Author Topic: Power Commander Purchase  (Read 3674 times)

ruufman58

• Scooter
on: August 27, 2014, 05:54:47 pm
Has anyone gone ahead and bought the power commander from Nfield Gear.I would like to know if anyone has seen an improvement using the set up for the efi exhaustor similar.My bike seems to run a little rich.People behind me say they can smell an odor of unburnt gas and I do get a small amount of backfiring on decleration?
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:10:21 am
 If it's the same base unit that Dynojet sells... And I think it is. And you should call and check on that.  The map that comes suppled with it is listed for......

2008-2013 Royal Enfield Classic/Electra EFI European model
Stock exhaust
Stock or aftermarket replacment air filter
Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted
8809-100174 ECU (Black dot)

I haven't used that map though and my bike is not stock.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:19:52 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:36:11 am
Mine still has the stock exhaust and is running a bit lean. No way am I going to spend $400 on a PC when I can get a complete carb conversion kit for $600, and tinker with it as much as I like, while doing away with a lot of unnecessary electronics at the same time. With a carb and a non cat silencer, it will be virtually a brand new vintage bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:29 pm
When I first came to this forum I had the same mentality "EFI sucks. Carbs are way to easier to tune."  Which I've come to learn is an outdated archaic way to think.  I thought the EFI was a big waste and there was no way I'd ever put FI on any of my bikes.  Then I actually started studying EFI systems and learned about them.  Truth behold, how is possibly better to have to retune your carb every time the weather changes?  With a PC V set up, you tell the computer when and where you want your fuel and timing and the sensors do the rest.  How is it easier to have to remove the carb and rejet it than to plug in a laptop computer and 3 minutes of "clickidy, click click clack"  BAM!  The engine is tuned?  Hell, with the autotune feature you don't even have to do that much work!

Now I get that these are a "retro" bike.  But I find it funny at how many people are so quick to take 2 steps backwards and install a carb.  Especially an Amal.  I have a brand new Amal 930 and buying it was the biggest waste of money I've spent on this bike.  I would have never bought that carb had I known I could've bolted a Mikuni to to my bike.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:11:56 pm
Scottie,
 The MK I Concentrics, both 600 and 900 series are the biggest load of crap Amal ever made. However,  Amal made [and still make] many other very good carbs, though, the Monoblocs and MK II Concentrics being my favourites to work with for very good results  ;) Then there are the T.T. and G.P. types for those with plenty of cash  :o
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:15 pm
This is my first experience with Amal carbs.  The original Monobloc I had was worn and the slide sticks.  So I bought the 930.  It's been a pain in my arse, the needle float sticks constantly, it vapor locks and I have to open both petcocks to get fuel back into the carb,  I only have about 3/4 of a turn of play on the air screw between being screwed all the way in and the bike stalling.  I hate it.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

NField Gearman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:44 pm
I'm not going to dog Amal carbs as I've owned and worked on a lot of bikes with these carbs and I find them to be delightfully simple.  You just have to dumb yourself down to tune them like when I try to find the internet on a mac and have to go on a "safari".  If anyone has experience with mikuni's or keihin carbs the generally are overthinking the amal because it doesn't have the control of a Japanese carb.

That said, I just don't get this mentality that efi is bad and it's better to spend more money and put a carb on your bike that will require lots of fiddling and jets, etc. The power commander handles the jetting and timing for you. If you want more control, plug the box into the computer or laptop using a USB and fiddle until the cows come home.  It's all the control of a carb but without having to buy and swap individual jets or pull timing covers off and strobe it, etc.  The power commander offers superior control over any carb.

Not to mention those of us with MBS (multi-bike-syndrome) who have a propensity to not store things properly over the winter. Frankly I'm doing pretty well if I yank the battery in the fall (which is why I only have 1 motorcycle that requires a battery, the rest of the fleet got converted to AC/kickstart because it keeps maintenance and costs down). With EFI, bam it fires up.

With carbs I run the risk of having to pull and clean them in the spring if I didn't drain the float bowls and treat the gas. For my commuter motorcycle, I would not settle for less than EFI.  It just works; always.

I'll quietly get off my soap box now  ;)

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:25 pm
the PC5 is a good purchase - you can tune your bike at your desire. I would however recommend to also invest in an Autotune. If money is a problem than stick to the standard setup. From a PC5 alone you will not get any performance improvement.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43:12 am
I have several bikes with carbs, and have had no problems with them. My problem with EFI is the electronics. I want a purely mechanical bike, with no electronics or emissions crap on it. I understand many people put function first, but to me a motorcycle is a totally emotional thing, and as someone who grew up working on old bikes and cars, it really bothers me that this bike has electronics on it. By electronics I don't mean electrical, I mean digital, as in computerized. My whole reason for buying the Enfield was to take several steps back from what I had been riding, fairly modern Japanese bikes. I would have bought a totally restored vintage British bike, but couldn't afford the price of admission. As good as the Enfield is now, I know I will like it a lot more once I get the "modern" stuff off of it. And if a Mikuni will fit, that would be great. But the kit comes with an Amal. Any way to do it piece by piece?
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:21:24 am
No way am I going to spend $400 on a PC when I can get a complete carb conversion kit for $600

Might I ask where? The only carb conversion I've seen is that several thousand dollar kit on Hitchcock's.

I'd love to go carb. I know fuel injection has its benefits, but something about a carb on a bike that looks like it rolled out of the '50s just feels right to me, and I'd happily give up the reliability of the EFI system for the unpredictable chaos and unending tinkering of a carb.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:39 am
To return this thread to the OP's question (hint-hint-fellas...), I'm curious about it, too. I swapped out the OEM redwood tree for Hitchcock's upswept "classic," which appears to be the same thing as the shorty EFI silencer on an upswept pipe. Truthfully, I think the Old Girl may have run a tetch better with that pig of a silencer attached... Certainly ran leaner.

I guess one of us needs to be the Guinea Pig...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:55 pm
.........unpredictable chaos and unending tinkering of a carb.

Spot-on.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 10:44:05 pm
I have several bikes with carbs, and have had no problems with them. My problem with EFI is the electronics. I want a purely mechanical bike, with no electronics or emissions crap on it. I understand many people put function first, but to me a motorcycle is a totally emotional thing, and as someone who grew up working on old bikes and cars, it really bothers me that this bike has electronics on it. By electronics I don't mean electrical, I mean digital, as in computerized. My whole reason for buying the Enfield was to take several steps back from what I had been riding, fairly modern Japanese bikes. I would have bought a totally restored vintage British bike, but couldn't afford the price of admission. As good as the Enfield is now, I know I will like it a lot more once I get the "modern" stuff off of it. And if a Mikuni will fit, that would be great. But the kit comes with an Amal. Any way to do it piece by piece?
I have an untried plan, which would require some minor fabrication by you, and has a very good possibility to work, at a much much lower cost.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 12:09:21 am
I still don't know the answer to my question.Has anyone bought and used the nfield power commander or has nfield tested it and what was the results?
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:59 am
There are a couple of forum members who have the Power Commander but they haven't chimed in yet. Unless you have made other mods to the motor I don't think there would be a big difference over the stock ECU
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 02:52:31 am
   I have and use one... . But I have no opinion on how it is or what the results are with a stock or nearly stock bike.  I don't think it would make a huge difference on a Bike with just a silencer change?   As I posted earlier, the map or fuel corrections that come with the unit metion an intake change, and not an exhaust change.  And if you are looking for a more lean set up, keeping the stock intake and using an after market Silencer ?   Looking at the fuel tables.... they are definitely not going to be leaner.    It can be tuned for however one wants, and how one has their bike set up...   If your bike is configured the same way that the pre-installed map was created for, then I would think it would work.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.