Author Topic: Engine mount bolt sheared  (Read 5456 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 08:34:20 pm
I used a 3/8" grade 8 bolt on mine. I needed a longer bolt for the rearsets. I found a 12" bolt at Home Depot, I think, or some other local hardware store. It was just the right length for the rearsets, but would be a bit long without them. You could either use washers to make up the extra length or cut the threads farther down with a die. The bolt I put in there never had any problems. The softer grade bolt that comes in it is probably being overtorqued for the tensile strength of the bolt.
Finding a bolt that long in metric sizes is tough, but it it seems like I found some on McMaster Carrs website.
I'd be a bit reluctant to use an all thread rod. That stuff is pretty low in the tensile strength category.
Bare
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59:03 pm
yeah the B7 was not grade 8 but still better than a grade 5...  I'm hoping for the best and will keep an eye on it... http://www.nvmetalworks.com/steel-inventory/steel-properties-comparison-chart
Chris

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 04:20:09 pm
It must be a high stress point as that is where my G5 frame developed a crack awhile ago . I guess it's under a lot of tension - the amount of flex in the frame with the motor out is impressive!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 04:54:48 am
I got tired of breaking the ace hardware all thread every few hundred miles, and was looking around the shop at work for some suitable roundstock and found a fireplace poker I got out of a used car years ago that was just the right diameter to run a 10x1.25 die on each end. seemed to be fairly springy and tough, so on it went. so far,so good...
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:03:04 pm
I've replaced almost every fastener and stud I can with HT allen bolts and SS threaded rod. Got tired of stripped threads and inability to torque to spec.

mattb

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 07:17:05 am
I'm going to get a high tensile bolt (12.9) and replace this on my new B5 as a preventative. Are there any other bolts I should replace while I'm at it?
2013 Bullet 500 - 2004 Kawasaki W650
BLOG www.contemplativemotorcycling.blogspot.com.au

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 09:50:19 am
I have not had one break on any of the 5 bikes I have previously owned. although the furtherest one was ridden was  around 10k or 6000 miles.
maybe you are jumping the gun. just keep an eye on them and if it happens - give em all a workout!