Author Topic: tank badge  (Read 2949 times)

.577 Snider

• Scooter
on: August 26, 2014, 05:12:36 am
Reading the previous post from tressr4k brings to mind a problem with my 2011 B5.
The tank badge coloration has faded on the right side. Sun damage I suppose (Ride to work, north in the morning, and ride home to the south in the afternoon, park in the shade). The center part appear to be  aluminum with gold anodizing. The outer wings are sheet stainless steel with red automotive pin striping tape. Red enamel for lettering.  Screw hole spacing is about 7 7/8 in.
 I have been kicking around the idea of painting the tank and fenders in the future, altho the black enamel and the gold pin striping on the tank are fine. I would like to have a different color. If I leave the badges off, I will have to TIG the badge mounting holes, grind and sand, as the mounting screw holes show welding divots. 
 It would probably be easier to order the new style tank badges. Does anyone know if they mount the same way? Are they more durable?
 But it is more fun to think up new color combos. Open for suggestions.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:22:56 am
on my black b5/silver i thought they looked like they were just stuck on to the tank. really don't recall any screws holding them there but could be wrong too!
as for re-painting the bike that would not be a very hard task to do when compared to doing a full re-spray on a car - engine bay/boot/ door jams the works.
i personally think you could do it with a few custom colour rattle cans. .....i know i could and then hit it with a few top coats of clear.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:09 am
The new tank badges are attached with some sort of adhesive, although I don't know what kind.  No screws, and no screw holes in the tank, I assume.  They look like they conform to the tank very well, while our metal badges resist.  No reflective red stripes.  I think they must be plastic?

The green/gold-stripe B5 badge has the "gold" field behind the text.  The black/silver-stripe B5 badge has a silver field behind the text.  Here's a photo posted by Gremlin:

And, here's the new, new badge - more stylized shape, and everyone's favorite typeface:

And, for comparison, the old badge:

Yes, that striping tape is reflective!

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:55 pm
I love the new style of that badge, but i think my knee pads will get in the way.

Otherwise the look would be perfect.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:03:26 pm
The older b5s had screw on badges, but after many alignment problems, they went to adhesive.  3M sells durable automotive adhesive tape.

Scott