Author Topic: Distinguished Gentleman's Ride  (Read 6820 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 12:22:27 am
Thanks for keeping the momentum up !

Let’s be straight here, gentlefolk. At The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride (DGR), we ride for a purpose.

Our focus is on gentlemen who are dealt a tough hand in life. In particular, we raise funds for research into prostate cancer as part of our mission to support men’s health.

With your support, DGR is aiming to raise $1 Million USD this year to assist in finding a cure for a disease that kills 1300 men a day worldwide.

http://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/gremlinsystems
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 11:31:40 am
We have our DGR ride tomorrow.
Tally ho old beans!
Perth, Western Australia
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:57:51 am by Magoo »

DaveTheYank

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 11:53:06 am
Well done!  Photos to come from mine in the morning.  We're in Brisbane, Australia
G'day from Brisbane, Australia!
2014 Continental GT
1974 Honda CB200

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 01:38:27 pm
Nice pic Magoo!  :)

It looks like there are about 140 people signed up for the Denver ride this year, that is pretty much double from last year.  :D  Should be an awesome time!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 09:48:17 pm
There are 288 signed up for the LA ride. It meets  up at Griffith Observatory. The road up there is a little two land twisty hill climb of a road and the parking lot at the observatory isn't all  that big. It's going to be packed with nearly 300 bikes up there and the cars that usually are up there anyway.
Then the same pack going through LA traffic basically down Sunset to the Beach, then back up the I10 to a downtown hotel, is really going to be a challenge! Somebody didn't really think this out very well. I can appreciate the work they put into it, but I'm sure they weren't planning on this many participants! I don't know how they had last year, but I suspect there are a couple of hundred or so more this year! And just to make sure everyone shows up, the weather is supposed to perfect, cloudy skies with just about no chance of rain and temps in the 70s. My favorite weather!
Gonna be interesting!
Bare
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:58:50 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 11:56:08 pm
Well, this sucks.  I started coming down with a cold today.  Was sneezing all day yesterday then woke up with a runny nose and sore throat.   :-\   Oh well, I'm going out to get the bike detailed for tomorrow.  :)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:03:14 am
Swift recovery, man.

I just got done cleaning the heck out of my bike. Replaced some of the plastic ties with some leather straps made from pet collars, and tried out that Blue Job stuff that I'd been curious about... With mixed results. It lightened some of the color and took out a boot scuff, but it didn't do the job a can of cola, a wad of aluminium foil, and a bit of hot water couldn't.

All ready to take on the St. Paul/Minneapolis ride tomorrow.

www.gentlemansride.com/rider/Stargazer
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 04:19:34 am
I found the really blue spots came out easy when I put the Blue Job on my orbital sander.  Just got a little pad on there and bzzzzzz!  Worked fast.

Scott

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 03:30:44 pm
Just finished the DGR in Cape Town - 56 riders signed up but about double of that turned up.... We had a great time.

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 04:26:27 pm
I found the really blue spots came out easy when I put the Blue Job on my orbital sander.  Just got a little pad on there and bzzzzzz!  Worked fast.

Scott

I can see how that would work. I just have this weird aversion to power tools when it comes to the finish of any vehicle. Maybe one day I'll break myself of that peculiar ban, but for now it's elbow grease or nothing. Of course, maybe that's my problem - not enough elbow grease...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 05:18:22 pm
I understand. You're basically sanding chrome.  How could that be right?

Just saw a guy in a sports coat go by on a Thruxton outside the local bakery.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 07:22:53 pm
Well I'm disappointed.  The Blackhawk developed a bad misfire on the way to the first stop, Red Rocks Amphitheater, and I stopped at a lot because I was having trouble getting p the hill.  At least 20 other riders just rode right past me.  The couple that did stop to use the bathroom basically told me "that sucks" and ride on.  Only 1 person offered to help and there was nothing he could do for me.  I had no reception and about 40 miles from home so I try to limp back to highway where I have reception and my clutch cable broke.  Then all of a sudden my friend Fran comes around the bend and see me.  Thank God!  I have no idea where I am and he informs me there is a gas station about 2 miles away and only 3 intersections.  So I start rolling down the hill and shove it in second and start going.  Get to the first intersection and no traffic.  Get to the second intersection and Fran cleared the way for me same with the third and finally roll into the gas station with an elevated heart beat and a bit of an adrenaline rush.  Fran is now on his way home to get his truck to get me back home.  I'm very thankful that Fran left his ignition on at the start and had a dead battery.  If he hadn't I'd be stranded in no where by myself with no phone reception.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:18 pm
A bit drizzly here in Hotlanta. Not bad though. I wuit at Twains. Lots of great bikes!

Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:33 am
I didn't sign up for the ride but figured, "What the hell?  They say anyone can go on the ride", so I rode over to the meeting place.

There was a total of over 60 motorcycles in the ride today so I'd say it was a pretty good turnout.

I met one of our RE Forum members who was on a new CGT.  Nice bike and nice guy too! :)
(I'm hell on names so I don't recall what his forum name is.)

I was rather surprised there weren't more Royal Enfields but there were lots of Triumphs, both old and new there including one new Bonnie set up with a sidecar.

Actually, this was my first "group" ride and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.
I do wonder why there's got to be a few who get out of out lane and have to roar past  the group only to back off and join back in wherever they came from. :(

EDIT:  Added some pictures
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:16:49 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 04:08:51 am
The St. Paul/Minneapolis ride was great. Only one other RE there who was basically my bike's slightly better twin. Mine's a red 2012 with the EFI silencer (baffle intact,) and leather express saddlebags that have gone sort of misshapen for one reason or another, and exhaust that has discolored for reasons I'm thinking have to do with improper tune (running too hot/lean?)

His was a red and chrome 2012 C5 with the EFI silencer (baffle removed,) and leather express saddlebags that looked absolutely perfect, and absolutely flawless exhaust. No sign of discoloration at all.

After he started it, I knew I had to remove the baffle because of reasons. Turns out my bike had the same idea - when I got home after the ride, the baffle was gone (I'd loosened it last night to see how it was held in there - it must have just shot out the back like a cannon!)

She sounds strong, but backfires like crazy. I kinda feel like I might start a gun battle if I roll into the wrong neighborhood...