Author Topic: Poppit's build thread  (Read 3679 times)

medioXcore

• Scooter
on: August 28, 2014, 02:04:19 am
I'm slowly getting my RE to where I want it. I've moved and painted the horn, painted the parking light housings, painted those goofy bolt covers on the side. My emgo reverse cone should be here in a couple weeks. When I install it, I plan on wrapping the header pipe in either tan or white. If I wrap it in white, I'll paint it black with the high temp paint. Next up is the headlight housing. I'll be painting that flat black as well. Along the way I'll paint the other chrome pieces, too.  (Side stand, rear brake lever, trafficators, etc) The one thing I'm on the fence about is fork gaiters. I imagine that they'd compliment the military blacked out theme that I'm going for, but I'm a little worried that they'd cheapen the look. I also don't know how complicated the install is. I know I'll have to drop the forks out, but will that cause any complications? 

Thanks guys. And I'll snap some pics of what I've done in a bit. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:22:42 am by medioXcore »
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:57 am
Forks are easy to do but you need the right tool for fork removal.  When you remove the oil cap there is a 1/2" (13mm) hex hole at the top inside.  Once you loosen the tree clamps you need to break those loose and spin them out.  I use a 1/2" Snap On 1/2" drive hex socket on my cordless impact to get the job done.  Just remember that you need to spin them in the opposite direction than normal, clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to install the fork legs.  Then they drop right out.  You do need to remove the front wheel as well.

Let me know if you have any paint questions, I'm more than happy to help.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:58:01 am
Thanks Scottie. I'm still on the fence about them. For some reason I thought that they would sit lower on the forks and cover the chrome. After looking around, it looks like that is not the case, so I may just forgo them.

Any advice on painting rear brake pedal and side stand?
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:01:22 am
Typically, chrome is a bit tricky to prep because it is so hard.  But from what I hear the Indian chrome on the REs isn't the best, and I own a vintage twin and haven't seen too many Indian models up close.  But typically some 220-400 grit wet sand paper works the best for prepping chrome parts.  Get the parts all degreased, brake cleaner works good, and get a bucket of water and using medium pressure wet sand the pieces until they are dull.  You are not trying to remove the chromed, simply scratch the surface so the primer and paint has a good surface to bond to.  After sanding, dry them thoroughly and clean the surface with wax and grease remover with blue paper shop towels (they're the best ;) ).  When you are ready for paint (I assume you are using rattle cans?), use an acid based self etching primer on the bare metal.  Use medium overlapping (50% overlap.  Meaning each new pass should cover over 50% of each previous pass) passes moving with the direction of the part.  Make sure you never stop spraying ON THE PART, spray past it.  And use light to medium coats , NOT medium wet coats.  These 2 items are the key to not getting runs.

As for paint decision, I would recommend an epoxy paint.  They are typically more durable than regular enamel and are more resistant to scratches and abrasion.

Scottie J

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:55 am
Thanks, Scotty. I figure that will all happen at once next week.  Hopefully.  I'll post some pics when it's all said and done.
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:07 pm
Emgo reverse cone and some paint
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:34:56 am
How loud is it?

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:32 am
It makes some noise. Yesterday it wasn't too much louder, but was noticeably louder today. Since this is my first FI bike, I'm not too familiar with how it works. I know I can't change the jets and whatnot, but is there an adjustment period? More specifically, does it take time for the bike to get adjusted to the new exhaust?
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:22:22 am
Some think the ECU can adjust to changes in the intake and exhaust system.  Most new automobiles can do it.

I'm not sure if the ECU in the Royal Enfield is that sophisticated.  I doubt that it is.

The fuel injected RE's do seem to run fine with moderate changes to the inlet and exhaust though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:25:11 pm
The RE ECU should be able to "relearn" and adjust itself to minor changes in the system.  This can take up to 200 miles to do tho, so be patient.

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:32:45 am
overall, the new exhaust is great. it has a good tone, its noticably louder, it makes the bike a bit more punchy and it looks better. The one issue/complaint that i have is the backfires. When i roll off the throttle, i get a few backfires. Accelerating and cruising its perfect. Any ideas?
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:25 pm
Usually that is the result of an air leak or a bit lean in the idle circuit.  I personally enjoy a good cackle and backfire from time to time, but I ended up getting the bike so well tuned that it rarely does it now.

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:22 pm
Usually that is the result of an air leak or a bit lean in the idle circuit.  I personally enjoy a good cackle and backfire from time to time, but I ended up getting the bike so well tuned that it rarely does it now.

I often find my myself wondering if a backfire is something to be proud of or embarassed about.  the jury is still out. 

since the header pipe was never removed, i would assume the only place for an air leak would be where the slip on is bolted on to the header pipe. is there a way to test that area?
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 02:18:30 pm
overall, the new exhaust is great. it has a good tone, its noticably louder, it makes the bike a bit more punchy and it looks better. The one issue/complaint that i have is the backfires. When i roll off the throttle, i get a few backfires. Accelerating and cruising its perfect. Any ideas?
The new exhaust silencer created a leaner running condition, which is typical.
The EFI has not compensated, and when you close the throttle, the mixture is a bit leaner than it should be for that throttle position, and it causes a cylinder full of too-lean mixture to not be ignited inside, and it goes off in the header pipe on the way out, making the noise.
It a carbed bike, we would richen the pilot circuit(at least) in a situation like this, and it is a common thing when changing exhaust systems.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 02:28:03 pm

It a carbed bike, we would richen the pilot circuit(at least) in a situation like this, and it is a common thing when changing exhaust systems.

thanks ace.  i guess i gotta live with it. it just gives it character.
2014 C5 Military

Gen. James Mattis