Author Topic: Something You Don't See Everyday  (Read 1556 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: August 21, 2014, 10:34:55 pm
I know quite a few of you are firearm owners and have more than a little interest in them.  With that in mind, I think this might interest you:

As a member of a muzzleloading firearm forum, flintlocks aren't anything special to me.  I own more than 8 of them.

The lock that preceded the flintlock was the wheel-lock, a lock seldom seen in these modern times.  When it is seen, it is usually a part of a gun that was built over 300 years ago.

Wheel-locks were very complex and owned by the very rich.

Rather than using a piece of flint striking the frizzen to make the sparks that light the priming powder, the wheel-lock has a spring driven wheel that spins against a piece of iron pyrite to produce the sparks.  The sparks light a small amount of black powder which in turn lights the main powder charge thru a small hole in the side of the barrel.

A gentleman in Poland currently builds traditional wheel-locks.  All of the parts are hand made.  The attached video shows two of the locks he made, in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIFo75qEyg
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:17 am
Wow that's neat.  But I was hoping to see them firing a rifle.  Still cool.  Thanks!  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ChrisS

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:23:21 am
Those locks are a very neat piece of work.
2011 RE B5
2010 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:13 pm
Wheellocks used to be relatively common around here back in the '70s and '80s. There was always a purveyor/builder at the Renaissance Faire. And there was a shop in Orange that carried them. I haven't been to the Faire in a few years and the Orange shop has since closed. I kept thinking about buying one, but never a got a round tuit.
But the idea is still around, called cigarette lighters!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com