Author Topic: A quick UCE question...  (Read 3914 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: August 30, 2014, 01:37:27 am
Hi guys-

What's the stock HP output of our 500 UCEs, engine and at the wheel?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:40:39 am
Several dyno charts have been posted here, and IIRC they were around 19-20 hp at the wheel.
I don't know of anyone who has tried to attach the dyno to the crankshaft on the UCE to get engine hp.

The factory hp claim of 27hp would obviously be a claim of engine hp, but the accuracy of that claim is unknown. It would indicate 7-8hp power transmission losses to the wheel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:43:48 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:13:12 am
Actually, that's perfect, Ace, thanks!

I'm heading to a motorcycle meet this weekend at the Owls Head Transportation Museum here in Maine, and we talked about using my 2011 B5 in a side-by-side display with their 1922 RE; maybe do some start-up procedure comparisons.  I thought it might be nice to have some specs on hand for comparison...

Their bike:

http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1922-royal-enfield

some specs: Engine air-cooled single-cylinder, two-stroke, bore 64 mm., stroke 70 mm., displacement 225 cc., power rating 2.25 hp.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:16:56 am
Mattsz
Thanks for asking the question... it has been one I've had for a bit now

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:11:36 am

some specs: Engine air-cooled single-cylinder, two-stroke, bore 64 mm., stroke 70 mm., displacement 225 cc., power rating 2.25 hp.

Actually, am I right in thinking that the "power rating" was calculated quite differently from how we do it now?  These days we measure "brake" horsepower, which is a proper measure of power.  I vaguely remember they would calculate the hp back then, for tax purposes, rather than measure it.  Wasn't it based on the bore and the number of cylinders?  Rather than the actual power of the engine?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:21:11 pm
Actually, am I right in thinking that the "power rating" was calculated quite differently from how we do it now?  These days we measure "brake" horsepower, which is a proper measure of power.  I vaguely remember they would calculate the hp back then, for tax purposes, rather than measure it.  Wasn't it based on the bore and the number of cylinders?  Rather than the actual power of the engine?
I think they actually hooked up two Clydesdales and a Quarter Horse then had a tug-of-war to get the 2.25 hp rating.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:45:50 pm
I think they actually hooked up two Clydesdales and a Quarter Horse then had a tug-of-war to get the 2.25 hp rating.

The manufacturers almost always quote engine horsepower, not rear wheel horsepower. Owners that get on the dyno get rear wheel horsepower figures, and are sometimes disappointed that it is lower than the mfr quoted power.
There will always be some kind of power transmission losses between the engine crankshaft and the dyno roller under the rear wheel of the bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:57:56 pm
I'm always disappointed when I see manufacturer's horsepower ratings. There are so many variables. I'll take a dyno reading any day. My Enfield had 18.7 hp with an EFI muffler on it. However, I suspect that the reading had he not literally plug the pipe up by shoving a 1/2" O2 probe down about a 3/4" tube. Probably robbed me of some HP.
But the bike was mostly always adequate on power. A few steep hills at 7 or 8 thousand feet could kinda slow it down!
I found that being a bit inventive, it was certainly useable on the freeway.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26:39 pm
The real horsepower of the 1922 RE was probably known to the engineers in 1922 but the published horsepower of 2.25 was based just on the engine displacement for tax purposes. 
Note that the 2.25 horsepower is 10 percent of the 225cc displacement.

That makes as much sense as the way they calculated horsepower in Europe and the UK for the cars at that time.

They used a "RAC" rating which was based on the bore size and the number of cylinders.  Stroke had nothing to do with it so this system drove the designers to use really long stroke designs.
The RAC horsepower was equal to the bore (in inches) squared multiplied by the number of cylinders  divided by 2.5.  (Bore^2 X n)/2.5.  = RAC horsepower

This gave the supercharged 8 liter Bentley 6 a RAC horsepower of 45 while the OHC 4 valve/cyl. engine was actually cranking out 220 brake horsepower. :)

Our 500cc single using the 10 percent rule would have a horsepower of 5.0. ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:28:55 pm
The real horsepower of the 1922 RE was probably known to the engineers in 1922 but the published horsepower of 2.25 was based just on the engine displacement for tax purposes. 
Note that the 2.25 horsepower is 10 percent of the 225cc displacement.

That makes as much sense as the way they calculated horsepower in Europe and the UK for the cars at that time.

They used a "RAC" rating which was based on the bore size and the number of cylinders.  Stroke had nothing to do with it so this system drove the designers to use really long stroke designs.
The RAC horsepower was equal to the bore (in inches) squared multiplied by the number of cylinders  divided by 2.5.  (Bore^2 X n)/2.5.  = RAC horsepower

This gave the supercharged 8 liter Bentley 6 a RAC horsepower of 45 while the OHC 4 valve/cyl. engine was actually cranking out 220 brake horsepower. :)

Our 500cc single using the 10 percent rule would have a horsepower of 5.0. ;D

For many years Rolls Royce and Bentley simply listed their horsepower as "adequate"
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:48:23 pm
I think they actually hooked up two Clydesdales and a Quarter Horse ...........

+1   :D :D :D :D
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 02:52:11 am
For many years Rolls Royce and Bentley simply listed their horsepower as "adequate"

Well, it was.  :)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 03:13:12 am
  The 85' Yamaha VMAX  and the truth meter.  Interesting read......

http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/113_0603_dynojet_chassis_dyno/viewall.html
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:57 am
That was a good read. I had no idea that the dynojet rolling road was that recent of a development. I guess I just assumed it had been around longer and that it was the product of a big company instead of a single visionary.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 04:41:56 am
   Yeah, pretty amazing guy with a great Idea.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.