Author Topic: aftermarket compression release lever  (Read 2754 times)

KB8ANY

• Scooter
on: August 19, 2014, 06:24:25 pm
Hello y'all:
My Electra X was new in 2006.  I took the sprag clutch out when it failed three or four years ago, and am finally tired of the physical exertion needed to kickstart this bike.  Also, the "gentle pressure" (or whatever) called out by the owner's booklet to get it just past the point where the exhaust valve closes again is a pain.

Do any of you know of an aftermarket compression release lever that is bigger / longer than the one that came with the bike ?  I got the idea from looking at the new Yamaha 400 kickstart-only bike.

As an alternative, I once tried extending the lever right at the tappet box with a small vice-grips, and that worked, but am afraid of damaging it with a cob-job like that.

In case you're wondering, the effort needed to operate the factory decompression lever broke the pin that locks that control to the handlebar.

Thanks.

Paul

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:43 pm
If you want to stick with the valve lifter, you could try the classic handlebar decompressor lever used on the older cast iron engine Bullets or a host of other old Brit singles.

I know next time my Electra-X head comes off, it's getting the classic Bullet decompressor fitted, same as I did with my AVL project bike. Works a treat.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:20 pm
Adrian II:

Thanks - re: both the old model lever and the decompressor.

For some reason I had it in my head there was no room in the AVL head for this.  Don't know why; maybe I misunderstood some post in the past.

Paul

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08:56 am
I lengthened the lever on the  engine.  It works much easier now.  I posted a picture in the gallery of the mod.  If I remember accurately I cut the original lever with a hacksaw and welded in a bit of stock to lengthen it, then filed it smooth and painted it green like the rest of my military AVL.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:56 pm
Hello y'all:
My Electra X was new in 2006.  I took the sprag clutch out when it failed three or four years ago, and am finally tired of the physical exertion needed to kickstart this bike.  Also, the "gentle pressure" (or whatever) called out by the owner's booklet to get it just past the point where the exhaust valve closes again is a pain.

Do any of you know of an aftermarket compression release lever that is bigger / longer than the one that came with the bike ?  I got the idea from looking at the new Yamaha 400 kickstart-only bike.

As an alternative, I once tried extending the lever right at the tappet box with a small vice-grips, and that worked, but am afraid of damaging it with a cob-job like that.

In case you're wondering, the effort needed to operate the factory decompression lever broke the pin that locks that control to the handlebar.
Thanks.
Paul

Pulling on the "lever" on the AVL type of "decompressor" does nothing to help in kickstarting. It doesn't "open" anything. It only holds the exhaust valve open if it's already OPEN. It doesn't open it.

The "decompressor" on an AVL is useless except for shutting down the engine. Using it to shut down the engine reduces the chance of the engine running backwards as shutting it off with the key will do.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:14:59 pm
Harley has a decompressor that is a poppet valve in a body that screws into a hole that has to be drilled and tapped on the head opposite the spark plug. That type decompression valve was very popular in the '60s and '70s on 2-strokes to give them engine braking capabilities. I don't know who else still has them, but you should be able to find them on ebay. I was going to put one on my G5, but it was crashed before I got a round tuit. An old Brit bike lever was going to operate it. But a shorter lever would work those quite easily. In fact the lever and cable originally came with the valve assembly.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:44 pm
We have the Harley pushbutton type decompreesors, and we also offer the machine work to install them.
We have done that on several Bullet heads in the past.

However, it is not suitable for stopping the engine with the decomp. It is only for starting purposes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:04:39 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:09:54 am
We have the Harley pushbutton type decompreesors, and we also offer the machine work to install them.
We have done that on several Bullet heads in the past.

That's good to know ace. Think I may add that to the list when I pull the head and send it ur way. Thanks!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:14:55 pm
Thank you, gentlemen.

For my purposes, extending the lever seems to be the simplest workaround.  If and when I ever take the head off again, I'll check out the clearances against what my buddies have in their junque boxes.

Paul