Author Topic: Good Things ? YES  (Read 4901 times)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
on: August 30, 2014, 04:47:52 am
Someone else on here pointed out to a perspective Enfield buyer that a lot of the posts on here can be from problems. But that most happy customers never post. Too busy pickin the bugs from there grins..lol. SO list a couple of things You like/love about your Enfield Bullet. (besides its beautiful, that's a given) #1. I love the way it handles in the tight twisty roads. #2. I was really surprised how comfortable the seat is. I got lots more but don't want to go too long. Come-on tell us why you luv your Enfield .

yoda_jackson

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:21:44 pm
Hmm, I'm sure none of these will be original but here goes. I love tinkering with it.  I love that it's a basic design (which is coincidentally one of the reasons I love my '54 Chevy truck).  However, the sound of my thumper at idle is one of the coolest things.  Especially when someone at work mistook it for the sound of helicopter  ;D ;

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:27:08 pm
The Bullet is unique, even among other vintage singles.
It has a feel and character that is all its own.
Once you ride a Bullet, then nothing else can really fill that role again. You might like other bikes for different reasons, but the Bullet will always own your heart.

Having a fast Bullet is like having it all!!!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1sogdusm

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:37:30 pm
I had an option last night to crank the Vincent and take a ride on a cool evening on an amazing historical machine. I took the Royal Enfield instead and had a fantastic and problem free ride. I am still amazed that people take as many pics of the RE as they do the  52 Vincent. I think one reason we hear about the "problems" is we are all involved with our bikes the way people were 50 years ago, doing mods and wrenching!  That's a good thing the way I see it and part or why we ride what we do. Good job on bringing it to the surface.    Cheers and ride safe!

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:29:02 pm
There's a couple of reasons I love this bike: 

- it's light and flickable. It handles well for my purpose (commuting and leisure).
- comfortable. It just is and I can set it up for me.
- mileage!
- love it's personality. That single thump is like a pulse. Love it and the vibrations( which my spouse likes as well).
- I can tinker and mod/customize as I want and do so at relatively cheap prices. And... I don't have to feel bad about modding a classic BSA or triumph.

Yes, I've had a few probs here and there. Mostly those are related to me. It's never left me stranded.... From 25 mile trips to 400+.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:33:03 pm
I love saying to people who ask (and this happens regularly), "she's NOT for sale".
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:25:36 am
"Kick start my heart"  :-X
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:30:32 am
I have a good Bullet. I ride in the summer 4-5 months a year. Had very few problems , when I did , they were self induced.
For purchasing new, it has been a hands on experience that never stops.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 12:32:57 pm
My brother had a modern Triumph, and while it had the right look (if a little overswollen), there's a presence that my Enfield has which just puts it in some other category.

Similar to what I feel seeing the latest Corvette...awesome machine and I'd love to drive or maybe even own one, but it doesn't send the same signals or raise the same emotions as one from 1968.  The feeling that radiates from formed metal resting on a frame just isn't the same as seeing something that's more akin to a computer.  I respect the new one for what it can do, for the technology and even the beauty it has, but it's not the same thing.

Plus, feeling it kick to life is far more emotionally compelling than something with a starter button.  That's not to say the Enfield is worth more, and on days when I deal with its character in an attempt to get it to move, it can be struggle to love it, but in the end, it's the price paid for every other aspect.

I also love how Enfields can be rebuilt into something new/personal so easily, or left as they are and remain just as interesting.

1sogdusm

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:27 pm
Ok, I can't seem to leave this one alone. Bsa's last pre-unit was 1962ish, and they were one of the last companies to built the more expensive pre-unit ( Norton exception). I have been blessed in my life to have owned and ridden pre-unit, BSAs, Triumphs, etc.  and there is a huge difference in that experience for me.  I have said that I don't feel like I have been on a motorcycle unless I smell like gas and oil.  Royal Enfield kept us old souls moving on old iron and gave that opportunity to a lot of people that did'nt even know that was what they were looking for until they stumbled on to a Royal Enfield. I am sure the company did'nt think about that as they continued to produce the Bullet but that's what was happening for the last 50 years. So with all that hot air I am saying I am thankful for someone taking a chance and bringing those bikes to our market so we have them to enjoy. That is a good thing!  Cheers

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:59 pm
This is one of those subjects where either you just "get it" or you don't.
You can't explain it to those who "don't get it", because they don't get it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:15:20 pm
I like the minimalism of old British iron. There is nothing on these machines that doesn't need to be there but they still look way better than the over-designed stuff turned out in CAD programs by modern makers.

Just Google up "adventure bike" to see page after page of ghastly, and overweight, machines. The makers have lost belief in form following function, so they try to improve the aesthetic of the bike by slapping on bits of zig-zag shaped, plastic trim.

BMW lost the plot worst of all in this way.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:18:53 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:46:50 pm
. ........BMW lost the plot worst of all in this way.

While I'm not a huge fan of the styling and while the bike is a bit soulless, BMW makes one of the absolute best offroad adventure bikes available on the market.  I never liked BMW's until I borrowed my friend's GS650F.  Even loaded with camping gear on dirt roads it rides and handles with precision.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:04 am
I like the minimalism of old British iron. There is nothing on these machines that doesn't need to be there but they still look way better than the over-designed stuff turned out in CAD programs by modern makers.

Just Google up "adventure bike" to see page after page of ghastly, and overweight, machines. The makers have lost belief in form following function, so they try to improve the aesthetic of the bike by slapping on bits of zig-zag shaped, plastic trim.

BMW lost the plot worst of all in this way.

Maybe my perspective is different, having come to Enfields while living in India, but I've seen quite a number of Enfields I've encountered entirely festooned with useless decorative crap.  Visor peaks on turns signals and headlamps alike?  "Crash bars" with highway pegs on a 350cc bike?  Elaborate sari guards?  Brass adornments everywhere?  Fake second cylinder heads to make the bike look tougher/dual muffler pipes?  Seen a few really clean restorations and builds, too, but in general there's an obsession almost worse than a first-time Harley Sportster 883 owner who really really wanted a tricked out Road King.

And the Enfields which have had modern emissions requirements foisted on them also get a nest of hoses and junk that takes away from that minimalism.

Whereas although you may not like the aesthetic of the modern adventure bike, I generally find that the serious adventure riders have no time or place for anything that's not functional on their bikes.  Perhaps some of the function is not entirely mechanical, such as heated grips or storage space, but it's functional given the way they use the bikes.  I'm sure plenty of people use them around town without ever spending weeks exploring back-country firebreaks in the Rockies or blasting across the desert, but I tend to think of those bikes as extremely functional.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:11:05 am by AgentX »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:51 pm
What do I love? The ride home from work.  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Akat

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:20 am
What do I love? The ride home from work.  ;D
+1
A.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 05:07:24 am
It still has a Kick starter  ;D & When dry the front drum works better than a lot of vintage bike disc brakes !.

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 08:36:03 pm
I love the fact that I can understand how it works to a large extent.

It represents a hold out from a more simpler manlier age where grease under the fingernails and carrying a toolbox was not thought of as annoying.

I love the fact that mine (and anyones) can be made quite unique just by mucking around.

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 03:35:11 pm
Being born and raised in Springfield Massachusetts, I've always wanted an Indian motorcycle. But the prices of a Springfield made Indian are out of my reach. What I like about my Enfield is, I learned they were the next in line to carry the Indian brand name after they closed the factory here. After a few years of owning the bike I found a 1959
Indian fire arrow for 100 dollars. It was in bad very shape and the only thing I could restore was the gas tank. I matched the color, put it on the bike and put the Indian timing cover badge on and voila, I have my Indian. Now when I'm asked "what year is it?" I tap my hand on the gas tank and say, 1959!

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:12 pm
The best thing is while on a beautiful ride out, hearing a noise, vibration, or some other quirk, then hobbling it home to identify the problem. Quickly referencing all resources to remedy the issue. Make the repairs, take it back out, feeling of accomplishment since you've just fixed what was wrong...just to hear a 'new' problem.

It's a beautiful, viscious circle our Enfields live in!

devon john

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:54 pm
if you ever get the chance to ride the Himalayas on a enfield and see what they are capable of.
 you would like me understand and love these little bikes!!
i don't think a modern bike would be so versatile and economic and cheap!!

john
harley hydra glide FL (1950)
harley FLH 80
535 Royal Enfield bullet

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 04:43:32 pm
There are so many good things about these little bikes, I couldn't narrow it down.  The smile per mile ratio is the best of any bike I've ridden.   8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:24:52 am
I have one of those shiny chrome bikes from Milwaukee that I ride from time to time.  Every where I go people give it a quick look and they can tell you the make, model, and year because every one has one or has seen a hundred of them.  When I ride the bullet it's me and the wind thumping around the country until I stop.  Then I have to talk to the crowd and tell them the story.  I am my own man I don't try to be anyone other than me, neither does my bullet!