain plugs and [the] feed plug."  What is the "feed plug?"  Earlier they referred to the dip stick as the "dip stick," so I don't think that's what they mean by "feed plug."  What am I missing?

Question (#3):  Where the manual says "Remove the oil filter" they include a closeup photo of the filter that doesn't tell me where it's located.  Can someone direct me to the location of the oil filter?

Thanks for the info and patience with a "newbie." 

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:00:52 am
Having done my first oil change yesterday, and seeing the manual for the first time today, I'll take a crack at the answer. I'm assuming that your engine is basically the same layout as my 08 avl.
1- the oil filter is on the bottom, right, forward corner of engine - size of a tomato juice can and cover is held on with an acorn nut. I haven't actually changed it yet, because filters are backordered from forum hosts. Anyone know how long backorders tend to be?

3- 3 plugs are all oil drains. 2 of them have screens on them and it's important that the screened ones end up in the holes that they came out of. They should be one in front of the other. The 3rd plug has no screen and sits in the middle of the pan on the bottom of engine. It wants to end up where it started also.

hopefully this is helpful and if my engine is different than yours, someone will let us know.

good luck,
Mike

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:21:45 am
er. i didn't read the manual ..  i bought one later...  yep..  3 of them...  as far as plugs go..  manuals too>>>>>> i took pictures of the bottom with my cell phone, removed one at a time.. until they were all out.. metal screens .. covered with er stuff...  gasket  material cigar butts I don't know .. stUff...  anyway that was the easy part... the next part with the case of the shooting oil filter spring across the garage..  thank goodness for floor magnets

Turkeyrider

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:24:39 am
Huge help.  Thanks. And I guess I can go ahead and change the oil now, since i know what they will say when i call to order one or two oild filters!

I bought the replacement drain plug with the magnet built in.  Since it's the middle of "break-in" it's a good time to get it where it can do some good.

Can't get over how great the RE looks.  Every bit as appealing as the restored Triumphs I've seen at the dealer and in classic motorcycle magazines.  Sometimes I catch myself going to the garage on some excuse to have one more look at the Electra before going to work or to bed or out.  (I commute on a Honda Silver Wing maxi-scooter.  Once the RE is broken in I'll commute some of the time on it.)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:38:05 pm
Some friendly advice...when changing your oil, remove one plug at a time. I start with the rear-most, let the oil drain then put the plug back in and go to the next one which will have a screen. Then after returning that one do the forward-most drain. that ensures you put the plugs back in the right place. Be sure to blow out the screens even if you have to blow it yourself. Mine has a tendancy to collect what appears to be gasket sealer on them which will block oil flow. Another thing I do is use the oil I soak the filter in to reprime the pump. I think the Electra has a hole specifically for this. My AVL does not so I add it through the lifter cover. I purchased mine from Velocity too, unfortunately I'm about 150 miles away so oil changes and other service is primarily on me.

08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:19 am
The rearmost plug is the oil tank.  The middle and front screened plugs are the oil flow paths to and from the oil pump - bottom of the crankcase. 

The screened plugs shouldn't have too much oil  drain from them.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:06:22 am
Motor oil change is not difficult if you take care of the following items:

Screw out all three drain plugs and let it drain.
Clean the strainers on the two plugs in front, replace copper washers.
Notice which screw in which plug hole!
When unscrewing the oil filter nut take care that it is under spring pressure!
Take care of the sequence of the washers, O-rings, and spring.
Replace all O-Rings and the gasket (the last O-ring is behind the filter, you have to pull it out carefully with a hook)).
Soak the new filter in fresh motor oil.
Reassamble everything(the cover plate is under spring pressure, but must fit wthout gap).
DonĀ“t overfill! The recommended quantity of the manual is definitely wrong!
Max 2 liter!