Author Topic: One More Noise  (Read 6264 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 10:19:03 pm
Update?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 02:41:50 am

Here is what I tried/observed

- Tightened all nuts.
- Put the speedo cable sleeve back into the speedo. It was just loose. Did this today. Didn't test bike for noise after this. Probably not the issue.
- Removed the front brake assemble. One of the pistons (the bottom one) was less free than the top one. Lubed it a bit to free it. Not quite as it should be. But the front wheel is much more free after this.
- Checked both the fenders for clearance from tires. Looks okay. Checked if they are loose.
- Checked the wires under the back fender. Okay.

I will work on the front brake to get it in good shape. I think it is the issue based on the noise and also because the wheel is much more free after the pistons were lubed.

I was about to ride the bike after removing the speedo cable but was worried if something will fly out of the assembly in the front wheel. Is this a concern?

One question I have is, what keeps the brake pads from rubbing with the disc when the brake is not applied? Can't the pad keep rubbing against the disc and make the noise?

As a side effect, I also removed the jumper cable in the headlight and disconnected the side stand switch.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:45 am
All disk brakes come very close to rubbing when they are not applied.

The very slight wobble of the disk will move the pads and pistons back far enough to keep them from actually producing any stopping power or heat.
The very light skuffing the pads make on the disk is not enough to cause any noise.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 06:07:09 am
- Put the speedo cable sleeve back into the speedo. It was just loose. Did this today. Didn't test bike for noise after this. Probably not the issue.

This can be the issue. We'll find out soon  ;)

I was about to ride the bike after removing the speedo cable but was worried if something will fly out of the assembly in the front wheel. Is this a concern?

Nothing is going to fly out. All you have to do is undo the speedo cable from the speedo drive at the front wheel. You do it by hand. Then tie/support the speedo cable to the frame tube and just go for a quick ride. Even the first 100-200m of your ride will let you know whether the sound is still present or not.

The brake pads ever so slightly keep rubbing on the disc. As Arizoni mentioned, it is not enough to make the noise you're having. But you never know.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 03:22:37 pm
I have uploaded a better, longer audio of the noise here:
http://youtu.be/-nYBsuCTSVw

You can hear how it starts, changes its pitch and dies down as I slow down the bike.

I did tighten some fasteners. I will be getting a tool kit today so that I can tighten all of them. The RE toll kit is missing some spanners. Also Arizoni there is some slack in the chain (I was being terse when I mentioned clean and tight).

I did look a little at the front fender as JVS suggested. Nothing abviously wrong. I will open the brake caliper once all tightening is done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Man.... I keep listening to this. And that is metal on metal.......  Like a bell ringing.  Are you sure your chain is not too loose, or making contact with the chain guard or frame...edges of the side cover ?   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 04:07:06 pm
Could be the speedo drive mechanism or speedo cable.  Disconnect the cable at the wheel, secure it, and go for a ride.  Also could be the brakes.  Drilled rotors tend to make a quiet hiss or clicking but it can be louder.  Does the noise go away if you apply the front brake while moving?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:04 pm
What did you lube the brake pistons with? Get some brake cleaner spray and clean them out. They shouldn't be lubed at all. How disk brakes work: When you pull the brake lever this forces brake fluid down into the calipers which force the pistons out against the disk. We all got that part, here's the trickier stuff. to move the pistons out, the Orings that seal the pistons roll with the pistons' movement. Once you relieve the pressure on the lever the master cylinder backs up pulling the piston back with its vacuum. The rolled up orings helps pull the piston back, too. As the pads wear, the oring should slip enough to keep the shrinking pads at the proper clearance. Sometimes, you will notice you have to pull the lever back farther than usual. That's because the oring is getting some dirt behind it and won't move out as it should. To get the lever travel back to the point that it was originally, at a stoplight, pull the lever back fairly hard and hold for several seconds. This will force the orings to move. You may have to repeat this a few times to get all the travel back but the lever should get back to very near where it started originally. If the pads start rubbing the disk the area around the pistons is getting too dirty to let the orings do their job. Pull the pads and Push the pistons back into the calipers and clean out the slots, then put the pads back in and do the squeeze play again.
Do not lube the pistons and calipers. there is a chance of getting the lube on the pads, the lube will attract more dirt and most of all, it will let the orings slide and not be able to pull the pads back as they should.
As for losing part of you speedo drive by leaving the cable out, some of them have a little adapter in them to engage the cable. Make sure either that is out or won't come out. I would suggest, preferably a screw on cap for the cable hole or at least taping it over to keep dirt out.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:32:07 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 10:03:00 am
I'm not sure - but on my bike (after off-road use) I had the front wheel ending up very slightly skew in the front forks resulting in the brake pads rubbing the disc.... all I had to do is remove the front wheel and refit it - problem gone.

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 01:20:39 am
This can be the issue. We'll find out soon  ;)

The speedo cable sleeve wasn't it. It is secured to the speedo now. The noise still shows up once in a while.

2014 C5 Military Green

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 01:26:23 am
Does the noise go away if you apply the front brake while moving?

Scott

I did test this. If the speed decreases enough after only the front brake is applied the noise goes away. But then this happens even when I apply back brake only.

If I apply the front brake by jerking the brake lever (without reducing the speed too much) the noise does not go away.

2014 C5 Military Green

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 01:44:52 am
Sounds like something rubbing on disc of brake brake. Is the disc loose or wrapped or does the front wheel wiggle ?

Take off the front brake caliper and its pads and see if anything is sticking out or loose in there that is rubbing the disc.

I did this. Did not fix the issue.

2014 C5 Military Green

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 01:56:21 am
I did test this. If the speed decreases enough after only the front brake is applied the noise goes away. But then this happens even when I apply back brake only.

If I apply the front brake by jerking the brake lever (without reducing the speed too much) the noise does not go away.

Not the brake then :(

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 02:31:10 am
Hmm  :(

Did you try disconnecting the speedo cable from the speedo drive at the wheel and then going for a ride?

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 03:47:30 am
Have you checked the disc itself, could be a warped disc. Sounds like you've checked everything else. If you're taking it into a dealer try swapping the entire front wheel temporarily to see if the noise goes away. This would at least give you a better idea of where to look for the problem. Sorry you are having so many problems.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:10:00 pm by Decker »
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:23 pm

I think I might have found the cause. BTW - the noise does not show up any more even though I have not done anything to fix it specifically.

After reading through this forum I found out that there is a spacer for the speedo drive which is missing on my bike. Hence the speedo on my bike is not rigidly fixed - it is loose and could rotate around freely (of course the attached speedo cable stops it from doing this). This might be causing the noise.

I removed and mounted the front wheel for some other reason. This might have fixed the noise issue as a side effect.

Thanks specifically to singh5g for the photos at http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=12305.0

2014 C5 Military Green