Author Topic: headlight wires  (Read 1132 times)

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:37 pm
On my 2013 b5,looking from the front,the headlight has some wires,on the right side,connected with a small plastic connector. This is separate from the center three main connectors. Does anyone know what this is for? I am ready to install a7 inch light. Thanks for any ideas.    Lynn
Lynn

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:14 pm
I believe this is for a connection for a parking bulb if your headlamp is so equipped.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:31 pm
Some of the non sealed beam headlights have a small bulb located towards the bottom of the reflector.  This is a parking light and the small gray wire with the connector on it plugs into it to provide power.

Without knowing what 7 inch headlight your buying, it might have this extra parking light bulb so that is where the wire would connect.  If it doesn't have the parking light, the connector can be left to dangle.
I used that connector to hook up my digital LED volt meter I got from NFG.
I also disconnected the short jumper wire with the red connectors so my headlight switch works like it is supposed to.
With the volt meter connected to that gray wire, if I don't have my lights turned on the volt meter stays unlit.  If it is lit, I know my lights are turned on. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:12 am
Thanks for the replies. The 7inch light is the preassembled unit from enfieldgear,that is finally available. I think I will just leave the plug unconnected to anything,as it appears to do nothing. My 5.5 inch light is a sealed beam halogen light.
Lynn