Author Topic: Info on steering damper  (Read 2542 times)

creaky

• Scooter
on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:44 am
I have a 2006 Bullet with a Cozy Rocket sidecar. I have only had it less than a year and since adjusting leanout, toe-in and trail I have got it handling very well (I think). Has anyone got any pics or info about fitting a damper as I still get a bit of wobble at slow speed. (not that I go too fast anyway) Since doing up the motor (now has alloy barrell and is 535cc, also heavy duty mains and big end) it pulls the chair much better.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:07 am
Are you looking for a vintage RE damper or a newer style aftermarket damper?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

creaky

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:54:04 am
Any type of damper I guess. I was just wondering how and where it is fitted to. I don't think you would attach it to the frame of the chair as that is bouncing up and down but I can't see where else it would fasten. I know one end would attach either to the fork or the fork shroud above it.  Have you any pictures.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:35 am
The factory RE damper goes through the steering stem and has and knob at the top of the stem to adjust steering stiffness.  Newer aftermarket styles connect to the top of the steering head and usually the handle or bar, or you can mount them lower and coonect from the fork leg to the frame of the bike.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:16 pm
A steering damper from the old model VW bug is commonly used. Here's a link.  http://sidestrider.com/steering.htm   Attached is a photo of how i attached it to forks - replaced the plate under the headlight with Royal Enfield name on it with a piece of steel channel which has worked fine - see attached photo.